Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

Find the prettiest speakers you can that are $20,000+. Then say 'honey, what about these?'. After she says she loves them and how great they would look tell her what they cost.

I went with Opera Loudpeakers (Quintas), an Italian manufacturer. Actually I am more pleased with the Operas than I was with the B&Ws.
A friend sold Opera and another owns 803s - Agree, it's close but probably the Operas. They boogie a little more than the B&Ws. Opera is very underrated.

When in doubt never setup a new speaker naked! Many of woman find bare speaker drivers hideous. Always have them covered and once said woman adjusts to new speaker you can reveal the drivers. If she is angered or repulsed, quickly re-install the grills ensuring her all is well. Try again at a later date. Enjoy without grills when she is away!

I "own" the living room. My wife "owns" the family room. She has the 60" TV and she is not interested in even entering my space. She only gets mad if I need to open up an amp on the kitchen table to fiddle with something. I do have a habit of spreading out.

Grills on and new amp installed.

jiExGr.jpg

Now I'm an admitted audiophool, but I have to say, I couldn't live with the stand and screen off-set (not centered) within the rear wall windows, it would drive me bonkers.

funny, that.

Thoughts....if less than ideal furniture can be tolerated while renting, so can speakers that don't fit living room decor.

Now I'm an admitted audiophool, but I have to say, I couldn't live with the stand and screen off-set (not centered) within the rear wall windows, it would drive me bonkers.
funny, that.
Funny that I'm the same way. I could be in the most cluttered room but if my view is asymmetric it would drive me bonkers too.

I even seem to have problem with stereo tube amps that have the power transformer to one side and the two output transformers on the other.:dunno:
OK back to...what was the topic...?...oh yeah ...wife hates etc. ...carry on:beatnik:

funny, that.

Life is full of compromises. The TV isn't central with the stand due needing space for the turntable. The turntable is on the cabinet sideways, the cabinet isn't central to the windows as then there wouldn't be anywhere to put a right speaker. The couch isn't central in the room. Etc etc.

Does my head in but I'd rather deal with what I have than not have an audio setup :)

Me and the wife just moved into our new to us house. Huge compared to our last house. I now have my long awaited mancave! :banana:She has her larger kitchen, bedroom and living room so she is very happy! She doesn't give a rats *ss what I do in my new space. Actually she has always been supportive when it came to my audio hobby. I Love You Baby!!!!:hug:

Me and the wife just moved into our new to us house. Huge compared to our last house. I now have my long awaited mancave! :banana:She has her larger kitchen, bedroom and living room so she is very happy! She doesn't give a rats *ss what I do in my new space. Actually she has always been supportive when it came to my audio hobby. I Love You Baby!!!!:hug:

:thumbsup:

So I walk into the Goodwill this past Saturday and ... a pair of Mangnepan speakers, huge I think to myself, $200 I see the price, I remember this thread and I think no this would push it too far. My wife is great and supports me in my hobby, but I'm not going to spend money I don't have for speakers that would be a real challenge to get to fit in. Oh and it was obvious that they would need substantial work to get back in top shape.

Mark Gosdin

When in doubt never setup a new speaker naked! Many of woman find bare speaker drivers hideous. Always have them covered and once said woman adjusts to new speaker you can reveal the drivers. If she is angered or repulsed, quickly re-install the grills ensuring her all is well. Try again at a later date. Enjoy without grills when she is away!

True that. Trying to 'splain the bare-nekked looks of Dyanaco A25s, ARs, KLHs, OLAs - oh yeah...
Once they glommed on to the looks of those cute little Bose cubes, hard to get that genie back in the bottle.

funny, that.

I wouldn't have bought my house if I couldn't get a symmectrical room for my HT center. I wouldn't even look at houses that did provide this.

My two front ambience speakers are exactly the same distance to the center of the couch, as are the two rear surrounds, and the L/C/R with the screen sitting centered in the room.

In fact, the wife didn't want me to put the center channel on the bricks, but I told her that was the only way we were buying this house.

Stereo_010.JPG

So I walk into the Goodwill this past Saturday and ... a pair of Mangnepan speakers, huge I think to myself, $200 I see the price, I remember this thread and I think no this would push it too far. My wife is great and supports me in my hobby, but I'm not going to spend money I don't have for speakers that would be a real challenge to get to fit in. Oh and it was obvious that they would need substantial work to get back in top shape.

Mark Gosdin
That's why I sold my KLH Twelves after they sat in my basement workshop for two years, beautifully restored but nowhere to go upstairs.

I wouldn't have bought my house if I couldn't get a symmectrical room for my HT center. I wouldn't even look at houses that did provide this.

My two front ambience speakers are exactly the same distance to the center of the couch, as are the two rear surrounds, and the L/C/R with the screen sitting centered in the room.

In fact, the wife didn't want me to put the center channel on the bricks, but I told her that was the only way we were buying this house.

Stereo_010.JPG
Stuff, junk, nick-nacks etc. set on top of speakers............tisk tisk.

That would not go over well in my house.

Rule number one: Speakers are not under any event to be used as table tops.

Stuff, junk, nick-nacks etc. set on top of speakers............tisk tisk.

That would not go over well in my house.

Rule number one: Speakers are not under any event to be used as table tops.

Yep. I found a glass of beer on one of my DIY speakers. "Should I get a coaster??" they say, seeing that I noticed. "No, you should not put a glass on someones speakers" I replied.

Back
Top Bottom