Why don't Car MFGs care about the Passenger?

Do you mean you want a passanger seat that has more than 4 way adjustment? What isn't the passenger seat doing that you want it to?
Get rid of the over 90 degree tilt front to back, it's a bad position for anyone with Sciatica.

I don't have much fondness for anything new. The reciever in my main system is 38 years old. My year round driver is a 2 wd 01 Silverado with a 4.8 V8 auto without a lot of options. My summer daily driver is a 67 Belair with a 283 and a 2 speed powerglide on the column with a big comfy bench seat. This year I have a winter beater as the Belair is parked now. My winter beater is a 91 Honda Civic which has no options at all (not even a radio), it did have a rear window defroster which may have worked a looong time ago. What makes me crazy is all these new vehicles with touch screens to operate everything. The powers that be don't want people playing with their phones while driving so the auto manufacturers install a frickin' laptop in the middle of the dash!!! How insane is that?:confused::bs:

I have the solution.

Buy a spare part identical driver's seat from a RHD country (like Australia) and ship it over to the US to replace the crappy passenger seat. Or if it's a US manufacturer, get a RHD driver's seat from the factory and bolt it straight in. Most electrics would be already there in the loom I reckon.

Last edited:
As some may have seen in another thread, I am shopping for an SUV. I have had to rule out so many decent vehicles and MFGs because they just don't give a crap about the passenger.

It seems that the only thing that matters to the designers is the Driver and whoever is in the 3rd row watching a DVD.

What about the Traveling couple with no Kids?
What about the couple that takes turns driving and they both want to be comfortable?

I just don't get it. Anyone else have some insight into this Engineering Blunder? Is it that hard and expensive to put a few more Ways on the Passenger seat instead of a DVD player that will NEVER get used?

For anyone with back issues, Sciatica, you know that bending at the waist more than 90 degrees is bothersome. Most car seats are angled in such a way ( I guess to keep you from sliding forward) that you are bent at the waist more than 90 degrees and there is no adjustment to get out of that.

I really would like to smack whoever decides to screw the passenger and so many MFGs have lost my business because of it, even when the overall vehicle is the best other than that.

I just traded the 2013 Lincoln MKS I had for a 2016 Ford Escape Titanium. I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs it has leather power seats with adjustable lumbar and the seats are very comfortable, same controls on both sides. . It also handles well and it has the 240 horse Ecoboost engine with 4wd. Nice quiet car going down the road.

yessir, the envision is the same as the caddy with completely different sheetmetal, layout and powertrain but sure, I can see that ;-) Here is a 2018 comparo: https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2018-cadillac-xt5-vs-2018-buick-envision/146590

and if an 8 speaker bose isnt a good radio in a car I guess you need the 14 speaker bose...

go price em, and then take msrp and negotiate. It is possible to get a luxury trim (which exceeds your requirements in all facets) out the door for under 50...

Get a Lincoln, and buy Black Label and get Revel Audio instead of the crummy Bose.

Back
Top Bottom