Why I'm turned off of modern gear - A Rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As recently as 2008, the BFMs were advertised on their website as being at the top of their "core values". Just like their towels. Who else puts them on preamps and turntables? Ever clip a preamp or wonder why Placido Domingo mysteriously sounds like Lurch?

They are the electronics equivalent to Harley-Davidson - rich heritage, high "gee-whiz-Wally" factor and reliance upon cosmetics. Both do, however, indeed enjoy high resale value if not 100% across the board as some opine. :)
$45 for a towel? Geez.

Glad this conversation is in the General Audio forum and not the Mac. I would need to have a fire extinguisher nearby if it were!

Glad this conversation is in the General Audio forum and not the Mac. I would need to have a fire extinguisher nearby if it were!
I'm pretty sure they already know about the towels and clocks. One guy here hangs the towel on the wall behind his gear!

All hail the Blue Meter!

How about $1800 for a clock? It's rack mountable! :)

For meter junkies on a budget, however, nothing matches the value of downloading their free AP1 player for your iPad. Just loop playback of anything and watch 'em!

View attachment 1006170

At least its a fing cool clock, the meters show the hours and minutes.
Got my respect for that, original thinking and that stuff.

They could also have just slapped a clock with a blue light on it... and still sell a bunch for 1800.

I love the blue meters. The only way for them to distract me would be a loss of needle bounce. Knowing something was wrong, even if it didn't affect the sound, would bug the bay-cheeses out of me, but I've see most of them still working fine, over the years. I just had a 40-hour lust-fling over a new Mc 5200 integrated, but it ended well - I spent no money, losing interest when I saw it requires firmware updates. No, thanks, my needs don't demand that much complication. Always wanted Mc, but it would have to be a remote-controllable model, and it has to fit my cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom