Why exactly does a Dual 1019 sound so good?

I'll pass, just can't get past that cheap look and to have real vinyl hanging out there in thin air. Nope not me, got one idler, and if another one comes my way it will be a Garrard. They way I look at it, that just leaves one more for another Dual lover. :D

We will gladly take it, but cheap look? 1019?? I just don't get it, yeah it looks very 60s, but nothing about it looks cheap IMO. You're of course entitled to your opinion though :)

Thanks for the thread BC - I've really enjoyed it.

My 1019 was my first 'real' TT, following a Motorola "All-In-One" from college, and has been half way around the world with me during the past 46 years. I've heard better TTs and seen some real doozies, but the 1019 is a sound to come back to.

It has served me well, and I think that will just keep going . . . .

The 1019 is my favorite Dual idler and I love it for both objective and subjective reasons. Here's mine and it lives in my bedroom system. I thoroughly refurbished it functionally and cosmetically from the best parts of 3 units.

It's incredibly well engineered, well built, and an excellent platform for 33, 45 and 78 playback...

I won't give up mine.

Dual%201019_7_zpsfzkxucu6.jpg

Here's mine - I think she's a looker and am all about that 60s teutonic look of Duals and Thorens from that period. The plinth is a shelf - this was apparently part of a console at one point in time. You can see the handle down front. Pretty cool - heavy and very stable but also vulnerable to small shakes and tremors.

Attachments

• 1019 1.jpg
    1019 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 146
Another thing I forgot to mention. My Grado Green 1 cartridge is absolutely silent on the 1019 while it hums slightly @ the inner grooves on the Rega and a fair amount on the Lenco. So the washing machine motor that Dual used is well insulated re magnetic fields. And no rumble in either of my Duals.

If a Dual has bad rumble, I think it's a repair issue -- such as an idler tire getting hard or a platter bearing issue -- not an inherent problem in the TT design or manufacture.

I saw a 1019 at a antique store today for $35. is it worth it? It has all the parts less cartridge but it does have the sled. The tag says it works, but I don't know if all the functions work. I agee it is a cute little turntable....

The sled alone is worth more than what they're asking.

I saw a 1019 at a antique store today for $35. is it worth it? It has all the parts less cartridge but it does have the sled. The tag says it works, but I don't know if all the functions work. I agee it is a cute little turntable....

Get it... If it actually works it's worth far more than that.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

You're kidding right?

Prices in Europe, from defective to properly functional and refurbished, go from 150 to 600 Euro!!!

Well it seems the oops was actually mine :) I was eyeing the platter today and decided to measure it, or actually I measured the mat that I use with mine and it's a mm or two smaller than the platter, but close enough... anyway, the platter mat diameter was about 265mm, which makes it just a little under 10,5" - so the platter is in fact closer to 10" than 11" !

What's a good price for one in the U.S. All this talk has me thinking about one. I've found one locally for $140 that has a UA base, not the angled one, it seems less substantial than some of the bases I have seen for the 1019.

I have the belt driven 601 which sounds fantastic, but it's my first TT. Wondering how it would compare ti the idler.

If both are in tip-top shape, I think the 601 will probably have slightly more silent backgrounds but probably loose out on authority. A good condition 1019 won't suffer from rumble per se, but it won't be as silent as some belt drives - comparing my Thorens TD-160 and 1019, the Thorens has noticeably darker backgrounds and does fine detail better. The bearing on the idler Duals isn't their strong point since the changer mechanism imposes some limits, but it's by no means bad and actually very good for what it is. It doesn't hold a candle against a good point bearing though IMO. Where the Dual excels compared to the Thorens is bass authority and focus, it holds things noticeably tighter. The Thorens in comparison seems a bit overly full and loose in the bass, though it has good weight and depth to it. These comparisons are based on TD-160 mkI with the stock arm and Dual 1019 in a heavy base with Denon DA-305 arm. Ortofon MC-10 Supreme for cartridge on both tables. For what it's worth I'd be perfectly happy using either one as my main source.

IMO $140 for a 1019 is not bad if it's in good shape and fully functional. Depending how pristine it is might even be bit of a steal.

A nice thing about finding a Dual locally is that you don't have to worry about somebody packing it poorly. You wouldn't want a heavy Dual platter to come loose during shipment and bounce around in the box like a sledgehammer head!

A neat thing about the 1019 is that the bracket on the bottom and the bottom of the motor being at the same level allows it to sit on a surface and play a record without a base. Not ideal, of course, but you could use it until you get a base (I will NOT call it a plinth).

Doug

This is sort of on topic, at least it's a Dual. All this talk is making me get the urge for a project to get my 1229 going. Anyone have experience with this model? Does is share any sound characteristics with the 1019?
John

Back
Top Bottom