Why should this picture get some excited?

Why do some of us continue to peruse CL and Estate sales and ebay?
Here is a local estate sale picture that epitomizes my condition...It's a beater stack in a dingy photo.....wait!!....what's this!!.....Yamaha!!!...possibly Pioneer!!!!....Turntable!!!. Speakers!!!!!

Cool your jets dummy. No reason to get excited :crazy:

I know I am not the only one who suffers this condition. You'all got it under control?

View attachment 1457464
My old Yami!!!:banana:

Last edited:
It doesn't much matter who the buyer is. Once the deal is gone it's gone.

If I chance upon some like the ADS L1530 on a stroke of good fortune, they are as likely to find there way into anyone's hands......anyone who is looking.

This thread isn't about anything other than why. Flipping isn't my thing, but I still have to shrug off the desire to chase a deal. And I manage to do so because a while back (years) I realized it wasn't doing me much good, and the pickings definitely thinned out.

Even still, I like to peruse estate sales for useful things and certain Americana as decoration. If I see a Pioneer SX1050 for $30, I get jumpy and I am pretty sure it's going home with me.......even though I have one on the shelf that just sits there unused. I don't know, maybe I will display latent flipping tendencies. Maybe the SX1050 will end up, upon my own demise, at an estate sale for $30 :idea:

I don't just flip for $ but it is nice to have a hobby pay for itself ,I also get to try out so much gear that every now & then 1 of my intended flips ends up sounding better than something more expensive in my systems ,I bought the Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks with the intent to flip & they ended up out performing my McIntosh Monoblocks ,they have been my main amps in my main system over 6 years now ,lateral moves are just as fun for me as upgrades most times .

Once a month I tell myself I am done looking and will finish up projects I currently have. Well I had to drive from New Orleans to Hunington WV for a wedding this weekend, I actually just got home to GA. I just HAD to troll CL on my way up and I’ll be damn if I can pass a thrift/junk store/pawn shop. So since I’m NOT looking I only ended up bringing home;
Pristine Sansui 2000a complete with the blue protective tape still in place the schematics and the envelope in place on the bottom.
A really nice pair of EV Twos.
A decent working pair of Janzsen Z-40 Electrostatics, these are huge by the way.
A pair of (smaller) Magnapans sis in law pulled from a curb, good looking out sis in law.
A 100 slot wooden Napa tape rack.
A pair of Zigmahornet drivers (Merrels I think) from an AK’er.
A pair of machined aluminum horns with B&C D120 drivers to replace Klipsch K77 tweeters from the makers machine shop in rural TN. It was fun hanging out there for an hour or so.
I had a pair of JBL 4301 cabs KrautNotRice had done a stellar job veneering in my truck all ready.
A stack of very nice records from a GW in Wayne WV.
Two ATM safes my new brother in law gave me for which I’ll keep ammunition, etc, in.
I’m so glad I wasn’t LOOKING for anything.
I can say that I now will leave gear I would have bought a year ago. I only pick up really nice pieces, that have to be at least an 8 cosmetically. I used to grab whatever I found. For instance this is what I walked away from on this trip;
Adcom 535 amp.
Two early 70’s pioneer Quadrophonic amp processors.
Rane electronic crossover.
Big Onkyo amp.
A pair of B&W towers (early 2000’s).
Two pristine pairs of Sansui SP200 speakers.
A Sansui TT in original packaging (had a scuff on the dust cover).
A half a dozen Technics and Pioneer TT’s.
A Yamaha something AV receiver with remote from a GW.
So I am getting better, haha, relative anyway.

How silly. People do have free will. The sale of large trucks has little to do with advertising and more to do with cheap gas and how really nice modern trucks are.......oh and long termed loans. The American truck market will never go away because we have always needed them and will until there are no farm or ranches or people that tow boats etc. In other words for at least as long as there is an America as we know it.

Sure advertising helps sell stuff, which keeps the economy rolling and people employed and families insured. Yep totally senseless.

Sure advertising helps sell stuff, which keeps the economy rolling and people employed and families insured. Yep totally senseless.

Funny nobody here seems to complain about audio advertising from back in the day. Tricking them into buying Kenwood, Pioneer, and Marantz audio gear. They were being duped by the corporate industrial complex to buy things they did not NEED!

Cheers
Mister Pig

Funny nobody here seems to complain about audio advertising from back in the day. Tricking them into buying Kenwood, Pioneer, and Marantz audio gear. They were being duped by the corporate industrial complex to buy things they did not NEED!

Cheers
Mister Pig

LOL, yep.

Blame advertising. If yours is a genuine question, that's my answer. You have been conditioned since birth to want and expect instant gratification, first from your mother, then as you grow up, from spending your money. If Ford, Chevy, and Dodge stopped advertising huge pickup trucks, the senseless demand for them would simply disappear, sooner or later. But, you say, there are no television commercials for old audio gear. It doesn't matter. The pattern has been ingrained.

Actually I have owned small and bigger trucks. I just recently sold my Toyota Tacoma 2WD standard cab pickup and bought a Ford F150 4WD extended cab.

One thing I have discovered over the years is that small pickups dont get significantly better gas mileage than larger ones. In town my Tacoma gets a mile or two better than my F150, but I don't have an extended cab, can't tow with it, has a smaller bed, and is far less comfortable. Sure a trailer on a SUV can do the hauling thing, but then its a hassle to store the trailer, you have to license it, and to be honest I suck at backing one up. But the Tacoma was an 06 and the 150 is a 14. The 150 has a 6 speed auto versus a 5 speed manual. The little pick ups are geared low to do some heavier weight carrying, but it costs them mileage. I discovered this with my first Chevy S10, it got worse mileage than a F150 I replaced it with.

Now if you get a diesel, you get even better MPG than a small pick up, and you get a far larger and more powerful truck. Of course diesel has its own associated costs when it comes to repair.

Trucks have other advantages. As a home owner the bed in invaluable, as I have to make runs to get rid of yard waste, haul stuff around the house, and so on and so forth. They also have greater ground clearance, so if the snow is rutted badly on our side roads in the winter, I can still drive. Since Mom is 20 miles away, is 93, and I am her only family, well not getting to her is a no go. Finally we have family on the other side of the Cascade mountains, driving the pass in winter with 4WD is a real advantage.

A larger truck serves my needs. And I did not need advertising to buy it.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Last edited:
I’m at the point where I’ve stopped looking for gear - I’ve got more than enough really nice stuff.
Yet - despite my best efforts - things seem to find and ambush me.

Actually I have owned small and bigger trucks. I just recently sold my Toyota Tacoma 2WD standard cab pickup and bought a Ford F150 4WD extended cab.

One thing I have discovered over the years is that small pickups dont get significantly better gas mileage than larger ones. In town my Tacoma gets a mile or two better than my F150, but I don't have an extended cab, can't tow with it, has a smaller bed, and is far less comfortable. Sure a trailer on a SUV can do the hauling thing, but then its a hassle to store the trailer, you have to license it, and to be honest I suck at backing one up. But the Tacoma was an 06 and the 150 is a 14. The 150 has a 6 speed auto versus a 5 speed manual. The little pick ups are geared low to do some heavier weight carrying, but it costs them mileage. I discovered this with my first Chevy S10, it got worse mileage than a F150 I replaced it with.

Now if you get a diesel, you get even better MPG than a small pick up, and you get a far larger and more powerful truck. Of course diesel has its own associated costs when it comes to repair.

Trucks have other advantages. As a home owner the bed in invaluable, as I have to make runs to get rid of yard waste, haul stuff around the house, and so on and so forth. They also have greater ground clearance, so if the snow is rutted badly on our side roads in the winter, I can still drive. Since Mom is 20 miles away, is 93, and I am her only family, well not getting to her is a no go. Finally we have family on the other side of the Cascade mountains, driving the pass in winter with 4WD is a real advantage.

A larger truck serves my needs. And I did not need advertising to buy it.

Cheers
Mister Pig

How DARE you buy what you want and can afford! You brainwashed fool!

:)

I guess my idea to tax advertising HEAVILY would go over like a lead balloon, at least here at the AK Temple of Materialism! Hope y'all are happy with your stuff.

I guess my idea to tax advertising HEAVILY would go over like a lead balloon, at least here at the AK Temple of Materialism! Hope y'all are happy with your stuff.

ROFL......

I am mostly very happy with the things I have purchased over the years. And I am thankful that I have had the means to buy what I have. I am pretty frugal actually but never go after what other people buy because it is none of my business, period. I personally would never buy many luxury items but more power to the people that do, and good for the people selling it.

Dont worry what others have and buy.

Glad to brighten your day!

But, as a newly-converted asshole (if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!), I'm STRICT.

Blame advertising. If yours is a genuine question, that's my answer. You have been conditioned since birth to want and expect instant gratification, first from your mother, then as you grow up, from spending your money. If Ford, Chevy, and Dodge stopped advertising huge pickup trucks, the senseless demand for them would simply disappear, sooner or later. But, you say, there are no television commercials for old audio gear. It doesn't matter. The pattern has been ingrained.
I like this, I’m no longer responsible for MY actions, I’ll sleep so much better tonight knowing it’s the fault of the advertiser/manufacturer. I was taught to be responsible and accept the repercussions of your actions.
Regarding trucks I will say this. I see young guys hired in my industry starting out at 50-60k annually. For whatever reason they go out and buy some bigass diesel 4x4 jacked up on bigass tires, stove pipe exhaust, wheels, the works. I would say at an average of 50k used, 80k new, yes 80k. It makes zero sense to me, a better investment would be a starter home or even a double wide on 5 acres which are 80k all day long. We call these trucks (Payment Princesses).
For what it’s worth I can’t for the life of me see how anyone that does not live in a city loft or apartment gets anything done without a truck of some sort. I live on a cattle farm so I’m on the outside looking in.

Yeah I just buy stuff that is so good it hurts to pay for it. After that the audio kitty is empty and you got great tunes. Buy it for the quality of sound, save the bargain shopping for the cereal isle at the grocery store.

Cheers
Mister Pig

This was my initial thought, too, succinctly expressed by Mister Pig in his inimitable style. It's an effective and fun strategy, especially for those like me who've moved away from most vintage components.

However, the allure of vintage is easy to understand; I still feel the pull sometimes. In the past year I've sold off most my vintage pieces, but did acquire a Nak RX-202 just because I always wanted UDAR from the first time I read of it in Stereo Review and/or Audio magazines when they were introduced. Sure, it's the bottom of the line model, just a two-header, but economically all I want to put into that medium.

On the very rare occasions that I run across mention of a Kenwood KR-6030 receiver online, I feel a slight twinge of nostalgia, having once owned and loved one. OTOH, one of those mentions explained a common fault with the model and for which correction was described as not for the novice.

Less understandable to me, there are those who make many lateral new-gear moves often.

But, yes, a pile of gear will quicken my pulse a little. Even though I currently have nothing in mind that I want.

Why do some of us continue to peruse CL and Estate sales and ebay? OK, the simple answer is some of us are looking for upgrades that are a bargain. BUT, why is it that gear representing lesser or lateral moves gets the blood flowing as well?

I know this topic approaches what has been much discussed, but I am constantly feeling the need to control the urge to go after after things that I don't need, won't likely use, and can't legitimately consider to have a value upside. I manage it at this point. But why won't it just leave me alone? :wtf:

Oh, I know there might be the rare find that seems to make it all worth while. I get that part. But why do I feel this compulsion to look at gear I know has no place in my stack or plan?

Here is a local estate sale picture that epitomizes my condition...It's a beater stack in a dingy photo.....wait!!....what's this!!.....Yamaha!!!...possibly Pioneer!!!!....Turntable!!!. Speakers!!!!!

Cool your jets dummy. No reason to get excited :crazy:

I know I am not the only one who suffers this condition. You'all got it under control?

View attachment 1457464

The woofers of the speakers on this picture may need not be repaired/replaced (501)... ;)

Why do some of us continue to peruse CL and Estate sales and ebay? OK, the simple answer is some of us are looking for upgrades that are a bargain. BUT, why is it that gear representing lesser or lateral moves gets the blood flowing as well?

I manage to get my compulsion under control until I log on here and see all the great vintage audio gear that someone recently scored!

Back
Top Bottom