Why Kenwood?

davidguilbault

Perusing the Bargain Bins
Hi folks.

I'm new to analog audio and to this message board. I am just now hooking up all the gear that's been sitting around for a couple of years.

I have four Kenwood models. My main system right now is being run by a Kenwood KR-4200 and all is well.

I have three other models that need some help. The protection circuit kicks in on my KA-4004. The left channel is out on my KA-7002. And my KR-3090 has intermittent sound and looks like it needs a good cleaning.

I'm drawn to the style of Marantz, but bought all these Kenwoods. So I must be drawn to their style, too.

So, my question is - why Kenwood? Give me some reasons why I should stay in the Kenwood family and not wander off to Marantz land.

By the way, I also have a Yamaha CR-800 receiver running a Marantz 6100 turntable.

Thanks for the help and advice. Nice to join you forum.

Cheers for now.
David.

(Photos below are stock)

Attachments

• KA-7002.jpg
    KA-7002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 140
  • KA-4004.JPG
    KA-4004.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 114
  • KR-4200.jpg
    KR-4200.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 106
  • KR-3090.JPG
    KR-3090.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 98
I find Kenwood stuff is under rated compared to Marantz. If you are out and find one, a Kenwood, on average, will be cheaper than a Marantz. I don't know about the first three units, but I have a KR-3090 that I got through freecycle, and it works great with a pair of PSB Stratus Silvers in my living room system, as long as the volume doesn't get too high. I tried out my Marantz 2226 that I use as a phono pre and tuner(in a different system) in the Kenwood's place, and the Kenwood sounded better when the volume got turned up. Mind you, both units have never been serviced/re-capped etc, so that could be part of it. I do like the look of the 2226 better than the KR-3090.

I find Kenwood stuff is under rated compared to Marantz.

+1 to that. I have lots of Marantz equipment but I am also drawn to Kenwood. There's something about the styling and quality that makes it appealing to me. Maybe it's the knobs and meters :scratch2: I have one Kenwood KT7500 tuner so far and I'm looking for the KA5500 amplifier.

Dual power supplies and great phono sections are a couple of reasons why I really like my vintage kenwood gear. Marantz is nice but that older kenny stuff is really special imho.

So, my question is - why Kenwood? Give me some reasons why I should stay in the Kenwood family and not wander off to Marantz land.

I have a Sansui 9090db, 4000, 2000x & a 1000x and love them all. I thought I was a Sansui guy until I got my KW's. But I like the clean less colored sound of Kenwood's a bit more these days. But I also have a Pioneer SX950 & Spec 1 & 2 and too many others too mention. Get yourself a Marantz also and compare. While your at it you have to have a Sansui & a Pioneer. Take your time and collect more gear. It's an AK Law!! :yes:

BTW, Welcome to AK! :thmbsp:

My KA-6100 sounded awesome and had quite a bit of power until it stopped turning on lately. Someone told me that it may not be the power supply, that it could just be the switch. I am hoping to get it on the workbench soon, but could use a refresher in troubleshooting. But it "sounds" like it will be worth it to restore.

"The KA-6000 was Kenwood's top of the line amplifier at the end of the 1960s. It features inputs for two turntables (with sensitivity selection for phono 1), tuner, auxiliary (CD etc), microphone, tape head, as well as tape in and out. There are also pre-amp out / power amp in connections. You can connect two sets of speakers, with switching to run either or both.

Front panel includes click-stop bass and treble controls, with a tone mode switch to bypass either or both, loudness contour switch, one high and two low filters, and a stereo / mono switch which also has a reverse position. Input selection is indicated by six lamps set into the fascia."

:scratch2:

I am a big Kenwood and Pioneer fan. Why Kenwood? It happened with the KR-9940 Quad receiver. All the power it puts out. I love the sound of it. The only one that sounds this good to me is my SX1980

I have a new Harman Kardon 3490 rated at 120WPC. I also have a Kenwood ka-601 rated at 60WPC and a Kenwood ka-8100 rated at 75WPC. The kenwoods both sound so much better it isn't funny. The little 601 has just as much power as the Hk and the 8100 will mop the floor with HK. Also have a Yamaha. The Kennys sound a lot better than the yammy. This of course is my opinion on the sound. Someone else could listen to them and come away with a different opinion. Love those Kennys. Very Very underrated.

IMO, there is no answer to the question. There is no reason to consider Kenwood the be all, end all of vintage equipment. The truth is, many companies made very good gear. They shouldn't be ignored. This is coming from a Kenwood fan. My first really good sounding amp was a KA-8300 and I also have a KR-9600. But in no way would I say they are any better than my Luxman L-110. (Except in raw power in the 9600's case)

Bottom line is, get what you want to get, regardless of who made it. Listen to it and see if you like it more than your other gear. The name on the front doesn't make any sound.

You need to get that KA-7002 repaired. It is a VERY underrated amp IMHO. I moved up from my 7002 to a G-8000 Sansui - but that 7002 sure is sweet!!

Hi folks.

I'm new to analog audio and to this message board. I am just now hooking up all the gear that's been sitting around for a couple of years.

I have four Kenwood models. My main system right now is being run by a Kenwood KR-4200 and all is well.

I have three other models that need some help. The protection circuit kicks in on my KA-4004. The left channel is out on my KA-7002. And my KR-3090 has intermittent sound and looks like it needs a good cleaning.

I'm drawn to the style of Marantz, but bought all these Kenwoods. So I must be drawn to their style, too.

By the way, I also have a Yamaha CR-800 receiver running a Marantz 6100 turntable.

Thanks for the help and advice. Nice to join you forum.

Cheers for now.
David.

(Photos below are stock)
Very nice. Kenwood Rocks, and they are very underrated, IMO. My 9400, 9600 and 10000III sound very nice. The 9600 is a special beast and can sing like an operah star at the Hollywood Bowl. Ohh I almost forgot, I have the matching Tuner to your KA-7002, the KT-7000. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=178714&d=1257826177

My first real SS receiver was a kenny. I loved it to its DEATH. I have owned many more. Why, beats me, I just like them. I think they are HIGLY underated. I curretnly have a kr6600, model 11 III, kr5400(IIRC), the km209 and its matching seperates, and am getting a kr9600 today. I laso have a trio w-50 tube unit - haven't decided on that unit as it is still under repair.

I like the looks of them and I like the sound fo them. I guess it is mostly just personal taste as stated in other parts of this thread.

I know one of our top ak repair guys is a fond of kennys too.

Kennys are generally cheaper than Marantz in the used market.

You can have nice engraved lettering in some models, for much less.

If you're lucky enough to score a Kenwood Supreme, I don't think Marantz has a nicer gear, except, maybe, for the Esotec series.

Kenwood tuners are some of the best tuners ever made.

These are some of the reasons, IMHO.

I just added a KA-5500 Integrated Amplifier to my growing collection and I have to say it is one of the cleanest sounding amps I have gotten lately. I knew that it is a highly regarded model and I was drawn to it by the recommendations on this forum along with its looks (Vu meters... )

I was pleasantly surprise by how nicely is sounds, and it seems underrated for the power it produces. A real bargain for the price I paid:thmbsp:

I am enjoying my first Kenwood. A KA-7300. One of the few components that has lived up to the hype and makes me thirsty for more. I have a Yamaha CR-800 and a CA-2010 but I'm not sure I really want to get another Yamaha unless it was a great deal. Don't let me be misunderstood each are great in their own way. The Yamahas are lovely and polite but the KA-7300 is that loud favorite uncle that just makes you take notice. Nice bass and detail in the highs and mids so you feel like you got a nice full range and not missing anything.

Back
Top Bottom