Why is my turntable sound so low?

Lamora

Hi all,

I'm a complete sound novice so this is probably an incredibly dumb question but here goes...

I have a somewhat decent mini-system (Denon D-N7 multimedia system RCD-N7) which I'm using until I can afford the amp and speakers I really want. The sound on the Denon is quite good. Not enough to cater to a dance party of 100 people but quite sufficient for a modest house party.

I recently purchased a Rega RP1 turntable and ran it through the Denon system and the sound is incredibly soft. I have to turn the sound up to the maximum to get a decent level of sound and it's certainly not loud enough if I'm entertaining.

Is there anything I can do to boost the sound of the turntable???

Any advice would be appreciated!

Lamora

Hi all,

I'm a complete sound novice so this is probably an incredibly dumb question but here goes...

I have a somewhat decent mini-system (Denon D-N7 multimedia system RCD-N7) which I'm using until I can afford the amp and speakers I really want. The sound on the Denon is quite good. Not enough to cater to a dance party of 100 people but quite sufficient for a modest house party.

I recently purchased a Rega RP1 turntable and ran it through the Denon system and the sound is incredibly soft. I have to turn the sound up to the maximum to get a decent level of sound and it's certainly not loud enough if I'm entertaining.

Is there anything I can do to boost the sound of the turntable???

Any advice would be appreciated!

Lamora
Does your Denon have a set of inputs labeled "PHONO"? If not, and I'm guess that's the case, you need to add a phono pre-amplifier between the turntable and your Denon. Most inputs on receivers are what are called "line-level" inputs. Line-level inputs are designed for an input voltage of about 1 volt. CD players, DVD's, cassette decks, and tuners all output line-level voltage. However, most moving magnet phono cartridges produce betwee 2.5 and 5 millivolts, or 0.0025-0.005 volts. A phono preamp is designed to amplify a turntable's low-voltage signal to line level and apply the proper equalization before inputting to a receiver.

Welcome, Lamora. I'm guessing your Denon receiver/amp/whatever-it-is does not have a phono stage (i.e., an input on the back marked "phono"). The output of phono cartridges is very, very low and needs to be "stepped up" by a proper phono stage. You may need to buy one of these to achieve the proper output level. To get an idea of what's available, browse NeedleDoctor.com's phono preamp selection.

If I'm wrong about your system not having a phono stage, let us know, and I'm sure we'll be able to take it from there.
-Bob

About 3 seconds of checking doesn't seem to indicate that your Denon has a phono input. if you don't have one, you'll need a phono pre-amp to get the proper amount of gain and the equalization curve to make records sound correct. Normally you' cable the turntable into the phono pre-amp, and the output from the phono pre goes to an aux input on the stereo.

**edit** wow, I posted at the same time 2 other people did lol

G'day all, yes I think Tedrick is correct. Can you tell us what turntable and phono cartridge you have please. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Welcome Lamora! Not a stupid question at all, most people who haven't been into audio since the days when turntables were the main source (or one of them at least) don't realize that a TT requires a separate preamp. There are a lot of preamps in fact that do have phono sections and you'll still have to turn the volume up considerably more than for a cd player or tuner but not full blast, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 more volume. I've experienced this with both a Dynaco PAS 2 and my Marantz 1060. Follow the advice of gadget73 above and you'll be in business.

I guess it should also be noted that receivers typically had phono preamplifiers built in until a certain point in histgory...Early 90s?? So you could just plug your TT into the phono input on the receiver and enjoy. Nobody gave it a 2nd thought until CDs dominated, everyone got rid of their TTs, and now people get confused about why they now need another box when they never did before.

I guess it should also be noted that receivers typically had phono preamplifiers built in until a certain point in histgory...Early 90s?? So you could just plug your TT into the phono input on the receiver and enjoy. Nobody gave it a 2nd thought until CDs dominated, everyone got rid of their TTs, and now people get confused about why they now need another box when they never did before.

There are still receivers being made with Phono Inputs. Yamaha still sells them that way.

It is not only the low voltage, it is the RIAA equalization curve. The output of a cartridge needs a 20 dB boost in the bass and a 20dB cut in the treble.

Thanks very much to everyone for you responses! My little Denon does indeed not have a phono input as you all suspected. I've done a ring around and have been offered a Project phono stage for $185AUD. Any advice on whether I can do better for the money or should I snap that up?

Thanks again!

I've done a ring around and have been offered a Project phono stage for $185AUD. Any advice on whether I can do better for the money or should I snap that up?

The Pro-ject phono boxes are quite good in performance, and not bad value for money - one will probably be worthwhile to buy. They will amplify any cartridge, as they have capabilities for moving coil cartridges (relatively rare, expensive and with a very low voltage output), as well as moving magnet cartridges, which your Rega will have. Like everything, you pay for quality, although when you get to many multiples of that price, you are probably just making other people rich. I'd go for it.:thmbsp:

I just bought a Parasound Zphono pre-amp because my Classe' didnt have one installed and it cant be purchased anymore. I have been very happy with the Zphono and its performance. the price came in at $200 US with free shipping from the Audio Advisor. It will also work with MM or MC cartridges so your set !!

Hello all,
Recently I purchased Telefunken TW 509-Studio turntable from ebay. The turntable is sounding extremely low. It has RCA cable out which I tried with Bose Soundlink and also with Edifier 2.1 channel. From the net, it is found that its original Telefunken cartridge is not available. The turntable came with Shure M44-7 cartridge. I tried the same with a new Shure M44-7 cartridge, there is no improvement with the sound. Then I took it took a repair shop, it was found that the portion where the cartridge gets connected, up to that point (crackling) sound is good. According to him, it should sound the same level when the cartridge needle is touched. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom