Widest soundstage thrown by a sansui ?

Going way back I'm always impressed with the old 3000a. I suspect this was designed to equal a top of the line tube amp and it probably comes real close. Could be some of the later G series receivers etc. are better, no experience there.

The Sansui Alpha models offer superb sound staging when coupled with a high quality source and great speakers.

I'm constantly amazed at the magic tricks played by my current combo - the soundstage depth and width is magnificent, but it's the space between the elements in the music that is perhaps the most impressive of all. I finally feel that my setup is capable of going toe-to-toe with some very expensive systems that I've had the pleasure of hearing.

The Alpha 907XR is a gem, the Gieseler Klein III DAC is genius, and I'm still absolutely smitten with my Elite Aesthet I Mk2 speakers. A superlative combo all round!

Pete i just googled your system . I wonder hows the low end on the 6.5 inchers. Pretty nice setup. Quite a hi end gear

Pete i just googled your system . I wonder hows the low end on the 6.5 inchers. Pretty nice setup. Quite a hi end gear

Thanks mate. There has been a lot of gradual tweaking, upgrading and adjustment of this system over the years. The woofers are in fact 7" (some of the ads on the internet are incorrect). The frequency response is quoted as 42Hz-20KHz, but in-room I get very tight and useable bass down to 30hz. They are the best speaker that I have owned, surpassing standmount and floorstanding speakers from many other fancied brands (Dynaudio, PMC, Focal JM Labs, Lenehan, ProAc).

Elite really got the design and construction of these speakers right!

NEW2.jpg

new4.jpg

Last edited:
O boy
4 suis.
If they all sounded close enough you wouldn't have kept em in the same room. ,so they must be different sounding ,dont they ?
I had the 907imos limited. Never quite loved it . It just didnt sound the way i wanted . But when i recently got aud707x ,the sound it delivers is just right for my setup .
Which amp is there in the lower most section. Is that an AU717???
Here we get the JDM versions commonly.
The 717 is rare but au607 does show up readily.i wonder how good is the 717s versus the alphas youve got on a scale of 0-100.
And if youve heard 707x ??;)

Last edited:
Until recently the overhauled/twealed AU-X711 was my main amp, but the 907DR and now the 907XR are the kings of the room.

The 711 hasn't been used for a while. The AU-X701 runs my outdoor speakers. The AU-719 is immaculate and fully overhauled too, but it doesn't get used these days - it is for looks only. Same goes for the other Sansuis in the room but out of shot.

To me, all of the alphas sound better than the 719, and likewise they are better than the BA/CA-F1 combo and also the AU-20000. The late model 907s are just fantastic.

I haven't heard a 707X as they don't come up for sale in Australia, and it's a lot of effort to import them. People tend to head straight to the Alphas instead.

I've heard the AU-D11 and AU-D11 II, and both are lovely amps. The D11 in particular is a great choice for someone wanting a bit of the clarity that the late model Alphas bring, but with a bit warmer sound and the old-school looks. I still prefer the Alphas though - they are more transparent and accurate to me.

It's very hard to rate amps on a scale - what is a big difference to one person will be tiny to another. The system also makes a difference to your perception - different systems do different jobs of highlighting the similarities and differences between amps. Whenever I go back to the older Sansuis I quickly realise what I am missing out on. They still sound lovely, but it's like looking at photo which is slightly out of focus vs a really crisp image (again, in my opinion and experience).

Most importantly of all... any comparison between amps MUST be done with exactly the same output level, otherwise you are not comparing apples with applies. Testing with, say, a 1khz tone and either a calibrated dB meter (preferred) or an app for a phone will help. Variations in volume levels will trick your ears. A fellow AKer pointed this out to me recently, and I agree 100%.

Like they say ....been there done that ....
I have been to the alphas . I wanted to love that gear . That 34kilos of metal. It did sound stunningly clean too.
It ironic that when alpha came to me i wasnt blown away and when the 9500 came in i fell in love with sansuis .and when 707x came , it just got the kingship.
And by the way i can always get the alpha 907 imos limited back for a demo ..sometimes it hurts me and i do ponder that i didnot connect the best sources with the alpha. The DaC the recordings etc

The most important thing to remember is... trust your own ears and preferences. If your setup in your room with your music sounds good to you... that’s all that matters. The opinions of others won’t make your setup sound any better. :)

Iv spoken to a friend he will be visiting places where your speakers are sold.
Let's see. If they click him we will surely consider buying.
After all , uv settled on them

Back
Top Bottom