Why two mono btns. L+R?

Marantz2270

I know it might sound stupid, but what reason would you possibly have to make just one side mono in everyday use? Is it because of using. just a single mic. input? If so,those engineers must have used PA Systems a lot.

The 2270 has TWO mono buttons labelled L+R. :scratch2:I just mean, with all due respect, that i understand why you would want both channels in mono, but why would you want to have only one channel in mono.

Oh come on, this is so obvious to even the greenest of audiophiles....:boring:

Are you right or left handed? Right brain or left brain? Conservative or Lib? Nascar or F1? :pistols:

Gee..... Come on.....:nono:

Honestly, owning a 2270 for close to 20 years, I never really took it for more than a gee wiz feature.....Ok, here's the real deal straight from the owners manual....

"When playing a monophonic phonograph record, use these pushswitches to suppress rumble, common mode noise and pinch-effect distortions."

So I assume they mean if you have stereo cartridge playing a mono record...you may get better sound quality by using only one of the two channels....

It also recommends pressing both in to create mono play back or one when you only have a mono single source input. That is the obvious part.

Once again Marantz doing the right thing for its customers.... But mono records disappeared pretty quick in the late 60's and early 70's.

Good question, the answer was more complex than you would think....:thmbsp:

johnk

Summing channels (L+R) for mono LPs (not CDs, folks) reduces noise. Why one would want two such buttons is beyond me.

Some preamps (and maybe integrateds), especially the fancier vintage ones, had a bunch of Stereo modes:

L+R -> L (Mono [Left plus Right] to Left channel only)
L+R -> R ( " to Right)
L+R -> L & R (Mono)
L -> L; R -> R (Stereo)
L -> R; R -> L (Stereo Reverse)
L -> L & R (Left channel to both)
R -> L & R (Right ")

Why? Because they could! Some of the odd modes are useful for troubleshooting or maybe very odd sources (i.e. stereo tape with different programs recorded in mono on the two channels, [edit] or a half-track mono tape played back on a stereo deck - the right channel plays the second "side" of the tape backward).

Are L+R the only captions on the buttons? What happens when you disconnect one of the input channels and press just one? Or does pressing one of them send all the output to one speaker only? These tests would tell if one of the buttons is L to L & R and the other R to L & R, or L+R to L and the other L+R to R. If either of these is the case, does pressing both give mono, and pressing neither, stereo?

Back
Top Bottom