Why most people I know don’t have Blu-ray yet.

From what I've read and seen, screen size and uprezzing has a lot to do with satisfaction. If you have a good unit for uprezzing the video (PS3 does a great job!) and a TV 50" or smaller, then the difference between DVD and BD is not much.

OTOH, I have a front projector and an 8' screen. DVD looks surprisingly good, but BD is just another world! I've A/B'd some movies and the difference is marked. The cost differential for me is $1 a month, since I rent and rarely buy.

What's truly stunning is OTA HD. We watched a PBS Nature program on wolves in Yellowstone and the image was gorgeous!
Doug

From what I've read and seen, screen size and uprezzing has a lot to do with satisfaction. If you have a good unit for uprezzing the video (PS3 does a great job!) and a TV 50" or smaller, then the difference between DVD and BD is not much.

OTOH, I have a front projector and an 8' screen. DVD looks surprisingly good, but BD is just another world! I've A/B'd some movies and the difference is marked. The cost differential for me is $1 a month, since I rent and rarely buy.

What's truly stunning is OTA HD. We watched a PBS Nature program on wolves in Yellowstone and the image was gorgeous!
Doug
i agree re front projector. i have a panasonic hd one and i used a pan. s77 dvd player with it for about 4 years and was (still am) quite impressed with the images that combo put out on my 108" screen.

then last summer i was 'movin' on up' and upgraded to an onkyo hd-805 hd dvd player with reon processor and then a samsung 1400 blu ray(both refurbs BTW and so far-100% trouble free).
both offer a marked improvement in their images, for sure, but i still have no problem watching regular dvds (now played on the onkyo-even better than the pan s77!) thru the pj.

the good thing with all this video stuff is that i am now fairly content with how the video system works (and looks) in its present configuration and other than an eventual (but not really necessary) new 1080p projector, have no plans to upgrade farther.

any upgrade $ can now go to the legacy/vintage audio portion. and it has and will continue to.

edit-i've only bought about 15 each of blu ray and hd dvd discs. all 'must haves', as they say.
otherwise i rent from netflix, very inexpensive.

and i only watch about 5 or 6 movies/concerts per month.
i'd just as soon listen to music!

Last edited:

I have a 47" 1080p Philips and a PS3. In my experience, the difference is still impressive:

+1. Run "The Fifth Element" through my PS3 on DVD...it looks good upconverted. Play the Blu disc...wow!

It's not enough to upgrade the great majority of my DVDs, though certain "eye candy" titles are being replaced. I received all of the available Kubrick films on Blu for Christmas, to start...

I watch bootleg DVD's of Kung Fu the Legend Continues, The PJ's, Get A Life(Chris Elliott) and the latest Batman TV series 1966 from masters.Retail DVD sets of cartoons and old 80's TV shows, Dukes of Hazzard, Sledgehammer, Munsters, Lost in Space,SNL, SCTV...etc... I own over 300 DVD movies,over 200 Laserdiscs movies and concerts and still have many VHS movies not replaced by DVD yet plus dozens of concerts and rock videos on VHS.
Still running older Pro Logic surround units on both systems.
My plasma is from 1998 and is a true 'Full Screen' 4:3 ratio along with most of my movie collection being full screen format.
My Sony 32" CRT Trinitron is watched nightly in the bedroom using DVD, Laserdisc or VHS, depends, but DVD is usually the one.
I am years behind current media technology and proud of it.
If I went BD it would cost too much IMO. The TV I want is the Kuro $4000 at present.
I'd want a better than average BD unit probably upwards to $500.
Then would have to upgrade my surround units $$$$
Then to replace the best movies from my collection with BD $$$$$
Seeing the stunning picture It might be difficult to watch my bootlegs and dubbed material again, what a shame.
Then they'll come out with another format and BD will go away?
No thanks, think I'll pass. Will stick to good old analog and some digital, I'm happy.

Last edited:
The improvement over NTSC is not incremental, if you're using the HDMI option. The pic and detail and color are amazing!! I'm looking at a 5 yr old Sony 57" tube projection TV and it's phenominal compared to the LCD or Plasma that we have been duped into buying. Yea, I know that CRTs wear out, but I'm enjoying them while they're still happy.
And the 5.1 surround sound!!! We don't have to go to no stinkin movie theater and hear people laughing and talking and cell phones ringing and out of focus pics and extra loud volume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's all at home
And prices have dropped dramatically around Christmas time. Less than $200 @ WallyWorld
NET FLIX beats the video store to pieces for price and service and availability!!!!!!!!
Fred

8- Because I like music better....

I don't care enough about video to spend a dollar more to improve my current set-up---which honestly leaves nothing to be desired.
:thmbsp:

2, 3, 5, 6, 7. For me.
I don't think it's worth the plunge. I'm not too excited over it. !

This fits my response perfectly...including the 27" JVC.

I don't have an HD t.v. yet and don't plan to buy one till my t.v. dies....

- Blu what????

OH.. She said she would rather have a Wii if we got anything...

I dont own any movies at all except ones people have given me. There are not more than a handful of movies I have ever watched twice.

#5. DVD is IMHO more than good enough when you consider the quality (=screenplay, acting, direction, etc.) of most modern movies.

Blu ray??? Rob

. Audio for me is a priority over video. .

I prefer living life in the real world to watching someone else do it in a fantasy world.
?

Yup.....have a JVC 32" I bought in 93. Paid 1299.00 and be dammed if I am going to get a new TV just to watch BlueRay. it.

Not to start a fight and to each his own but in a forum just for. . . "Home Theater and Video". . . it looks to me like some just want to throw cold water on everyone else's parade. . .

Maybe we need a forum just for nay sayers only. . .

I agree. However, you've misinterpreted my remark about "Blu what????". That's merely one of the reasons I hear, not my personal opinion.

I purchased a BD player about two weeks ago and am quite pleased with its performance. I find it to be much more than just an incremental improvement. The video quality is fabulous with true high def BD material, and it also provides great upscaling of SD DVDs.

I agree. However, you've misinterpreted my remark about "Blu what????". That's .

sorry about that.

Not singling out anyone or not saying what anyone does is wrong or right. Just an observation that has been building for a long time.

It does seem like there are an awful lot of posters that post to forums that from the face of it looks like its one they don't have an interest in except to post remarks that kinda upset the flow rather than add to the theme of the forum.

Last edited:
I watch bootleg DVD's of Kung Fu the Legend Continues, The PJ's, Get A Life(Chris Elliott) and the latest Batman TV series 1966 from masters.Retail DVD sets of cartoons and old 80's TV shows, Dukes of Hazzard, Sledgehammer, Munsters, Lost in Space,SNL, SCTV...etc... I own over 300 DVD movies,over 200 Laserdiscs movies and concerts and still have many VHS movies not replaced by DVD yet plus dozens of concerts and rock videos on VHS.
Still running older Pro Logic surround units on both systems.
My plasma is from 1998 and is a true 'Full Screen' 4:3 ratio along with most of my movie collection being full screen format.
My Sony 32" CRT Trinitron is watched nightly in the bedroom using DVD, Laserdisc or VHS, depends, but DVD is usually the one.
I am years behind current media technology and proud of it.
If I went BD it would cost too much IMO. The TV I want is the Kuro $4000 at present.
I'd want a better than average BD unit probably upwards to $500.
Then would have to upgrade my surround units $$$$
Then to replace the best movies from my collection with BD $$$$$
Seeing the stunning picture It might be difficult to watch my bootlegs and dubbed material again, what a shame.
Then they'll come out with another format and BD will go away?
No thanks, think I'll pass. Will stick to good old analog and some digital, I'm happy.

I'd like to be driving an Aston Martin............ but I don't WALK just because I can't justify buying one! The Landcruiser and Cobra suit me just fine.

Maybe you need to re-evaluate........... besides ..... GOOD LUCK getting that Kuro now anyway since Pioneer "gave up" on the market..

I am the original poster of this thread and want to thank those that took time to comment. I never really voiced my opinion at the time, just threw some possible reasons out there.
I don’t have a Blu-ray player yet but I am sure I will sometime this year. Since October I have bought a plasma TV, a new receiver, an HD box that records, and 5.1 speakers as separates. That is enough audio-visual for awhile.
Actually that is a lie. I had a Blu-ray player for about three hours. I bought it Boxing Day with my other purchases while I was standing in line. A Samsung BD-P1500. $147 Canadian ($118 U.S.). I got home and thought – the movies are still more expensive than I want to pay and I have not studied Blu-ray enough to know if this is even a good model. By next Christmas there will be many players that price and the bugs will be out of the format and movies will be cheaper so I took it back unopened.
I recall buying a CD player in 1986 that only played one disk for $275 (almost $500 in today’s money). Most of my friends did not have one. I don’t regret the choice. It seems expensive now, but then so was my first VHS player. That is the price of new technology.

In the next month or so, I hope to be buying a Samsung 67" LED DLP, stand, and Sony BD player. I love the blu ray picture on my friend's LCD tv, and since I have room to go bigger, I am. I have over 1000 dvds, which most of them came from pawn shops (cheap). I watch a lot of movies. I'm home most of the time.

I gave away all my VHS tapes and vcr. I have a few SACDs and DVD-As. I would like to have more. When I listen to music, I listen in 5.1 surround and Pro Logic. I'm so spoiled by surround, I can't listen to stereo anymore. It just sounds like something is missing. I will probably sell my 36" JVC tv on CL, when I get the new one. I have nowhere to put it. Nothing wrong with it. It has a great picture, but I want better, since better is out there. I'm not one that will "settle" for what I have, if I can do better. I settled for a long time, because I couldn't do better, but that's about to change. In the next few years, I'd like to get an HD front projector, and setup a dedicated theater room. I'll probably have to wait for my inheritance to do that, unless I get lucky with the lottery. :D

post deleted; redundant; or something like that.
my bad-i see you mention a pj towards the end of your post.
jeez, i wrote all that stuff for nuttin'!
must be getting tired.

Last edited:
Just got a Sony bd player and the improvement over dvd is impressive. Colors are more saturated, more contrast and it just looks a lot better. 52" Sony xbr lcd.

Murray

The thing is, your eyes will adjust to whatever you're watching. I have a Bluray player, and can still enjoy my dvd's under conditions.

1. If I watch a DVD first, it will look great. If I follow up the DVD with a Bluray, the Bluray will look fantastic.
2. If I watch a Bluray first, it will look fantastic. If I follow the Bluray up with a DVD or standard comcast broadcasting, I them become shocked at how poor the qaulity actually is, and it becomes nearly unwatchable.

Bluray is the type of thing, you will never miss until you got it. With that being said, if you don't have it, and don't need it, don't get it.

The thing is, your eyes will adjust to whatever you're watching. I have a Bluray player, and can still enjoy my dvd's under conditions.

1. If I watch a DVD first, it will look great. If I follow up the DVD with a Bluray, the Bluray will look fantastic.
2. If I watch a Bluray first, it will look fantastic. If I follow the Bluray up with a DVD or standard comcast broadcasting, I them become shocked at how poor the qaulity actually is, and it becomes nearly unwatchable.

Bluray is the type of thing, you will never miss until you got it. With that being said, if you don't have it, and don't need it, don't get it.

how could anyone actually 'need' blu ray? or, for that matter, any of this a/v stuff? these are luxurys.
'want' maybe?

then again, if i didn't have all this a/v stuff i have, i'd probably jump off a cliff somewhere.

so maybe we do 'need' it.:scratch2:

how could anyone actually 'need' blu ray? or, for that matter, any of this a/v stuff? these are luxurys.
'want' maybe?

then again, if i didn't have all this a/v stuff i have, i'd probably jump off a cliff somewhere.

so maybe we do 'need' it.:scratch2:

I'll answer your question this way. Knowbody really needs more than a $126.49 dollar Wallmart.... "J-Win Vertical Stereo System w/ 4-CD Changer
J-Win Vertical Stereo System w/ 4-CD Changer", do they?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9189620

I'm open to the idea, that there is a group of people out there, that believe they do?

So if you only listen to a BPC bookshelf all-in-one system, you'd be happy with it as long as you didn't follow it up with something like, say, a Kenwood 700 rig?

Back
Top Bottom