Why Kenwood?

I am enjoying my first Kenwood. A KA-7300. One of the few components that has lived up to the hype and makes me thirsty for more. I have a Yamaha CR-800 and a CA-2010 but I'm not sure I really want to get another Yamaha unless it was a great deal. Don't let me be misunderstood each are great in their own way. The Yamahas are lovely and polite but the KA-7300 is that loud favorite uncle that just makes you take notice. Nice bass and detail in the highs and mids so you feel like you got a nice full range and not missing anything.

You might wanna try a KA-9100 anytime soon. Or, better yet, a Supreme 500 or 600. :music:

I love my Kennies, er, I mean my Trios.

They've never failed me yet - from my lower model KA 5300 (40 watts/ch, it's similar to a KA 3500, I think), the KA 7300 (65 watts/ch of clean and powerful sound), to the mighty KA 7700D (Japanese version of the KA 9100) - they still continue to amaze me with the music I listen through them.

A couple of months ago I bought a Yamaha CA 800 II (50 watt/ch), maybe to experience a different kind of amp and the particular sound associated with it. Although it has a special sound of its own and has a Class A mode switch and all together I like the amp a lot too - I still prefer the Kenwood sound.

I've tried all amps with my Sony CDP 311 and my vintage Pioneer CS-F 45 floorstanders and all amps sounded pretty good but the CA 800II is a tad on the bright side and somewhat thin-sounding.

No offense to the Yammie fans out there. I still listen to the Yamaha, it brings out the detail in the recordings but maybe I prefer the clean, fat sound of the Kennies.

Just recently, I acquired a set of NOS Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s and again ran all my amps through them with the same source and in my opinion, the Trios sounded way better than the Yamaha. The KA 7700D and the KA 5300 sounded the best through them.

Of course, the KA 7700D (KA 9100) is more powerful than the Yammy so there was no contest there.

Btw, all amps were checked for offset and all were within specs but the 7700D and the Yammy were adjusted to zero by me as they have pots for adjustments.

As I have no other amps to compare the Kenwoods with but only the Yamaha CA 800 II, I might as well add here that as far as build quality is concerned, I can say that my Kenwood amps trump the Yamaha. I find the knobs on my CA 800 II on the tiny side, look like plastic, and placed so closely together and also the thin toggles have a wiggly feel to them. Even my lowly KA 5300 have a much bigger knobs and thick, sturdy toggles and a much thicker and massive faceplate than the Yammy.

And as to the insides, I find the Yammy has cramped innards and a busy look. The KA 7300 which I think comes close within the specs of the CA 800 II - and even with its dual transformers - has a very clean and airy look once you open it up.

And having said that, I think that it all boils down to personal preference and btw, all are great amps because they won't be here and still playing great music if they weren't, right?

So, why Kenwood? I think I have counted the ways.

Attachments

• dscn0891.jpg
    dscn0891.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 61
  • dscn0895.jpg
    dscn0895.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 55
  • dscn0897.jpg
    dscn0897.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 51
  • dscn0900.jpg
    dscn0900.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 52
  • dscn0904.jpg
    dscn0904.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Huge Kenwood fan here too. They are, sadly getting on peoples radar now, look at the prices increase on the Bay lately...

Huge Kenwood fan here too. They are, sadly getting on peoples radar now, look at the prices increase on the Bay lately...
This is the way. There seems to be a ceiling that people are willing to pay for vintage. After that ceiling is reached, eyes turn to the similar components and other stuff gets ‘discovered.’

I see this as a mixed blessing. My little stock of Kenwoods becomes more valuable, but now its more expensive to add to the collection. My banker is probably happy, though.

Last edited:
Ditto on huge Kenwood fan. I've got a 600, 650T and recently picked up a KA-9100. I could happily become a Kenwood hoarder. There's just something about them that ticks all the boxes. Part of it is visual, they look so well made. And then there's the touch, the feel of the knobs and switches. The weight behind them and the machining. They ooze quality. Last but not least, the sound. I've had other gear that got me going like Pioneer Spec but there is something special about Kenwood.

L-05Ms, L-07Ms, L-09Ms, L-07CII,L-07TII, 700M and 700C, KD 500, Yea , I guess I am a Kenwood hoarder..They sound great. Fantastic build quality. Good clean units are getting hard to find and a bit costly when you do.

I've got a KA-3500. It's an old entry-level, but it sounds great. Needs some work on the phono stage (on my list to tackle soon), but really a fantastic little amp.

My very first Kenwood was a brand new KT-6500 tunah. Then a KA-8100 also bought new. Then, bought countless Kenwood amps, tuners, car radio, audio timers, loudspeakers, turntable, cassette decks, CD player and receivers, all used. They are super-reliable, all of them except, the Cassette decks :( .

Each of the big hi-fi manufacturers had wonderful components at one time or another. I thought I was an H. H. Scott man, then I heard a Sherwood, then it was solid state Fisher, then Harman Kardon, then Sansui....I'd say no to Sanyo and other off-brands.

If it must be vintage, why not Kenwood? I liked them for their tuner and tuner sections back in the day.

To me, I love the look of certain Kenwood's and feel that most people under-rate them in favor of Pioneer and Marantz. I do have an excellent modern Marantz which is nice with its HDMI and USB port for modern convenience but there is something about the VU meters and blue lighting on my Kenwood KR-9000 GX that just screams beauty to me. The thing is quite powerful and I love the sound quality. To be fair, there are many great receivers from this era but the Model G and GX series along with the 9600 that has rack handles are just my jam.

My first receiver was the Kenwood KR-4600. I paid for the 4600 with tax, $281.70 on April 25, 1977. I flipped a lot of cheeseburgers to get that receiver! The one I really wanted was the KR-7600. But decided to save some cash to get a good set of speakers. The KR-4600 still works today, post being restored and is used ever day in fact to drive Bose 901s connected to the home theater system. The KR-8010 is what I listen to in my studio - freshly restored. It replaced the 1962 HH Scott 340-B, which needs some power supply attention. On my bench is a KR-7050 (parts on order). Although I have worked on other amps and receivers, Kenwood was my first "baby." Always look for Kenwood to restore before I take on others.

Last edited:
My first receiver was the Kenwood KR-4600. I paid for the 4600 with tax, $281.70 on April 25, 1977. I flipped a lot of cheeseburgers to get that receiver!

Very similar story. My first stereo was a KR-4400, a Dual 1225 and EPI 100s. Some sort of package deal in about '74, paid for by delivering newspapers. Got a job at a grocery store and saved up and bought a KR-9600 in about '77 which I still own. Everything I have bought since I got back into this hobby a few years back has been a Kenwood.

Similar for me. In about 1974 I got a Soundesign all-in-one as a present. I quickly grew tired of it and saved my busboy/cashier money and bought a KR-6600 a couple years later. I looked at Pioneer, Yamaha, Sansui, Marantz, but there was something about the look and feel that was just right. I still feel that way. I also love Yamaha, and certain pieces from others, but I gravitate back to Kenwood.

Why Kenwood? Money, if you want an old receiver.

In the market for a very good 1965 ss receiver without the big price tag? It's the Kenwood BU60.
PB250001.JPG

Or a 1970 receiver that's much better without the big tag? It's the Kenwood TK-140x. And, it's 4 ohm happy.
P3070001.JPG

Both have very good hardware. Or at least much better than my 1977 Marantz 2226. And they sound better to. If they don't, then your preference is different.

I have 4 sets of Kenny Int amps/tuners right now. Always loved the industrial look of them. The 5700/5300 is my favorite with meters and wood side cheeks.

Attachments

• 20190904_145529.jpg
    20190904_145529.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210105_155126.jpg
    20210105_155126.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0258.JPG
    DSCN0258.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 12
  • kt5300.jpg
    kt5300.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 11
  • ka5300.jpg
    ka5300.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
The KR-5xxx and up have a very distinctive sonic signature, mellow but not dark, almost...what's the word... velvety. I like them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom