Why Is This Opening On The SOTA So Unfinished?

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
Supposedly this is a series V SOTA from 2008. Yet the finish on the opening on the arm board is unstained, and looks half complete. Hard to believe a table that costs what this does would not finish this visible edge.

Something wrong with this table, or is it representative? I would have hoped for a better fit and finish for this kind of money. I have half contemplated on buying this one, but I do like to see a bit better attention to detail at this price range.

1416254-sota-star-v-circa-2008-american-cherry.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

Rough is one thing, but it at least from that angle looks irregular in the cutout.
Can't believe it's OEM in that respect.

It does look like someone just got their first Fisher Price jigsaw, doesn't it?

Frankly, it looks only slightly worse than the photos online. I suspect it's well within the range of what Sota finds acceptable.

John

mdf top plate covered with veneer, hole stained black to hide the mdf edge. same way with AR 2nd gen EB 101, TheTurntable, and ES-1

Cherry, oak, or whatever, the SOTA's IMO are one ugly table. Having the visible dovetails on the outer edge, is another turnoff for me. But as ugly as they are, like the AR and linn tables, which also look cheap, they are noted for being very good tables.

I think all SOTAs are made that way. Your tall tonearm accentuates the gap. Here's another example.

00000_3ftRMyUECm1_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Supposedly this is a series V SOTA from 2008. Yet the finish on the opening on the arm board is unstained, and looks half complete. Hard to believe a table that costs what this does would not finish this visible edge.

Something wrong with this table, or is it representative? I would have hoped for a better fit and finish for this kind of money. I have half contemplated on buying this one, but I do like to see a bit better attention to detail at this price range.

1416254-sota-star-v-circa-2008-american-cherry.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig
I've had three Sotas pass through here... This is something I totally agree with you on. I can't see why they couldn't come up with a nicer edge on the cut-outs. From the earliest GEM tables to the newest... this isn't something they find necessary to remedy in the cosmetic department...

I still dont see a SOTA turntable in that room. Apparently you forgot to leave one in there.

You should talk to SOTA and consult for them. In this day of CNC machines and veneering, there has to be a better way to do that job than that. Hell Larry was able to veneer the inside edges of where my SP 10 recessed into the plinth. And it didn't cost what a SOTA chassis does.

Mahogany3.jpg SP10A.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

I never noticed the raw edge, but the way my table is setup I don't see it at that side angle.

Agree that it's an opportunity for improvement. At minimum a preformed plastic insert would dress the opening in a nicer way.

Or hit it with some black, red and yellow paint for a sunburst effect, but with the black in the center.

conrad-bison-2.jpg

For what it's worth every edge or short surface of almost every element in the following two sets are the open edge of MDF. Almost every single component of the two sets are made of MDF. Everything gets sprayed with BIN shellac based primer, skimmed with body filler, sanded, sprayed with Hi-Lux primer and small imperfections are filled with a mixture of Crawford's spackle that has been thinned with water and then mixed with durhams rock hard putty which is then sanded and everything gets two coats more of the Hi-Lux sanded again and then sprayed with Modern Masters custom mixed metallics and pearls. Once everything is assembled it gets touched up, labels and markings applied and then aged and distressed.

Essentially all of the pre assembly steps would be required to finish the edges of the MDF of a SOTA TT deck. Too expensive and time consuming. Although it would be nice considering what they get for their decks.

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

Last edited:
The way the hole is cut it looks generic and I come from the Salem-Eugene area where wood working is a profession among many and a hobby to the majority. It looks like they are cutting one plinth for every application of turntable they put out on the market. Saves them money if they only use one, but they could have sanded it smooth and used an acrylic the same color as the top to seal the edges. There are a number of acrylics that are mixed with acrylic paint just for that purpose.

The edge on that cut-out would be un-acceptable to me.You shouldn't have to work on a turntable after paying that kind of money.They should take more pride in their work.

I wonder who made the decision. Most of those craftsmen take pride in their work, it's not just a paycheck, and they knew that raw cutout was a glaring blemish. Someone had to give the order to just leave it. Did he think no one would notice? It was one the first things I noticed seeing my first SOTA — I even mentioned it to the dealer. (The hole wasn't even cut smoothly, but that's another issue.) Was it a cost decision to leave it raw? Really? Wouldn't have cost much to do it right... Any theories?

Sunbeam gives a great explanation of how raw edges should be treated, and how much is involved — but it's a totally different application, handles that will be gripped hundreds of times, they need to be smooth, durable and protected. But that cutout on a turntable is never even touched, except occasionally or by accident — it doesn't need the armor-plating Sunbeam describes, just an aesthetic finishing touch...

Last edited:
There are better examples it seems than that first one posted. Here is a series V Star

1487987-sota-sapphire-series-v-2016-with-origin-live-silver-and-ortofon-mc-quintet-bronze.jpg

And the black finished tops are also better integrated yet. Although I am not sure about the cutting technique end result. Don't mind the arm, I was interested in the arm actually but it seems to have flaws.

1530949-sota-sapphire-turntable.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom