Why rock acts play big stadiums?

eljr

Koyaanisqatsi
For decades I have wished that top rock bands would play in great concert halls.

Yes, on occasion they do but I mean as the norm.

Why can't someone like John Mayer play in a Broadway theater every night? Say a year run (if the market supports it)

Why these godawful areas with 20,000 plus? OK, it's part zoo and most love that but what about the music?

---------------------------------

Am I alone? Does everyone think the giant concert is perfect?

OK, I get it. The money. But are their not some artists? People who'd rather present great sound in a reasonable venue?

I would think someone like Neil Young would think this a good idea. No?

I know you know the answer, but I'll play along. :)

The money, of course. Would you rather jam-pack 20 arenas over a year, or 5000 smaller venues, every night, for the same amount of sales? The bands may like performing, but I've always felt that they shrug their shoulders at the sound in order to maximize profits at a football stadium. Yes, I know there are exceptions (waiting for someone to post pics of the Dead and their travelling wall of sound).

Last edited:
I know you know the answer, but I'll play along. :)

The money, of course. Would you rather jam-pack 20 arenas over a year, or 5000 smaller venues, every night, for the same amount of sales? The bands may like performing, but I've always felt that they shrug their shoulders at the sound in order to maximize profits at a football stadium. Yes, I know their are exceptions (waiting for someone to post pics of the Dead and their travelling wall of sound).

I spoke to this.... the question was:

OK, I get it. The money. But are their not some artists? People who'd rather present great sound in a reasonable venue?

I would think someone like Neil Young would think this a good idea. No?

My big concert days are pretty much numbered, but I've seen my share at the (now pretty much retired) big rink here, plus the same at the smaller venues.
I don't have exact numbers, but the rink was about 16,000 for hockey, the smaller venues in the 2,000 range, give or take.

Some shows at the rink sounded like crap, some sounded great.
Pearl Jam had great sound for the band, but Vedder sounded like his throat was gonna fall apart. I bought the concert recording the next day, and he was fine. It was the venue and sound gear.
Tom Petty and Steve Windwood sounded great. Same for Tom Fogerty. The Tragically Hip were kinda in the middle. Then again, I was way at the back.
Ted Nugent opening for Kiss? Just brutal sound.

The smaller venues were generally better, but not always.
The Black Crowes were too loud, and 'echoey' at one of the times I saw them at the ballet joint. Wilco at the same place was always loud as hell, but it sounded good.
Taj Mahal at the classical joint sounded OK, but it had a too much reverb thing going on.

My take is that it's mostly about the sound guy(s), and that loud music doesn't always do well in venues that were designed for music that isn't loud.

Also, I'd like to point out that no Mayer digs were a part of this post. :D

I spoke to this.... the question was:

OK, sorry. Well, are we talking artists that *could* fill up a stadium, but decide to do smaller/cozier venues? One could argue that the days of arena rock are probably near over. Even if an artist wanted to go that route, there may not even be that option.

yes, I know, I was gonna mention that.

Springsteen with a year run at a Broadway theater is what I am after though. Maybe several years.

To answer this, perhaps an artist that is rich and comfortable. Why not? Then again, I've been to smaller venues for a "name" act and the ticket was more than what I'd paid for a Rush show at the United Center.

Here, In the Bay Area, We get lucky a few times a year, And have top bands play at a true acoustic tuned venue, Masonic civic( Used By the SF symphony at times) And the Berkeley community theatre. I've seen Metallica/David Gilmore/Yes/Herb Albert and Others over the years.
As far as big stadium stops, Besides the money, The shear amount of fans just want to go, A logistics issue. We can't all Jam into a 3000 seat venue.

. . . OK, I get it. The money. But are their not some artists? People who'd rather present great sound in a reasonable venue?. . .

I guess there might be somebody who is willing to make a financial sacrifice just to please a limited number of fans. But I bet economics of scale come into play to some extent. I doubt there is a direct and linear relationship between travel, promotion, personnel, security expenses, and so forth, and what you can reasonably expect to clear.

It's a business.

Here, In the Bay Area, We get lucky a few times a year, And have top bands play at a true acoustic tuned venue, Masonic civic( Used By the SF symphony at times) And the Berkeley community theatre. I've seen Metallica/David Gilmore/Yes/Herb Albert and Others over the years.
As far as big stadium stops, Besides the money, The shear amount of fans just want to go, A logistics issue. We can't all Jam into a 3000 seat venue.

but we all can, in a more preferable environment if they play for weeks or months at the venue.

It's a business.

seems like we let the artist have it both ways

we go to the show not knowing what he'll feel like perfoming.... because he is an artist
then
we have to see him with 20,000 others at one time because it's a business

seems like someone may be hypocritical... someone like Neil Young comes to my mind.

but we all can, in a more preferable environment if they play for weeks or months at the venue.

I think in the Rock genre, They just want to cover a lot of ground. They usually are supporting a new album, And for me, Once I go see Van Halen, I got my fix for awhile. Now, If fans missed them that night, A shame, So a 3 or 4 night run would be helpful. Don't know if rock bands have the energy to play nightly for a month.

Springsteen with a year run at a Broadway theater is what I am after though. Maybe several years.

Until Bruce blows through his $100M+ fortune, don't see that in the cards.
BTW, he is a neighbor of mine.
Not really, but has a very nice, exclusive spread in a equestrian community about 6 miles from here. His daughter is an accomplish rider. Buddies of mine have ran into Bruce at the local gym on several occasions.

Like anything, it comes down to Supply & Demand.

Bruce can sell out any big stadium, probably for several nights. The Demand (willing fans with bucks) is there and way exceeds the Supply (capacity) of a classic theater.

The same reason a Honus Wagner baseball card costs more than pretty much any other. The Supply (6 or so in existence) is dwarfed by the Demand (willing collectors with big bucks).

It really is the money and probably the thrill of it too. Imagine playing to 15,000 to 20,000 people on a good night, the place would be full of good energy.

There are a lot of these bands playing smaller venues when they get older. Just look at YES. The used to sell out stadiums when they were at the top of their game. Now they are playing the small theaters.

The size of the venue has no relevance to the sound quality. I've heard great to horribly in all different size venues.

Last but not least. Most of the small venues seem to be very overcrowded and can be hard to move around in without spilling your $20.00 cup of beer all over the floor. :oops:

I guess you really have to be into the band enough to enjoy the music and forget about all the BS and $$$ of attending a show regardless of venue size. :beerchug:

I heard back in the day rock bands went on tour to boost record sales, and now bands go on tour to eek out a meager living. Hence music is cheap / free and concerts cost a pretty penny. So if you can fill a 20,000 seat arena at an average of $100.00 per ticket, that's not exactly chump change.

I suspect that one's attraction to stadium shows is related to one's age. In my youth, I saw many a good group in stadium shows (Dead, Stones, Who, Allmans...), but wouldn't even consider going to such a show nowadays (e.g., U2 is coming to FedEx field this summer. I'd like to see them in a modestly-sized venue, but not in a stadium). The older one gets, the more one likes seated, modestly-sized venues.

Back
Top Bottom