Why does Vinyl sound so much more alive than CD Audio?

I think maybe that depends on context, Tom. Playing a record is certainly more work than playing a CD, no?

A little Ray, not much. Actually it might be more moves to play a CD. To play a CD I have to open the drawer, place the CD and hit the play button. To play an LP I place the record on the platter and hit the play button. So I save the drawer opening move.

Where the CD saves moves is the ability to skip or repeat tracks with a remote. Which is probably the main reason I usually use the CD player or a jump drive rather than the record player.

There are record players that send out a signal on a USB cable, Best Buy has them. Also preamps you can connect between a record player and a computer.

You mean ripping; not downloading.
Download is something happening through your internet connection where something available on www (or ftp or usenet or whatever) is selected and brought down from there to your PC.

"dolph"

A little Ray, not much. Actually it might be more moves to play a CD. To play a CD I have to open the drawer, place the CD and hit the play button. To play an LP I place the record on the platter and hit the play button. So I save the drawer opening move.

Don't you have a dust cover you have to open up? That would be analogous to opening the CD drawer. And no cleaning? Isn't that heresy or something? ;)

Where the CD saves moves is the ability to skip or repeat tracks with a remote. Which is probably the main reason I usually use the CD player or a jump drive rather than the record player.

That's another issue for me. I'm somewhat of an ADD listener. I rarely like to listen to an entire album. I'd much rather hit the songs I like and move on.

9 times out of 10, I just put the CD on and let it go. While clearly few are, I like to consider albums (LPs or CDs) as a single work. I know they aren't, but....

Granted, the CD would be a lot easier for you Ray, though I suspect an iPod with a lot of playlists might appeal to you even more.

You mean ripping; not downloading.
Download is something happening through your internet connection where something available on www (or ftp or usenet or whatever) is selected and brought down from there to your PC.

"dolph"

Yeah, whatever. You got me Guthram and it's one Hell of a git you got.

Last edited:
That's another issue for me. I'm somewhat of an ADD listener. I rarely like to listen to an entire album. I'd much rather hit the songs I like and move on.

Yeah me too. And since I bought a streaming bluray player now a great deal of my listening to to youtube stuff over my hi-fi. Today from youtube I listened to a bunch of live Ramones and Social Distortion stuff, some Chambers Brothers and a Japanese guy that plays Miklos Rosza movie scores on his piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQtoWlrtsw&feature=related

If your buying a CD for $15-$20 bucks at BB/Target/Walmart then I bet you feel ripped off.

Stilll, no. I don't buy too many CD's. When I do, I buy at the current rate. $20 dollars is a lot for one CD. Not too bad for a double. I like to shop at Amazon. Shop around, there's no reason to hate CD's because you're shopping at the wrong stores.

Buying LP's does not offer any immunity to price gouging.

Granted, the CD would be a lot easier for you Ray, though I suspect an iPod with a lot of playlists might appeal to you even more.

I do a lot of compilation CDs of my own favorites. My player is mp3 compatible so I can put a hundred or so tunes on a disc and go to town. It also has a USB port so I can go that route. All that said, sometimes I'm in the mood for the extreme effort of putting on an LP. :)

When I buy a CD I usually go to Amazon first and look for a nice used one.

JonL you nailed what I was saying.

Yeah part of it is stereotyped from movies.
But at the same time a lot of vintage equipment, Td-124, look very classy and nice looking, Tubes as well, CD player are what black and Sliver?
TT have a nice look, just as vinyl can make a room look nice by hanging them up.

I don't know about you but my room sure looks classy when the lights are down low and my HT-660 is spinning.

Also like JonL said in many movies today its the nice classy houses that have Vinyl not CD's.

JonL you nailed what I was saying.

Yeah part of it is stereotyped from movies.
But at the same time a lot of vintage equipment, Td-124, look very classy and nice looking, Tubes as well, CD player are what black and Sliver?
TT have a nice look, just as vinyl can make a room look nice by hanging them up.

I don't know about you but my room sure looks classy when the lights are down low and my HT-660 is spinning.

Also like JonL said in many movies today its the nice classy houses that have Vinyl not CD's.

Classy? Heh. I suppose. There is the tactile experience some appreciate. Having grown up with the record/LP as the main medium available for the enjoyment of music, they're considerably less romanticized by me.

I personally prefer gear that looks simple and plain. I would prefer the gear I have not be lit up like a X-mas tree. Granted, my gear is SS, and as much as anything else, that's because I'd not be able to afford the tube gear I would appreciate. However, I'm not terribly interested in tube gear and would still be wandering down the SS road either way.

To each their own. We all appreciate our gear in different ways.

John

I swear on all that is holy that at one point, I absentmindedly looked up to see if there was a piano standing in my room. It seemed to be coming from behind the speakers.

I have a copy of this cool CD that B&W dealers use to demo their speakers. It features songs that were mastered at Abbey Road studios since they use B&Ws for mastering purposes.

Anyhow, there's a version of the Liberty Bell March by John Phillip Sousa, and one day, we had it on, and when they bit the bell, my sister-in-law started looking around, trying to figure out where the bell was ringing.

I like it when things like that happen.

I have a copy of this cool CD that B&W dealers use to demo their speakers. It features songs that were mastered at Abbey Road studios since they use B&Ws for mastering purposes.

Anyhow, there's a version of the Liberty Bell March by John Phillip Sousa, and one day, we had it on, and when they bit the bell, my sister-in-law started looking around, trying to figure out where the bell was ringing.

I like it when things like that happen.

Ever since I got the VPI I've had a much more confused cat. My cat always sits beside me when I'm listening to music, and there have been much more instances lately where there is some sort of sound effect in the recording that makes him get up and look around. This doesn't happen as much with CDs for whatever reason.

My cat always sits beside me when I'm listening to music, and there have been much more instances lately where there is some sort of sound effect in the recording that makes him get up and look around. This doesn't happen as much with CDs for whatever reason.

My dog reacts more to analog, too.

Classy? Heh. I suppose. There is the tactile experience some appreciate. Having grown up with the record/LP as the main medium available for the enjoyment of music, they're considerably less romanticized by me.

I grew up with LPs also and I still find them more enjoyable to deal with, partly for some of the reasons I spoke to in the "Classy" response above. Also maybe because they are more personal in a way. My vinyl sounds the way it does because I've taken an active role in selecting it, maintaining it, upgrading it, etc. My CDs sound just like anybody else's as long as they don't skip. And I do enjoy the tactile aspect of it. I like the size of the jacket, I like having to handle it carefully. I can't abide the jewel box that should be easy to open but is not, even with two hands (and impossible with one - that's just wrong). I don't like how flimsy the case is. Yeah, :blah: I'll shut up now.

I personally prefer gear that looks simple and plain. I would prefer the gear I have not be lit up like a X-mas tree. Granted, my gear is SS, and as much as anything else, that's because I'd not be able to afford the tube gear I would appreciate. However, I'm not terribly interested in tube gear and would still be wandering down the SS road either way.

I also like gear that's simple and plain. I dislike lots of lights and displays on my gear. My preamp has one small and not too bright amber pilot lamp (not an LED). I don't really get any thrill from the glowing tubes the way some do, and I don't even have my amp in a place where you can see the tubes right now. I do happen to like the blue glow that some tubes make but, alas, my Stereo 70 doesn't do it, though my guitar amp does. My guitar amp tubes are well hidden unfortunately.

To each their own. We all appreciate our gear in different ways.

John

Absolutely! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom