why use modded sony playstation as cd player

Hey Jimmy, I never ever said it was "uber expensive sounding"....

I just think for the coin, it's pretty good.

And whether or not you meant to throw some 'tude around, your words appeared to.
If I'm wrong, and perhaps I am, I apologize.

And I'm pretty sure JimmyNeutron has good gear, everyone. His input would be welcome for those who go too far with what is just a nice little cdp, and need to have some measure of perspective.

I go out of my way to avoid imbroglios, especially since inflection is nigh impossible online. I try to give, and expect, respect. It's why I have been on this site for 8 years. Good bunch of joes/joe-ettes.

djwhy60, is converting the 5501 to the 1001 a big deal? Any tips? I have both units.

Onward, it's hard to see what's behind the words on the internet. No tude was thrown, just my experience with these SONY's. But hey, no worries. It's just conversation. Let's keep it fun.

Jimmy

djwhy60, I've checked out that guy's page.......

Germans......ain't they something?

I'm a tinker-er at heart, and love an underdog. I also re-read this entire thread, and got a chuckle or two. Found two links to some Youtube vids you posted. Man, some people are just GIFTED when it comes to modding.

Doesn't anyone remember all the opinions (they SUCK....no, they RULE...no, they SUCK) about the Insignia bookshelf speakers??

I still have a pair, modded with the heavy putty and overbuilt crossovers. They aren't anything ultra-magical, but that sound, from such a small and cheap package, still floors my guests when I throw the watts to them.

Onward....The way I see and hear it...I like what I like. I am a Rat Shack fan for Petes sake! I am so looking forward to playing with the PS1s. I am going to put one in a wood cigar box I have. May try some of the mods that crazy German guy did just for giggles. I paid less than $5 for both of mine. Nothing lost if I screw something up. I can build an airplane from scratch but taking my first crack at messing with electronics.

I have played around with the PS1 and it sounds fine to me though I have never A/B-ed it with the Teac, NAD, Rega, Oppo or other players I have or used to have. I don't like overly bright "digital sound" so maybe the distortion or whatever it imparts works for me.

I used to have the 1001 but passed it on and still have a 5501. Tonight I picked up a 9001 because it was cheap. I think I will try to add the RCA jack output to it.

I found this thread at CAM that has a bit more info and a fairly well executed review. Coincidentally I have the closely related Technics SA-DA8 receiver to the SA-DA10 he uses. I don't use mine for music lately but it never disappoints in that regard.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6886

Montycat, I appreciate that link.

I read about a man with that kind of gear, and he says he may toss his Arcam?

Fascinating. Great read.

Interesting thing was, I was all prepared to HATE the ps1. Always an xbox guy myself, but first time I heard it, I was hooked.

djwhy60, putting a ps1 in a wooden cigar box would be hot.

I have an authentic russian ammo crate with that groovy russian alphabet on it that is just slightly larger than the ps1......hmmm:scratch2::scratch2::

** Update **

:smoke:

$9.99 from Gamestop...A Remote for my 5501

Start , stop , pause & next track all work

Attachments

• auto.jpg
    auto.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 450
My wife claims we have an original ps2 remote and ir, but I can't find it. My stepdaughter had it. Probably right under my nose. Argh.

I use a Sony PS2 remote with a plug in transmitter on the 1001 and both are smaller than the ones in Frank's picture. They cost under $10 on ebay. My modded 5501 has an internal remote.

That review is totally opposite to some of the negative opinions posted here.

For what it's worth - I hooked up my old Playstation (5501) to an amp I was testing in a pinch, as I didn't have a cd player on hand --- please note this was BEFORE i had ever heard anything about all the frenzy surrounding these units as cd players --- and I stood there gaping as it played. I kept saying "why does this sound so good? - what's the deal?" I listened to it that way for a month or so and just loved it. I thought I was crazy for thinking this silly videogame console could sound so good. I finally got curious and googled it. I was pleased to get tons of confirmation and to have experienced it all prior to hearing the all buzz about it.

My wife claims we have an original ps2 remote and ir, but I can't find it. My stepdaughter had it. Probably right under my nose. Argh.

If yours is anything like mine...it is probably right under their BED! Or in the damn closet under a pile of clothes.....

For what it's worth - I hooked up my old Playstation (5501) to an amp I was testing in a pinch, as I didn't have a cd player on hand --- please note this was BEFORE i had ever heard anything about all the frenzy surrounding these units as cd players --- and I stood there gaping as it played. I kept saying "why does this sound so good? - what's the deal?" I listened to it that way for a month or so and just loved it. I thought I was crazy for thinking this silly videogame console could sound so good. I finally got curious and googled it. I was pleased to get tons of confirmation and to have experienced it all prior to hearing the all buzz about it.

Thanks for the input. I guess you were using the a/v out?? If so, my experience is that those rca's were for crap, and I'm about to hardwire some new leads to mine. My 1001 currently is better sounding than the generally better built 5501, but that will probably change once I get these new rca's in there.

And my experience was identical....I couldn't believe what I was hearing..

Thanks for the input. I guess you were using the a/v out?? If so, my experience is that those rca's were for crap, and I'm about to hardwire some new leads to mine. My 1001 currently is better sounding than the generally better built 5501, but that will probably change once I get these new rca's in there.

And my experience was identical....I couldn't believe what I was hearing..

I have yet to hear a 1001 (I have the 5501) but may get one if I find a good deal just for the fun of comparison --- :D

YMMV

The 5501 with hardwired RCAs has better SQ than the stock 1001

I believe it has something to do with the opamps in the 1001

YMMV

The 5501 with hardwired RCAs has better SQ than the stock 1001

I believe it has something to do with the opamps in the 1001

So there ya go.

I gotta get off my patootie and hardwire some rca's into my 5501, because that A/V cable must suck......

Makes me happy, cause the 1001 don't sound too bad just bone stock out those rca's...to my ears, anyway.:no:

So there ya go.

I gotta get off my patootie and hardwire some rca's into my 5501, because that A/V cable must suck......

Makes me happy, cause the 1001 don't sound too bad just bone stock out those rca's...to my ears, anyway.:no:

We'll be expecting a step by step tutorial with pics!:D

I picked one up cheap and listened to it a couple of times.

First off the output volume on mine is really low compared to my Sony cd player. Not that's a bad thing.

Also using the basic remote you can't program the player....

Back
Top Bottom