Why use an interface when you can use this?

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Shakedown, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

This is not a DAC question but related (ADC), I am looking to hookup a turntable preamp to my computer for capturing.

I have had no luck with those messy USB interfaces such as M-Audio and Focusrite, and I say messy in reference to their fragile design that has broken on me twice in the past two months.

If I'm just looking for a straight A-D conversion without internal pres or gain control, I would not need an external USB interface correct? Any benefit to using one though in my circumstance, is it because they bypass a computers terrible sound card and this would not?

[​IMG]

2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I guess I don't understand the question. I'm not familiar with the device in the picture but provided it is an ADC isn't it a USB interface?

3. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz Subscriber

The USB dongle pictured appears to be a pretty stock USB-based outboard audio soundcard. It would enumerate out to an additional stereo Line In and Line Out, assuming there's a Mic input.

If there are special drivers for it, you may be able to reconfigure the Input to be either a Mic-level or Line-level input. If the device, however, depends on the operating system to assign a standard audio driver, you may not have the option. You'll have to test it to find out as most of these products are very low cost and have little/no documentation.

I'm not clear what you mean by 'fragile' for the M-audio/Focusrite gear. I've been using that sort of gear for years for recording bands live. They'll work well but are, indeed, a bit of overkill for ripping vinyl - but they're very good at it. They do have those 'special' drivers I mentioned for a reason: they're quite configurable for a lot of applications. That, however, can get messy if you're not tech savvy enough with PC sys admin functions.

Just check that the device can handle a Line Level input device and you should be fine with the use of a RIAA preamp input.

Cheers,

David

4. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

It just looks like a variation of a Behringer. You need RCA inputs to connect a TT to a computer and an ADC. There would be 2 sets of RCAs for a DAC like that.

5. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

There's a switch on the side of the device labeled In/Out. I would presume that means it can be used as an ADC or a DAC.
    FWIW: I use a Behringer UCA-222 as an ADC. It allows me to rip LP's at 16/48 which is adequate for me.

BobHol likes this.
  6. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

So basically if you use any A>D convertor you are stuck with the max resolution of that adapter, regardles of what interface you are running it into.

7. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

I'm really looking for a small HiFi adapter that will convert an RCA signal into a 24bit SPDIF digital signal.

8. Alobar

I haven't been doing ADC recording long, but my Behringer UCA 222 doesn't seem to have a level control. Just a "volume" control that seems to be just for playback as it makes no difference when using Audacity to lay down the data. I set my levels from within Audacity itself. Is this correct procedure?

9. Alobar

I think this is likely true, my Behringer ADC would have a fixed output and then just lays the digits down. I often add 3db to the gain in Audacity, sometimes even 6db, but there were recordings (rips) where I never bothered and because I playback with JRiver it automatically adjusts for output. Probably not the best practice recording wise but I suspect the noise floor is pretty low with digital and to be honest I never noticed the difference, unlike tape where you needed as much signal as possible to lessen the hiss.

ilusndweller likes this.
  10. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

I just got my hands on a "USBPre1.5" made by Sound Devices, it has an SPDIF input which will bypass the internal mic pre.

[​IMG]

It also has what appears to be RCA inputs, but not sure they would also bypass the internal pre.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  11. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

12. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

I have seen third party drivers kicking around, too many give them away thinking they will not work on 64 bit operating systems. SD has even pointed to it, but does not endorse it of course.

http://www.usb-audio.com/

Maybe you had too much too fast? :D
    :beerchug:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    ilusndweller likes this.
  13. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

Does this device have native support for DSD audio files?

14. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

Diid not realize how much of a rabbit hole DSD actually is, should probably stick to FLAC! :biggrin:

C2rice likes this.
  15. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

I have contacted Timo himself and am waiting on a response, I have been trying out his demo driver for OSX Sierra and they partially work but does not detect sound. It does detect that the device is plugged in, sound indicators on the unit itself are showing I am getting feedback from my mic so I don't believe it's a faulty unit.

I will keep this thread updated on my success, worst case scenario I bootcamp 32bit Windows 7.

16. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

It has a mic pre built in correct to power an SM7B, hence the name?

17. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

I took the easy way around the whole USB thing and just purchased a TASCAM portable digital audio recorder. No USB weirdness to deal with. ;) Line in, SD card recording--move the SD card to your favorite computer to edit and split the recording for digital playback. It's not quite the model I wanted (I really want a DA-3000 as it does DSD), but it does fine for quick needle drops to use on the portable or in the car. :)

ilusndweller likes this.
  18. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

Starting to think it's hardware, I got this responce.

"Yes, at least it’s working for a lot of people. Please ignore the “test app”, it’s not supposed to be there.

Also, please make sure you use CoreAudio on sandboxed applications".

I will try loading up in Windows 32 bit before I attempt taking it apart, and will report back on my success.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  19. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

Well there are your culprits! ... possibly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  20. Shakedown

Shakedown Active Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    ilusndweller likes this.