Why No Love For Technics 1200 By Audio Stores and Audiophiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm baffled. You yourself say it produces 'a decent sound quality', not 'superlative sound quality'. Wouldn't it be inherent in audiophilia not to be satisfied with decent?
It's possible to think a turntable is good, but not great, without hating it, but apparently you won't allow that option.
There have been plenty of audiophiles who were excessively unhappy with digital sources, and somehow that abhorrence seems to have been transferred to a supposed hatred of the SL 1200. None of this makes any real sense, but there do seem to be people who like Technics equipment and seem believe that any thing other than universal acclaim is proof of widespread hating - this is not the only thread of this sort.

Everytime i bring up the subject of Technics 1200mk2s in hi end audio stores and when speaking to audiophiles i get a pause or a kind of look down upon this table.

1. Because it solves all drive system issues
2. Because it makes their career as audiophiles pointless
3. Because it's easily accessible to music lovers, not just 'gear heads'
4. Because it's the great equalizer between J.Q. Public music lover and the faux gear elite (see 1. and 3. above)
5. Because it will still be in heavy use long after other tables have passed
6. Because it's aftermarket existence is a drain on their income and self-esteem

Just imagine walking into a high end audio store and buying a high end audiophile turntable, and then picking it up and just throwing it into the back of a van to take it home - SHOCK HORROR.
It's a myth. No one tosses their SL-12XX in a back of a van. They may place it there, in a padded carrying case, but if it gets tossed, the dust cover smashes like any dust cover, the tonearm plastic rest lock ring breaks up, whatever stylus is on the cart may just become airborne together with the counterweight and bits and pieces of the headshell, and if it's tossed hard enough the PCB's crack. It's been documented countless times here. Once and for all - it's a myth!

Wouldn't it be inherent in audiophilia not to be satisfied with decent?
We got compact disk transports and fancy DACs for "decent".

There is of course nothing wrong in liking a 1200, audio is to a large extent subjective. I have a 1200 myself.
What is good though is to have some perspective on SQ. How can a really good TT sound? What are the different reasons for a TT to sound really good?

1. Because it solves all drive system issues
2. Because it makes their career as audiophiles pointless
3. Because it's easily accessible to music lovers, not just 'gear heads'
4. Because it's the great equalizer between J.Q. Public music lover and the faux gear elite (see 1. and 3. above)
5. Because it will still be in heavy use long after other tables have passed
6. Because it's aftermarket existence is a drain on their income and self-esteem
Don't hold back Brother!:rflmao:

It's a myth. No one tosses their SL-12XX in a back of a van.

Sir, with all due respect, I did as much in 2011 with the last two new in box 1200s in my town, in cold February with my pos Ford (now recycled, lol).

While this was happening one salesman recalled with wide-eyed amazement of the beatings 1200s took in the field (dj shows), but still worked perfectly during the performance. Dude was shaking his head in awe.

The typical mass market direct drive, which the 1200 certainly was, had terrible issues with isolation from the bass output of many speaker systems.

Add to that a marginal arm and the consumer desire for auto or semi automatic tables, just left the Technics missing on both the market segments.

A general weakness of the non turntable products offered by Technics at that time made it difficult for dealers who would be expected to support the whole lineup to add the turntable.

Huh? You cannot be remotely serious.

I could also point out, Technics offered other turntables geared to a more serious music listener, one in particular was the SP10 MkII or MkIII. They wouldn't have felt a need to produce a better table if the 1200 was such a potent audiophile level table.

Those were broadcast tables iirc.

Most self chosen audiophiles don’t like the fact that if a SL-1200 is carefully modded to include an SME tone arm board and tone arm can sound better than what they have....including the KAB mods. Soon you will see acrylic turntable platters for the 1200 being installed that will seriously reduce the wow and flutter of the 1200 !!

I’d say because it violates the cost factor and doesn’t have a wood pilth or a belt your 1200 is getting snubbed.... Kind of like putting a Porsche 365 four cylinder engine and bucket seats into a 60’s VW Bug and going to a Porsche car show swap meet thinking that they would somehow appreciate your car.

Last edited:
Everytime i bring up the subject of Technics 1200mk2s in hi end audio stores and when speaking to audiophiles i get a pause or a kind of look down upon this table. Ok its a given that DJs use it but why cannot it be considered a high end musical table if the right cartridge is used? The plinth and motor are quiet and rock solid so why this what I feel is unfair knock on the Technics 1200 as a musical and potentially Audiophile quality turntable?

When you've heard better,it's hard to go backwards.

It sounds snobby for me to say that, but I have worked in an audio store and heard and worked on turntables significantly better than what I own (It's not a 1200)

I like mine for the stuff I listen to and I'm comfortable with it. There are more highly regarded turntables than mine that I wouldn't trade mine for.

Reasons I don't love the 1200 more, include having replaced the cables in scads of them including some filthy DJ tables that had been very abused.

Plus I think they're ugly in an 80's disco kind of way. I don't disrespect them though. Technics engineered some fantastic stuff, and that one is for the most part very well engineered. I'm trying to think of a table that holds up to mobile usage and , well... I got mostly nothin'. Just enjoy it and upgrade when you hear something you like better.

Most self chosen audiophiles don’t like the fact that if a SL-1200 is carefully modded to include an SME tone arm board and tone arm can sound better than what they have....including the KAB mods. Soon you will see acrylic turntable platters for the 1200 being installed that will seriously reduce the wow and flutter of the 1200 !!

I’d say because it violates the cost factor and doesn’t have a wood pilth or a belt your 1200 is getting snubbed.... Kind of like putting a Porsche 365 four cylinder engine and bucket seats into a 60’s VW Bug and going to a Porsche car show swap meet thinking that they would somehow appreciate your car.

I don't think this is any problem, why would I care if some have better TTs than I do.
The problem is more that the view of the SQ on the 1200 isn't realistic, by some.

Last edited:
I use my minty SL-1200 Mk II with a Sumiko EVO III cartridge as a test tool to see how other gear might sound regardless if it make it in my system or not. I just got this Forte Audio model 2 preamp three days ago so I grabbed my vinyl test tool to try out the adjustable phono stage in it. Here I'm using it with the VAC tube mono blocks and the ML speakers. But it can't bump my other tables out of the system in anyway. You see that will be the difference in this thread, the ones that promote it and say it's the best thing since sliced bread really haven't a better reference point to go on. The ones that look at it realistically do have other reference points that are better, that's all.

I have found in audio there is always something better, there is always someone with something better. Our job is to build our systems as we like and can afford, then enjoy the music.

IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0655.jpg

Apparently he uses his SL-1200 as a test tool. :) I like test tools and test equipment because test gear is in the realm of science and facts.

Reliable, well built, performs its job admirably, and isn't a pain to set up or futz around with. I can see how that works for him- it may not be as good as his other decks, but it's a predictable performer, that can be put to use quickly.

I'm using mine for testing various cartridges this weekend for another thread, as it's quick and easy to set up multiple headshells and cartridges for direct comparisons and offers a flawless drive system in terms of stability.

I don't think this is any problem, why would I care if some have better TTs than I do.
The problem is more that the view of the SQ on the 1200 isn't realistic, by some.

That’s the point....

The sonic quality of some turntables can be improved far beyond the out of the box new sonic quality of most preferred audiophile turntables. For some people more expensive just has to mean better....just look at the ARXA and the better Dual turntables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom