Why house cats make Hifi sound better

Obviously the kit you're running must be performing outstandingly as can be seen by the particular orientation of this Hifi cat. Bravo!

So many in this little hobby of ours are struggling to get it right, but not you, it's just another day in the sun, and again Hifi is put in its place with a feline in the house who apparently has it by the short hairs?!

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Actually, this Vincent model is trained to lay in a precisely determined pattern so as to complement the propagation of waves along the horizontal axis of the room's baseline structure. Notice how the ears allow the sound to move around without interrupting, and how the delicate inner ear hairs provide a time alignment function to reharmonize the upper register frequencies.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Actually, this Vincent model is trained to lay in a precisely determined pattern so as to complement the propagation of waves along the horizontal axis of the room's baseline structure. Notice how the ears allow the sound to move around without interrupting, and how the delicate inner ear hairs provide a time alignment function to reharmonize the upper register frequencies.

I see it! Guess Midfi deluxe was right all along... it is science!

Vincent is truly dedicated in his discipline to make your Hifi sound better. He must lay there for hours at a time while the music is playing.

Good job Vincent and walkandtalk.

I have three ferrets which help dampen my speaker cabinets and an older cat whose gonna get his tweeter cryo'd if he don't stop peeing on my stuff!:D

I have three ferrets which help dampen my speaker cabinets and an older cat whose gonna get his tweeter cryo'd if he don't stop peeing on my stuff!:D

I'm curious about the acoustic properties of a cryo'ed cat as apposed to a live one... not enough to cryo one of my own but, so far, they are pretty well behaved. My thought is you could put him in a really fun pose and then, give them the nitrogen dip. Man, if I wasn't much of a cat fan... the imagination runs wild!

Happy Listener!:beatnik:

Hmmm? If you observed your own advice Freedom, which I might add is taken advantage of far too seldom, there would be less thread craps on the AK site and the rest of us would be all the better off for it. Possibly, if you did not have the IMHO poor judgement of a so called moderator (hpsenicka) to build on, you may have not bothered. Didn't your mom teach you better?
d9a7fa3d.jpg

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

God forbid should people have a little fun.. So what if some don't like cats.. Lots of us here do, and a lot of us have cats... and the same with dogs, and some of us reptiles and birds... and even some with farm animals..

We all have our interests.. and if our interest doesn't fit your interest, then move along, but maybe keep your thoughts to yourself instead of pissing off people that find enjoyment in things you don't?

Dont want to be telling tails, but i had to put my cassette player on paws to respond to the interesting premise that the presence of a feline enhances the audio experience. What a concept! I wired Fluffy up to act as a resistor and my ol Marantz sounds way better.(just had to siamese a few wires and VOILA) ! Audio bliss.

Dont want to be telling tails, but i had to put my cassette player on paws to respond to the interesting premise that the presence of a feline enhances the audio experience. What a concept! I wired Fluffy up to act as a resistor and my ol Marantz sounds way better.(just had to siamese a few wires and VOILA) ! Audio bliss.

Except to simply agree with your findings, I can say no more...
The cat must have my tongue.

Happy Listener! :beatnik:

One sits outside my window every night, it feels cozy seeing the cat wanting to be there really hard to explain why, but it does make me feel good.

did you come here to surf or fight soldier?

As you can see Serrotta is pre warming the Nak PA 5 . This is a must for good sound quality!!!:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Last edited:
You are nust if you believe it actually affects the sound. The simple formula Vr + (v-r * H(y-4) / S(u1/14) + J(y + H(b-y) proves beyond doubt that the mere presence of a cat can not improve the sound.
However
Once you insert a dog presences into the formula, the same formula plus by applying the simple laws of quantum mechanics and non-locality prove scientifically that the sound quality increases exponentially - unless it is a puppy and wants to play instead of merely listening to the music.
Science tells me so

Lol how did I manage to miss this one for so many months? :D

My cat, Mr. Pussy, would seem an ideal damping instrument for an audiophile's listening room due to his extra-high mass, but in fact he so often interrupts me to ask for food while I'm listening that the disturbances negate the beneficial sonic effects. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here he is screwing up a picture I was taking for one of the play list threads:

rsz_hpim2317.jpg

Here he is trying to get my attention on the day my new CD player arrived:

rsz_2hpim2454.jpg

And here he is balancing it all out by acting as an inexpensive bass trap.

rsz_hpim2416.jpg

So you're not alone Rob, many of us have noticed and enjoy the connection between feline and hi-fi.

Mr. Lin, how could one not adore Mr. Pussy? Apparently he is fascinated with Mingus, as many of us are. He enjoys snacks while listening, ditto. He wants to get inside Naim gear, or at very least the carton, been there, done that. And he just likes lounging around, absorbing bass, as do most of the people here that I know! The Puss fits right in, as best I can see...

Yep, those are just some of the reasons why the lady and I love him to death. He makes it impossible not to.

I know this is a very controversial subject and it will probably be heavily contested by those few dog lovers amongst us, or even the fewer AK'ers that think room tunes, cables, and break-in are all imaginary and as we know are probably secretly cat haters too. When my cat Wheels is in the room listening to music with me, the kit actually sounds better, a lot better. And I have explored why this could be. I have done extensive ABX comparison and even my friends notice the phenomena. Even when the girl friend is in the room with the absence of my feline buddy, the sound just isn't as good. Wheels is the perfect foil, never gets into the technical aspects of the Hifi, he don't even readjust my cables to his finicky likings and his very presents keeps me from tweaking. He's smaller than my girl friend, so as an acoustical property, I would expect his passive presents to be less profound. He shows an affinity toward tube amps and is often prone to bask on the rug in their glowing illumination. And as for ears, he seems to be drawn to the very finest in musical variety, as am I and does show much better focus on analogue recordings vs. digital ones as do I. I can't argue, he has better ears than I do. He will repeatedly settle into the sweet spot with me for an album side and when he hears the run out, he gets up so I can do my duties of changing the record (as it's easier for me, I have thumbs and hairless fingers) and then we both settle in for another listen. Listening sessions seem to go on endlessly like back in the day when I was a student and my friends and I were more interested in record collecting than just about anything else... I digress, But my point is this, there seems to be an affinity between felines and Hifi and their very presence seems to makes the listening experience more enjoyable. What could be going on here? any theories? any thoughts?

I even have pictures for the naysayers...

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

Makes perfect sense to me. When Wheels is hanging with you you feel better. When you feel better everything is better.

BTW, I first noticed this in 1974 and I've always been grateful that over the years my cat has always managed to be in the room when the GF is around.

Last edited:
Sorry Rob,

I've been off the forum for a bit. I read a research article on cat behaviour some years ago: a head-butt is a sign of bonafide affection. Purring, on the other hand, (surprisingly to me) isn't so "bonafide". Cats use a purr sometimes to get you to do something they want. Weird. Can't for the life of me find that article to link to, drat.

To take this one step further - I think the head-butt is a sign that the cat has accepted you as a fellow cat - the ultimate compliment.

To take this one step further - I think the head-butt is a sign that the cat has accepted you as a fellow cat - the ultimate compliment.

That, or when they come up and mark your nose with theirs. Usually, there's a pretty good purr heard at the same time. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom