Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Homer4beer, Nov 10, 2017.

1. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Went through the same thing with my Ex Wife. She hated the big speakers I bought and put in the living room without telling her. I do and did see her point, but she never understood or appreciated my love of audio equipment at all and in a way she brought it on herself by not letting me put in the 5.1 speakers in the living room that she actually bought me.

My new girlfriend understands that the speakers and the stereo are not negotiable. I've learnt that... Buy your stereo equipment before you move in and if you do... Buy it BIG. That way if you downsize she'll be appreciative. My new girlfriend asked if she could replace my current KEF R900 with something smaller. I said sure... and showed her a pair of KEF Reference 1. They're only bookshelves but the price seems to have silenced her for now.

Also a bigger TV does wonders in shrinking speakers.

stish and Bill Ferris like this.
  2. Katalyst

Katalyst Active Member

Tits ,tires or microchips there will be issues.

3. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm still cracking up over this one liner, but my wife is pissed at me for repeating it, ROTFL! :rflmao:

I hear you my brother, couldn't have expressed it better myself!

4. restorer-john

restorer-john Super Member

I'm still laughing over that one too, but based on your experience, I won't recount it to my girl...

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. Homer4beer

Homer4beer AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's a brave man to tell those jokes in the presence of women.

nexus, avguytx and Bill Ferris like this.
  6. g..v

g..v Addicted Member

Oh yeah? What bleeds for a week without dying, can make milk without eating grass, and can bury a 6" bone without getting her nose dirty? You already got your answer.:naughty:

Bill Ferris likes this.
  7. Todd Dodds

Todd Dodds AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe I missed it, but has your opinion of the sound changed?
    Has your bride read this thread? That seems like it might be a productive conversation starter.

We've seen lots of pics of the speakers, none of the wife. You may have to do a simple A/B comparo, and decide which looks better in your room...and sounds better?

Homer4beer, stish, avguytx and 2 others like this.
  8. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

Well put 4-2-7, IMHO. :thumbsup:+ :beerchug:
    Grills in place might have had a less of a shock factor for her first impression..

I doin`t get the popularity of leaving the grills off speakers, after all, they are for listening to music and hopefully when set up correctly should disappear sonically when quality music is played through them..

I`m single and never been married, so there is no WAF/GFF in any of my house`s 6 room setups, but I find those hyper stack of white paper cones glaringly gaudy looking and draw needless visual attention to them..

Is leaving speaker grill`s off some kind of visual techno bragging rights that is lost on me ? o_O

Properly designed(hopefully !) speaker grill`s should have a very minimal impact, and then only at the highest frequency`s.

But that`s just my opinion, and it`s value, or not, is subject to question, I`m sure !! :dunno:

Carry on folks.
    Regards, OKB

9. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio MUSIC MEATHEAD Subscriber

those speakers are awesome! With my girlfriend, the tower style with all the drivers seemed to be what hits some women and takes the breath away. I had to change some, and have great luck now with high end bookshelves , they don't know if they cost $100, or $7500. also a small high end sub, just dont call it a sub, call it something nicer like, ummmm that's my energy saver , its very smart, :)we can hide it behind the couch or anywhere.

Homer4beer and stish like this.
  10. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio MUSIC MEATHEAD Subscriber

kef r900s:bowdown: , even my small r300s are incredible, the reference 1 would be my choice also if i had the budget..

matteos likes this.
  11. matteos

matteos Stereotype

The R300s are awesome! I have a set too, but with speakers bigger is better when it comes to dynamics IMO.

freQ(*)Oddio likes this.
  12. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

I'm guessing this is what your wife sees in her mind when trying to relax in her living room:

[​IMG]

The solution is simple Lord Homer. She must be persuaded to join you on the dark side:

[​IMG]

May the force be with you!

13. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Bill, Bill, Bill . . . Do I really have to explain this to a man? With the grills on, we cannot watch the woofers move.

The advent of digital technology has already robbed us of the fun of watching reels rotate and records turn - not to mention the dearth of VU meters - so what are we supposed to occupy our eyes with while listening to music?

Unless there's a really pretty wife involved . . . .

GeeDeeEmm

14. Bill Ferris

15. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of the KEF Blade II speakers a couple of years ago. All I could say was "wow." Of course the price point they were at garnered pretty much the opposite response from me. :D

matteos likes this.
  16. Apolek

Apolek AK Subscriber Subscriber

My wife lives in a traveling nest of pillows and cushions... even takes one in the car if we go out. Some things are best left a mystery.

Bratwurst7s likes this.
  17. Bill Ferris

Well Sir, I guess with the outside visual distraction of a pretty wife/GF, after pursuing this sonic pursuit for over 44 years, I apparently fell out of the "visual aspects" of "listening to sound", all I can say is :I guess I march to a different drummer..

As my father observed & conveyed to me at the young age of 13~15 years old, as I recall..

Fixing audio gear and mixing live sound for a living for decades might have something to do with my indifferent attitude, but this old man still likes to look at a pretty Ladies, but doesn`t, and won`t allow her to tell him what speakers, or how big they can be, and where he can put them in "his house"!!
    I have a modicum of taste, at least my friends wives have told me so, if in fact truthful..

Probably, in my case, why I`ve never been married after very soon to be 63 years of existing on this planet..

To each his, or her own, but nobody tells me what I`m going to do with any of my sound systems in "my house"..

Living alone doesn`t mean that I`m lonely !!

Enjoy your situations as you deem fit, or tolerably acceptable..

Kind regards, OKB

18. turnitdown

turnitdown Not well known Subscriber

I'm originally from that area. Here's a little somethin' for ya...my daughter from 7 (ugh) years ago

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 6:51 PM
  19. SpicySammich

SpicySammich Active Member

The wife gets home, walks through the door. First thing out of her mouth is " I can't believe those. They look absolutely shit. God I just hate living in this house now (referring to hifi gear). She's bloody unimpressed and angry.
    [/QUOTE]
    Not a keeper. Speakers will treat you better in the long run.

matteos and darkblue94 like this.
  20. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

No, you just have to be patient and train her to tolerate it, like the pooch in your avatar.
    Oops! did I say "train"? I meant "understand"...