Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

I wouldn't have bought my house if I couldn't get a symmectrical room for my HT center. I wouldn't even look at houses that did provide this.

My two front ambience speakers are exactly the same distance to the center of the couch, as are the two rear surrounds, and the L/C/R with the screen sitting centered in the room.

In fact, the wife didn't want me to put the center channel on the bricks, but I told her that was the only way we were buying this house.

Stereo_010.JPG

I love that the subwoofer is your smallest speaker.

I love that the subwoofer is your smallest speaker.

It's a Sunfire Signiture with a 10" subwoofer and a 10" passive radiator. I removed the amp from the cabinet and made it a cabinet of its own and put a block-off plate on the enclosure after the second time I had it repaired. No problems since then. These literally shake themselves to death unless you take such measures.

Easily keeps up with (and way out-does for really deep bass) the three 2235s in the L/C/R, the W15GTi subwoofer, powered by a Crown PSA-2XH (~800 watts RMS bridged into the 12 ohm load), also located in the center channel speaker, and four 10" W10GTi's in the four surrounds.

They truly are remarkable! :rockon:

Last edited:
To be honest though (gonna get roasted for this). I kind of agree with her...

No, it's not just you. Looking at the room makes me feel uncomfortable. Almost claustrophobic.

I totally get jumping on a great deal and keeping the speakers in anticipation of the new home. But I never would have purchased them, because I don't find them remotely attractive, and I refuse to buy things that I don't like the look of. Even if I did like them, I probably would have set them up once to make sure they work, then boxed them until the move.

WAF - "Wife Approval Factor" based on aesthetics rather than SQ. I have Bose Accoustimas in my living room because of WAF....

Personally I like the way the drivers match the round "handles" on the white cabinets in the OP's room. But then, I'm looking at admiring the equipment.

No, it's not just you. Looking at the room makes me feel uncomfortable. Almost claustrophobic.

I totally get jumping on a great deal and keeping the speakers in anticipation of the new home. But I never would have purchased them, because I don't find them remotely attractive, and I refuse to buy things that I don't like the look of

Sensitive guy............ " Looking at the room makes me feel uncomfortable" WTF????

Why do looks matter?

Why does something like this need to be attractive?

Sensitive guy............ " Looking at the room makes me feel uncomfortable" WTF????

Why do looks matter?

Simply accept that for many people looks matter; they certainly do to me. People no more need to explain why they prefer attractive to unattractive things than you need to explain why you don't. It's a matter of taste.

Simply accept that for many people looks matter; they certainly do to me. People no more need to explain why they prefer attractive to unattractive things than you need to explain why you don't. It's a matter of taste.
But if you see a pic of someones room and say that looking at it makes you feel "uncomfortable" then thats a bit odd.

If you look at someones speakers and describe them as "attractive" or "unattractive".......that is a bit odd too.

What does it mean to be attractive? Well, the dictionary says.......pleasing, alluring, irresistible, inviting, tempting. Who looks at speakers and thinks these things? A total wierdo. This goes beyond matters of taste.

What does it mean to be attractive? Well, the dictionary says.......pleasing, alluring, irresistible, inviting, tempting. Who looks at speakers and thinks these things? A total wierdo. This goes beyond matters of taste.

Beyond matters of taste? Elaborate.

Attractive--arousing interest or pleasure. I like attractive speakers and I'm not a total weirdo. I also like attractive furniture, clothing, cars etc. I think it's kind of odd to not consider how speakers look, especially if used in a "public" area of the home. Oh, when I was a loutish young man I didn't care so much but I have since maturing. And perhaps I took a perverse pleasure in finding attraction in that which was conventionally unattractive. Perhaps you do too. But even with utility cabinets such as Altec 825s I preferred a nice finish on them, though that was not always the case. And such cabinets were not used in the front room but in the basement, a garage or a specialized room.

Christ, I'd hate to have busted my ass much of my life and reached the age of 68 only to have to routinely look upon ugliness in my front room. It's not as though only ugly speakers are available.

Beyond matters of taste? Elaborate.

Attractive--arousing interest or pleasure. I like attractive speakers and I'm not a total weirdo. I also like attractive furniture, clothing, cars etc. I think it's kind of odd to not consider how speakers look, especially if used in a "public" area of the home. Oh, when I was a loutish young man I didn't care so much but I have since maturing. And perhaps I took a perverse pleasure in finding attraction in that which was conventionally unattractive. Perhaps you do too. But even with utility cabinets such as Altec 825s I preferred a nice finish on them, though that was not always the case. And such cabinets were not used in the front room but in the basement, a garage or a specialized room.

Christ, I'd hate to have busted my ass much of my life and reached the age of 68 only to have to routinely look upon ugliness in my front room. It's not as though only ugly speakers are available.

Wow, you get "aroused with pleasure" (your words) when looking at speakers? You are indeed a wierdo, like it or not.

Some of my speakers look good in my opinion. My JBL 4311b speakers look good. But they sure as heck don't arouse pleasure when I look at them. Geez......

Wow, you get "aroused with pleasure" (your words) when looking at speakers? You are indeed a wierdo, like it or not.

You are so obtuse as to not know the difference between "arousing interest or pleasure" and aroused with pleasure? Or are you just jagging me? In either case it was a mistake to attempt to reason with you, to treat you as a person to be taken seriously. You will go on ignore with others too trivial or foolish to be bothered with. Consider this a Parthian shot.

Last edited:
Some of the above comments, by no name mentioned, remind me of the phrase that many need to go by...

"It's better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth (type a comment) and remove all doubt ".

@Tom Brennan Parts of current society just don't understand various terms, Tom, so they speak from other crevices.

Last edited:

Why do looks matter?

You either get it, or you don’t. No amount of explanation is going to change that.

You either get it, or you don’t. No amount of explanation is going to change that.
"Looking at the room makes me feel uncomfortable"

"I find the speakers attractive / unattractive"

Oddball stuff to me. The last thing I feel is attraction for speakers. They are a hobby and it ends there.

If someone comes to my house and tells me how comforable my room makes him and how attractive my things are, that guy ain't coming over again.

I guess that makes me obtuse.....

Some of my speakers look good in my opinion. My JBL 4311b speakers look good. But they sure as heck don't arouse pleasure when I look at them. Geez......

They make a pill for that. ;-)

I'm tempted to caress my Cornwalls every time I walk by. I refinished them myself so maybe that's a bit of pride as well.

The wife wants to know, did your wife know about the speakers before the purchase? Was she a part of the purchase?

I have always made the wife a part of any transaction. Equal partner in so much as is allowed. Just like picking up the Thiel's she was there and agreed with getting them from the get. I just don't let her negotiate. Only because I'm the one doing the selling later.

Barney

Good point, my other half went with me to get the big D9's. She was happy they were woodgrain. The size did not phase her because I had Polk SDA SRS's previously which she absolutely DETESTED

Been going over the different posts on your situation, albeit what it is so what about this?

Have you considered sharing with her this thread. I think if you were to, she would both understand and appreciate the degree importance you have put into trying to find a solution to the speaker impasse. Myself and others have offered all kinds of POV's in the hope that one or more might offer an out for both of you in order to come to an accord.

Perhaps she will be able to see your wanting to see her side and she yours.

Not sure if this procedure has ever been done on this site...this might be the first.

Q

Been going over the different posts on your situation, albeit what it is so what about this?

Have you considered sharing with her this thread. I think if you were to, she would both understand and appreciate the degree importance you have put into trying to find a solution to the speaker impasse. Myself and others have offered all kinds of POV's in the hope that one or more might offer an out for both of you in order to come to an accord.

Perhaps she will be able to see your wanting to see her side and she yours.

Not sure if this procedure has ever been done on this site...this might be the first.

Q

The pig's rule for these kinds of situations.

Deny Deny Deny. Never write anything down. Never send an email or leave a voice mail. Erase all texts. Perfect that lost looking facial expression.

Regards
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom