Wife gets me a FISHER.

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
She was at the Thrift store while out shopping and saw a FISHER RS-2003. Made the guys there hook up a couple of speakers and run it thru it's paces. Apparently she was satisfied enough to spend $20. on it so it came home. She don't know any better but I'll not kick her out either. Pretty clean and no scratches on the face, or vinyl clad wood cabinet. The original owner scratched his License Numer on the side plate on the front. But I think I can get it off. Gotta be careful with the buffer. Not deep.

cleaned all the controls with D-5, flushed the dust off the tuning cap with CRC QD, let sit for 20 minutes and fired it up. WHOA!!! It sounds as good as my 500TX on Headphones. And with the STK-0040 packs that's saying a bunch. Haven't put it on speakers yet. DC offset is +45mv both sides. No adjustments that I can see. 1 bulb burnt out on the dial. Ran it for about 1/2 hour and the Heatsink on the back got slightly warm.

I'll probably keep it and rotate it in the bedroom system.

I think it's time to sit her down and make a power point presentation about whats desirable as far as FISHER Components are concerned. :D

Larry

Last edited:
I think it's time to sit her down and make a power point presentation about whats desirable as far as FISHER Components are concerned.

Larry

Oh, man, are you SURE you want to go there? :nono: IMHO, nothing good can come of it. :no: I'd smile, say 'thank you, dear', and hope for better things next time. :D

Man, this is truly when the expression "its the thought that counts" really shows its worth. She not only was thinking of you but had the foresight to have them hook it up and play it for her.

Thank her sincerely and mean it. Her thoughtfulness towards you means more then if she found a mint 400, 500 or 800 for the same price.

Trust me on this one.

Shelly_D

Two amazing things about this post:
1. Your wife got store staff to help her audition the amp in store. In my world, you're lucky to even find someone to help you carry stuff to the register.

2. She thought enough about you and your hobby to buy something she thought you might like. Even if my wife knew what to look for, she'd never bring home "more stereo junk".

Count your blessings, and do something nice for her in return. ;)

P.S. -- Looks like you got an awesome deal! http://www.almasstereo.com/equipment/fisher-receiver/rs-2003/69 (no affiliation).

Last edited:
Oh, man, are you SURE you want to go there? :nono: IMHO, nothing good can come of it. :no: I'd smile, say 'thank you, dear', and hope for better things next time. :D

I agree 100%.

Just shut up and let her feel good about her doing something for you. She obviously got a lot of pleasure from making guys hook up speakers so she could test it out.

If you try to educate her, especially now, you'll suck all the joy out of the experience for her.

$20 is nothing.

If mine did some thing like that..Well lets just say Id treat it like she bought mcintosh.
And shed never know the diffrance.

You've got a keeper, Larry (the wife, if not the Fisher).

Don't forget this is the same woman who puts up with you bringing consoles in the house & rehabbing big-ass speakers in the driveway...

She got karma points on this one!

I'm using the RS-1035 as a headphone amp with the Grado RS-1i. Very good combination.

You got yourself a good receiver.

She was at the Thrift store while out shopping and saw a FISHER RS-2003. Made the guys there hook up a couple of speakers and run it thru it's paces. Apparently she was satisfied enough to spend $20. on it so it came home...Larry

That's a great story. :thmbsp:
...I think it's time to sit her down and make a power point presentation about whats desirable as far as FISHER Components are concerned.

Larry
Space, the final frontier. You might want to first have her give you a presentation or two about things that she likes...just saying. :scratch2:

I agree with the other posts. Her heart was in the right place, and I am sure she felt proud of her/your acquisition.

Now get out there and return the favor...Next time you are in the SA or GW take a peek at the handbags and shoes...you know her size. :D

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Way ahead of the curve (Just had 28th anniv).

I should have put a :D up at the end. She does put up with a lot, like Rob said. Just now finished up the FUTURA VI Cabinet OVERHAUL. About the only stereo gear she actually likes in the house and doesn't complain about is the Custom Electra VIII in the Dining Room.......It's Hers'!!! God forbid anyone but her touches it. I have to ask before rolling tubes in it. She doesn't really care what it sounds like (tin ear), as long as it works when she hits the switch. All the other gear in the house she avoids like the plague. She puts up with my "hobby" as it's comparatively cheaper than vintage cars, keeps me out of bars and away from "soiled doves"(damn!), off the street, and she gets to listen to the results when she wants (her Electra). She'll even go so far as to go in the bedroom to watch tv so I can listen to "your music". The Electra is next to go under the knife( couple of tube sockets are loose, and want to upgrade the xover's caps).

I've made a reservation at a local Japanese Restaurant she likes for Sunday Afternoon. She doesn't know about it either. And I gave her $50. to get something she wants, for shits and giggles. She's retired now, so she's underfoot all the time. So i put her to work cleaning parts. She did pretty good with the knobs and the front plate.

I guess I'll keep her...

OH YEAH! PICS!!!!

Looks like someone cheaped out on the Main Filter CAP(s). A Double 4700uf/50v. How the hell do you wire that up for TWO CAPS when/IF I get to that point after recapping the Power supply/tone board/main amp? CORRECT ME IF My Ramblings are FULL OF CRAP. Looks to me that the center of the three terminals is a chassis ground, which would be + on one of the caps and - on the other correct? And the leads on the other terminals would be the corresponding - and + on each cap correct? So would I connect Cap 1's + to All the BLUE's, Cap 1 - to the green. Cap 2 + to Green and Cap 2 - to Reds. Or Vice Versa depending on which side is + Rail and which is - Rail.

Larry

Last edited:
--snip-- So would I connect Cap 1's + to All the BLUE's, Cap 1 - to the green. Cap 2 + to Green and Cap 2 - to Reds. Or Vice Versa depending on which side is + Rail and which is - Rail.

Larry

That sounds right, Larry. Go ahead an check it with a voltmeter but you've probably got +35v on one side of green and -35v on the other side. Based on your description sounds like the blues are (+) and the reds are (-).

Those are 50w Darlingtons so you should get a little 'kick' out of her!

Back
Top Bottom