Why is there no Altec sub forum?

+1 for the Altec subforum. You have my vote.

There have been a ton of Altec threads lately.

They are still technically making audio gear.

For all you newbs, the bosses said years ago that they don't want manufacturer forums for gear that has a good forum elsewhere. Isn't the Lansing forum half way decent?

Have you been to a site with a forum for everything? They are a mess, hard to navigate unless you only want to Altec for example. I want to more than just one company.

The Altec User's Board is a deidcated Altec only forum.

Lansing Heritage is a dedicated shared Altec/JBL only forum.

A lot of this:

Have you been to a site with a forum for everything? They are a mess, hard to navigate unless you only want to Altec for example. I want to more than just one company.

I have a casual interest in Infinity loudspeakers. I used to catch some interesting threads in the "Speakers" forum. Since they have been given their own sub-forum i don't think i've ever even peeked in there. I simply don't have the time, and the dedicated sub-forum takes me too far off my normally beaten path.

I could even see a shared Altec/JBL subforum. Two of the pioneers of audio
The real audio pioneers would be covered in a "Bell Laboratories" sub-forum. But, since the average audio enthusiast is very likely unaware of any connections between Bell labs and modern audio, it would be mostly missed.

When it comes to "firsts" in audio, few companies will ever hold a candle to Bell labs.

be careful what you wish for - An ALTEC forum could pull a whole lot of folks with more modern computer speaker systems looking for help -
we used to get a lot of those when I spent most of my time in the Lansing Forums - and some of them got downright rude when we tried to explain:

A. Its not a manufacturers support forum
B. Its not for little plastic speakers made by folks who bought a brand name with a long history
C. Most folks come for info on VINTAGE speaker systems (in big wooden boxes) from the 70s and before ...

No offense meant to owners of ALTEC speakers from ANY era ...

be careful what you wish for - An ALTEC forum could pull a whole lot of folks with more modern computer speaker systems looking for help -
we used to get a lot of those when I spent most of my time in the Lansing Forums - and some of them got rude when you explained:

A. Its not a manufacturers support forum
B. Its not for little plastic speakers made by folks who bought a brand name with a long history
C. Most folks come for info on VINTAGE speaker systems (in big wooden boxes) from the 70s and before ...

No offense meant to owners of ALTEC speakers from ANY era ...
Amen!

A new generation of bluetooth crap and cheap headsets bearing the Altec brand is also now blooming.

yeah, this makes sense. I wasn't thinking of the computer speakers and boom boxes. lord knows I have to wade thru a lot of crap to find what I'm looking for on EBay.

Yeah, its real sad - had someone bragging about one of those plastic "subs" from a 3 way computer speaker system and just couldn't get his head around pictures of proper VOTT systems.

Kind of like all the moto come-latelys that get badged as "Indian"
when they have no linage to the real deal bikes...

I blame Floyd Clymer!

One of the coolest subs ever.

The veneer was spectacular. A couple lucky AKers have these.

DSCF1199.JPG

50e5bb96_table3.jpeg

attachment.php

I remember that one being advertised in the mags back in the day. I believe it's the first subwoofer I ever became aware of.

I wonder how many were made...

I have had my eye out for that sub for years with no luck. SO.......I am thinking about making one. We just bought a coffee table that looks a lot like that one but a bit bigger. The top is 2" thick and I am thinking of building a bow onto the underside and mounting a LAB 12 driver in it. That will give me 3 subs in the room with one in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom