Why's it called "Tape Monitor"

johnnm

Audio Enthusiast
I've seen on several receivers that the tape inputs are labeled as "Tape Monitor 1" and "Tape Monitor 2" (or however many that receiver supports). E.g. on my Pioneer SX-650 there are 2 switches labeled tape monitor 1 and 2, which makes the receiver go to the tape inputs, regardless of what the "Function" knob is pointing to (AM/FM/Phono/Aux). Why use the word "monitor" here? What's it implying?

The switch, when it's turned on, is used to listen to the tape deck that is playing back a tape. It also comes in handy when you have a 3-head deck recording. That way with the switch engaged, one can listen or monitor the tape as you are recording.

Because they allow you to monitor what ever is on that input at the level it's being input at.. Guess it was easier than labeling it "hear what this input sounds like"

The tape monitor switch allows you to listen to the tape on the three-head machine while it is recording. But the regular input selector allows you to decide which source you are going to record from. That is why the tape swich is not on the regular selector switch.

If you don't have a three-head tape deck, then you will never understand the value of this very useful feature. FWIW: this feature is absent from most modern receivers due to the fact that Tape is now an obsolete medium.

a head each for erase, record, playback... keeps your playback head from becoming magnetized is one plus..

What's special about 3-head tape decks?
You have separate record and play heads, whic allows you to listen to the actual tape that you have recorded while it is recording. A two-head machine only allows you to listen to the tape after the recording has finished.

Three heads also allows for the heads to be optimized for their application. A two head machine necessarily involves some compromize between recording and playback.

Last edited:
The tape monitor switch allows you to listen to the tape on the three-head machine while it is recording. But the regular input selector allows you to decide which source you are going to record from. That is why the tape swich is not on the regular selector switch.

If you don't have a three-head tape deck, then you will never understand the value of this very useful feature. FWIW: this feature is absent from most modern receivers due to the fact that Tape is now an obsolete medium.
You just nailed it... the input selector usually controls what goes to the REC OUT. If the tape input was on the same switch there would be no way to hear the signal coming from the recorder while the source is playing. A lot of Yammies and Macs were made with a separate REC OUT selector, which has the same choices as the input control. That feature gives the added benefit of recording one source while listening to any source you want.

Thank you all for responding. This was once a mystery to me - thanks for clearing that up!

A 2 head deck has a head that both records and reads the tape plus an erase head that erases any signal on a tape before it hits the record head. A 3 head deck has a separate record and a separate playback head.

While an advantage of 3 head deck is that you can listen to the tape as it is recorded (technically you are listening to the tape through the playback head just a fraction of a second after it was recorded on the recording head as the playback head is located just behind the record head -that's why there's a slight delay when you switch the cassette deck from "source" to "tape"), that is not the reason for discrete (separate) playback and record heads.

On all recording and playback heads (3 head deck) and record/playback heads (2 head deck) there is a gap between the two electrodes that "read" the tape and that "record" the tape. The gap is critical for both recording and for playback.

For optimal recording, the electrodes on a recording head need to be spaced closer together* than the electrodes on a playback head. And likewise, for optimal playback, the electrodes on a playback head need to be spaced farther apart* than the electrodes on a recording head.

Therefore, a "2 head" deck (which combines the record and playback functions in one head) is a compromise -not as wide* as it should be for optimal playback and not as close* for optimal recording.

Discrete record and playback heads solve this problem and improve performance of both recording and playback.

* I could have it wrong, playback might need to be closer together while record needs to be farther apart. I don't remember which at the moment.

Thanks for the clarification!! :D

my rule for remembering such things are the smaller the gap, the higher the frequency it can detect :)

same reason worn heads gives duller sound - if they are so worn the gap opens up, the head looses ability to "hear" the high notes

I created an account, 10 years after this thread was opened, just to thank you guys for your answers. There are also very clear.
Thanks to you, me too -like the OP- i finally understood some of the audio mysteries.

Basic stuff I guess, for those who know a lot about audio, but for some of us these are not easy and you help us a lot. Thanks for your generosity.

Adrien

I created an account, 10 years after this thread was opened, just to thank you guys for your answers. There are also very clear.
Thanks to you, me too -like the OP- i finally understood some of the audio mysteries.

Basic stuff I guess, for those who know a lot about audio, but for some of us these are not easy and you help us a lot. Thanks for your generosity.

Adrien
welcome to the group of tape users,i see you are new ,what gear are you using??

Back
Top Bottom