Why no dedicated forums for Preamplifiers?

mac mini

I just replaced my preamp on Wednesday, it was a dog but I won't name it or flame it, at least not until I sell it on EBay. But it was only thru dumb luck that I got something better. And why, well AK doesn't have a dedicated forum to discuss the merits of preamplifiers. So I bought one blind and thankfully am very happy. You have tuners (although most for profit stations S**K), you have MacInstosh (I ain't rich) but no preamplifiers. I would argue that if digital is your method of play back the most important components are preamplifier and speakers. And while I'm ranting, how come no dedicated forum for cartridges. It's been a long time since I've listened to vinyl but as I remember there was a lot of difference between Shure, Empire, and Audio Technica. Comments?

cartridges go with turntables...so that's the forum discussions on carts live.
turntables forum was recently divorced from tapes.(at least since I've been a member)

as for a dedicated pre-amp forum, I don't think there would be enough need for that on its own. I could be mistaken though

there are so many forums to choose from already, tube audio, general audio...vintage solid state... pre-amps could fit in there somewhere

AK is massive and has a very useful search function, but you must use search words longer than 3 letters. There has been a bunch of discussions on preamps in the past, and I agree 100% in the importance a good preamp plays in audio. If you don't find a discussion that you find helpful, start one with specific questions or just one looking for opinions.

But preamps do fit into the above forums treserious mentions above.

imo, the preamp is the thing which affects the sound the most and has been the hardest thing for me to find. Trying to find a preamp which suits me, I used the search function and asked in General Audio.
I actually think a separate forum would get you LESS responses. If you post in a Preamp forum,only those that go there will see. Everyone visits General - so is a better chance someone will have what I am looking at or have had experience with it.
There are times when I prefer to ask in the general audio forum instead of a specific forum as I know more eyes will see it (did I just admit that out loud)

IMHO the speakers are usually what makes or breaks your system, they after all are your systems voice. However a preamp is very important as well.
I have experimented with various preamp/amp combinations over the years and have found that usually (not always mind you) that using the matching preamp for your amp is a good bet, or perhaps a good start at the very least
Good manufactors spend alot of time engineering their products to go well together, so using your amps mate can eliminate one match problem, and usally helps selecting your other supporting gear.
Probably one of the main reasons I'm such a H/K fan, is that basically their equipment, more or less, is neutral sounding, which makes selecting associated equipment a breeze.

I'm old school - recording/source/pre/power/speaker in that order. Let me add some reasoning...

If the recording sucks, nothing you do afterwards can ever make it better.

If the source (turntable/cd/tuner/cassette) doesn't pull every ounce of music off the recording, and do it in a good way, then the recording, even if a good one, will sound not as good as it could on a better source setup.

You need a solid preamp to make use of the good recording and data, if the preamp starts losing some of the data, then anything down the track (power amp/speaker) can make it up.

Power amp probably isn't critical, but I've placed it ahead of speakers for one reason - it has to be able to DRIVE the speakers. A 5 watt SET would struggle with a 86db 4ohm load set of speakers for a variety of reasons. Same said amp with a 92db 8ohm speaker would sing (load wise). Good speakers coupled to a bad power amp that can't drive them properly will never sing as good as they have the potential to.

speakers came last for all the reasons above. If all of the above components are good, and you have even mediocre speakers, the odds are they'll still sing nicely. Maybe not as good as is possible with more expensive speakers, but they'll still sound pretty good imho. Better speakers will have more detail, smoother top end, deeper bass, better soundstanging, etc than their cheaper counterparts as a rule. Not always, but generally speaking.

I'd like to see a separate pre amp section as well - sadly, most people don't seem to go the pre/power route for a variety of reasons - space, money, simply don't see the need, complexity, and so on and so forth. Since pres aren't really super popular, there's less talk about them, and that means the mods/admins have to make a decision on whether a sub forum would get sufficient traffic to warrant having it in the first place.

Dave

Last edited:
Hmmm... I suppose we really need 2 pre-amp forums then....

One for tube based pre-amps and a separate one for solid-state pre-amps.

Damn... where do we put the hybrid pre-amps?

Oh.. and I guess a separate forum for pre-amps with XLR balanced outputs would be a good idea too?

I'm old school - recording/source/pre/power/speaker in that order. Let me add some reasoning...

If the source (turntable/cd/tuner/cassette) doesn't pull every ounce of music off the recording, and do it in a good way, then the recording, even if a good one, will sound not as good as it could on a better source setup.

You need a solid preamp to make use of the good recording and data, if the preamp starts losing some of the data, then anything down the track (power amp/speaker) can't make it up.

Power amp probably isn't critical, but I've placed it ahead of speakers for one reason - it has to be able to DRIVE the speakers. A 5 watt SET would struggle with a 86db 4ohm load set of speakers for a variety of reasons. Same said amp with a 92db 8ohm speaker would sing (load wise). Good speakers coupled to a bad power amp that can't drive them properly will never sing as good as they have the potential to.

speakers came last for all the reasons above. If all of the above components are good, and you have even mediocre speakers, the odds are they'll still sing nicely. Maybe not as good as is possible with more expensive speakers, but they'll still sound pretty good imho. Better speakers will have more detail, smoother top end, deeper bass, better soundstanging, etc than their cheaper counterparts as a rule. Not always, but generally speaking.

I'd like to see a separate pre amp section as well - sadly, most people don't seem to go the pre/power route for a variety of reasons - space, money, simply don't see the need, complexity, and so on and so forth. Since pres aren't really super popular, there's less talk about them, and that means the mods/admins have to make a decision on whether a sub forum would get sufficient traffic to warrant having it in the first place.

Dave

I must be missing something, how is a analog preamp going to loose data? Unless were are talking digital, or bad connections. On a purely electronics level, if were are talking about deviating the original signal waveform, or even perhaps data loss as you have suggested- wouldn't a physical device like a speaker have more of a chance for 'error' or deviation? Let alone the sound waves floating into the room.
Good source material is a given I would assume.
I understand the importance of a good preamp, or perhaps the proper matching of components-to me very important.
I think the problem you run into with speakers, is that unless they are really bad, our ears become accustomed to how they sound, we adjust. Being accustomed to how they sound isn't the same as sounding good. Let alone listening fatigue and the like.
A side by side comparision (yes I know about level matching, etc) can tell you what your missing with a mediocre set. Of course this assumes each speaker is being properly driven by the amp.
To me, even with a modest system, the matching of components, their true compatibilty, is probably more important than a specific preamp., or perhaps speakers as well, as you suggest.
Having said this, I still think the speakers have the biggest potential of really making your system sound good, or mediocre.
Classic case for me- I thought my good old Omega 300's sounded pretty darn good back in the day, till I heard a set of Large Advents, driven by the same receiver, not side by side, but at a freinds house. Clearly better sounding with real bass.
I think both sets of speakers were properly driven by the SX-750's, or at least close.
Thats when I knew the importance of good speakers. Perhaps I was mistaken earlier in saying they were the most important component, but I can't imagine they are any less important than a preamp.
I do know, that once you go up in system resolution and component price, each component becomes more critical, their matching more essential, it's fine tuning. Again it won't make a medioce speaker sound any better, you might think it does till you hear a different speaker plugged into your system.
In the end, I think alot of it is apples and oranges-perhaps it's not the preamp you are looking for, it's a better speaker. Or maybe it is the preamp. Again component matching. And one has to add your listening room as well, another important component. Perhaps those speakers you think should sound good, in reality will never sound as good as you want given your listening room size, shape, distance, etc, even though you have the right electronics driving them.

Last edited:
Several years back when I was on the hunt for a pre-amp, I got plenty of info off of AK. There are lots of threads about them. If you search just for preamps, you get 40 pages. If you look for preamp in General discussions, 40 more pages. You will have to muddle thru some fluff, but there is alot of info there :)

So, what did you get?

You need a solid preamp to make use of the good recording and data, if the preamp starts losing some of the data, then anything down the track (power amp/speaker) can make it up.

Dave

Of course, I completely disagree and put speakers first, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. There is no one component (maybe besides the room) that more influences the overall sound of your system more than speakers...that's my logic and I'm sticking to it. :)

I have seen so many times people change upstream components and tweak and tweak and tweak to try to get the "right" sound when, IMO, changing the speakers to something they actually liked the sound of in the first place probably would have fixed it all in one fell swoop.

Of course, I completely disagree and put speakers first, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. There is no one component (maybe besides the room) that more influences the overall sound of your system more than speakers...that's my logic and I'm sticking to it. :)

I have seen so many times people change upstream components and tweak and tweak and tweak to try to get the "right" sound when, IMO, changing the speakers to something they actually liked the sound of in the first place probably would have fixed it all in one fell swoop.

Nicely put:thmbsp:! Yeah, looking over my experience over the years, including the Omega experience, I'd have to give the edge to speakers.
With the exception of the data loss, I was trying to work over in my mind in my last post how upstream components would make a bigger difference, and I have concluded they still don't make a bigger difference than speakers, probably due to the fact speakers are a dynamic, physical component, dealing with a infinite numer of room acoustics.
And the very least preamps aren't anymore important.
Probably why I picked up another pair of ESS AMT3's, as they made a huge difference in how both my systems sound, each has different amps and preamps, source componets, but these speakers made a much bigger difference than changing out either preamp would.
Perhaps some have concluding the preamp importance because speakers can be a pain to move, the WAF factor and the like, switching electronics is a easier path, doesn't really change the landscape.
The old advice when looking at a totally new system, using the most possible $$ to get the best sounding speakers still holds true. Stereo Review didn't get everything wrong......

Last edited:

Kinda my thoughts too. Speakers first, source second, everything in between third.

Great idea! and then...

.. we can get a forum for capacitors. ...and resistors. Should we have separate forums for phillips head and standard screws as well?

I have personally wondered why there is no Yamaha forum, when Sansui, a defunct company as far as high end audio goes, gets one. Yamaha does still make audio gear, even seperates.

It's a discrete assembly not a 50 cent component...

.. we can get a forum for capacitors. ...and resistors. Should we have separate forums for phillips head and standard screws as well?
Preamplifiers are a discrete assembly that can cost hundreds of dollars and greatly influence the sound. I own 4 of them and you can really hear a difference. *EDITED BY MODERATOR* I take the point there are a lot of forums that don't get much traffic and have no idea what percentage of AKers actually own a preamp or take an interest in one.

There's a lot of great information in AK archives but the search engine isn't the greatest. I often do better by going to google with something like "preampflier Audio Karma".

The suggestion to just use the general forum and present a question is a good one, I'm in the market for a tuner and will give it a try.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... I suppose we really need 2 pre-amp forums then....

One for tube based pre-amps and a separate one for solid-state pre-amps.

Damn... where do we put the hybrid pre-amps?

Oh.. and I guess a separate forum for pre-amps with XLR balanced outputs would be a good idea too?

Are we talking phono preamps, control line-level preamps, or all of the above?

Then there's that oddity, a "passive preamp". :D Still tryin' to figure out a passive amplifier.. :scratch2:

preamp (and amp) questions generally go in either the Vintage Solid State, Tube Audio, or Modern Day Hi-Fi -- whichever you think fits your situation best. it's never bothered me. the point is well made that a wider audience is usually desirable, and you get that in a more general forum like those above.

OK - and if your source and preamp aren't getting the best out of your CDs & LPs, then what your speakers play will not be totally as accurate as is possible. Do you want to get as much information off the source, and as accurately as possibly, or just have a speaker that sounds good in your room (but not necessarily accurate)?

Dave

AK Search has a place to search using Google. I find more useful information that way, than the standard search. (And, you don't have to wait 10 sec. between searches!)

I'm of the mind that the more specialized forums get, the less traffic they will have. Posting a question or whatever in VSS will get far more views and responses than if there was a dedicated preamp forum. AK seems pretty logically laid out right now, with the exception of the individual manufacturer forums. (Linn?)

Back
Top Bottom