Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

Find a better dictionary, friend. We don't all use English in a manner that dictionary might approve.
Its often used in conversation where the meanings are more relaxed - and understood by consensus.

Some speakers can be ugly and in your face - sometimes you can ignore what they look like and just listen,
but sometimes bad looks just means you want them GONE, far far away ...
The original picture with large piano-black speakers, with with no grills, with shiny chrome rings around the drivers, beside
a pure white console/cabinet with shiny chrome rings was a machine lover's dream - very technical looking, and a study in extremes ...

But it sounds like with the addition of grills and other measures, the initial resistance has faded ...

But if you see a pic of someones room and say that looking at it makes you feel "uncomfortable" then thats a bit odd.

If you look at someones speakers and describe them as "attractive" or "unattractive".......that is a bit odd too.

What does it mean to be attractive? Well, the dictionary says.......pleasing, alluring, irresistible, inviting, tempting. Who looks at speakers and thinks these things? A total wierdo. This goes beyond matters of taste.

"Looking at the room makes me feel uncomfortable"

"I find the speakers attractive / unattractive"

Oddball stuff to me. The last thing I feel is attraction for speakers. They are a hobby and it ends there.

If someone comes to my house and tells me how comforable my room makes him and how attractive my things are, that guy ain't coming over again.

I guess that makes me obtuse.....

My goodness. This is the last reaction I expected my post to elicit.

z-adamson, here's the picture in question:

https://vgy.me/9wJlm4.jpg

I could be off, but I'm pretty sure that's a 5x7 rug there, which means that the area is relatively small. On the one side you have 4 large blocks -- two speakers, the AV stand, and the television. There is no space between any of those objects, so visually they blend together and become one large block. So you sit down on the couch, you are staring at a large, mostly dark-colored block. And it's about 6-7' away from your face. On top of this, there doesn't appear to be any negative space in the room. There's a coffee table in the middle of the room, a plant in the corner... overall the space is visually cluttered.

I prefer to be in spaces that aren't visually cluttered. It's not that I couldn't come visit, sit, and listen, but given the choice between that space and one that feels more open, I will gravitate to the one that is more open.

I will also add that I am 6'5" tall and weigh just over 280 lbs. I myself am a large mass, and therefore tend to avoid spaces that feel small. That picture makes that space feel small. Put me on that couch in that space with two other people, and I would begin to feel very claustrophobic very quickly. Chances are I would try to find a chair where I could sit off to the side and feel more comfortable.

Now, as for the issue of being "attracted" to stereo equipment... yes, you're being deliberately obtuse. If I find a speaker to be "attractive," it means that I find it's shape and/or styling to be visually pleasing. There is nothing "arousing" about it. It's no different than saying "Wow, that's a good looking car" or "Wow, that building's architecture is really cool." To some people, the car you think is good looking is just seen as a means of transportation. Who cares what it looks like? And to others, the building is just functional; the visual appeal doesn't matter. But some of us care about aesthetics and design. We discuss and critique it, and while my critiques in particular might be amateur compared to trained designers, I still love the resulting discussion.

Back to audio. I tend to like speakers that have a wood veneer, as opposed to a high-gloss black finish. I like things that feel "organic," as opposed to mechanical. And, as hjames noted above, the look of the speaker is a machine-lover's dream. There's nothing wrong with liking, or even preferring, that look. But it's not for me.

Now, of course, I didn't say this to attack the OP. I said it to agree with another poster -- not all of us found the speakers to be attractive. I especially don't care for them in the limited space allowed for the listening area. A pair of small bookshelf speakers would be much less visually imposing. Even more so if they were white.

Maybe the style fits his and his wife's aesthetic. That's not my place to judge. But yes, if I were invited over to somebody's house and asked for my honest opinion about their speakers/system/room, I would give it. Tactfully, and with respect, but I would give it. And I would be invited over again, because I'm friends with the kind of people that can handle a differing opinion without it bruising their ego.

And lastly, the OP did indicate that the living arrangements are temporary. People tend to be more tolerant of crowded spaces when they're temporary, so maybe the whole thing is just fine. But I do understand why the wife didn't initially like the speakers.

No offence taken by me Racca. It certainly is NOT my dream space.

I prefer to be in spaces that aren't visually cluttered.

Well I'm not particularly fond of cluttered spaces either (my wife absolutely hates them) and if this wasn't a rental home, well lets just say it wouldn't be my own personal home. Too small, awkward spaces everywhere . So I just close my eyes while enjoying music....guess what.....cluttered spaces magically disappear replaced by an incredibly enveloping detailed sound and absolute bliss :music:

Don't have time to read whole thread, as my own wife is clamoring for me to join her on the couch, but I wish you good luck Homer4beer. Beautiful speakers, too!

Homer,
Good to know that the wife has eased up on the speakers however in looking at the pictures of your set up, I cringe seeing your turntable located so close to your speakers. Your speakers must put out some serious bass which probably creates some serious feedback to the turntable.

Man half a Page back there was talk of sharing this thread with......a wife.

I don’t recall who suggested that but I’m wondering if he still lives with his mom or has been divorced 7 times? No offense, but I would be facing weeks of silent treatment before the big fight. And like an elephant I would hear about it in every topic we discuss for at least 6 months before it went just annual.

As tempting as the silent treatment might be.... count your costs. I used to have zero respect for dudes with no back bone, now it’s down to the understanding that he’s probably not afraid of the fight... he just doesn’t want to work that hard.

ok.. I have to chime in here...married 28 years here ...3 boys and a girl .. ive had music equipment in the living room off and on for years...only recently unloading all to basement crawl space...but every once in a while I need a big room to jam out to and I set it all back up for a month..then back down to the basement for awhile until the next time..not to mention I have built in speakers in all walls and ceiling from when I remodeled the house.... what iam getting at...if your just married..start right fair is fair..you have a right to your enjoyment as much as her..try asking her what she wants to hear..that worked a lot for me....crank it up when shes not home...and if she cant flex a little...kick her the hell out...lol...peace and love..forgiveness

Skipped some of this thread but read the last couple pages. The only comment I have about the 'aroused with pleasure' discussion is this: It's perfectly fine for someone to feel absolutely nothing emotional about their gear in terms of attractive, unattractive, etc. It's also perfectly fine for those who do. The only problem I see is when one insists that the other is somehow unacceptable or shouldn't have a reason to see it that way. Live and let live. You will find that the world is full of a great variety of different kinds of people, and while some of them may seem weird to you, letting them be (and, perhaps, even having an open mind and learning from them) will greatly smooth your journey through this world. This is the very definition of AK's motto.

Nah all good now. I've managed to deflect enough that when guests come around she brings it up as a friendly dig but that is as far as it goes now. It probably helps that a few of her friends have actually liked them :)

In a long-term marriage, those stories are like gold.

Remind her in a couple of years about the speakers, and how they helped her by providing a fine story to tell at parties. With that story, she can garner sympathy from her friends for her suffering and come across as the forgiving soul who endured those damn speakers. Then tell her "you're welcome" for the gift you've given her.

If she's still smiling when she takes a swing at you, it's all good. That's the way my marriage operates, anyway!
Pro tip: be sure to wait a couple of years before trying this.

I'm a pro at this stuff. My wife is OCD, a perfectionist and obsessive about a "perfect home" due to fear of being judged. (nobody cares). She's also very intelligent and each decision must be justified appropriately.

Any change or purchase must be carefully planned and executed. I've been protective of the man cave in progress but it's a battle.

No visitors allowed unless the house passes her inspection. It can take days to get ready for company.

It hasn't been a huge issue the last 10 years since we've been so busy working and raising our kid. She's also a workaholic Realtor that works 7 days a week. Now that our son is 17 he is doing his thing so we have more time to have people over.

Don't get me wrong she is a great person. It just gets exhausting at times. Sometimes I reach a breaking point and just tell her directly what I will be doing it regardless if it's something I really want and it's reasonable. She usually concedes. I guess she realizes when I do that she went too far in her obsession.

Thanks KF.

My better half has been very good about it all now. No mention of it unless friends are around then the "look at the SIZE of these speakers that Homer has brought into the house. Weigh more than I do!"

Laps up the comments of my mates saying "I'd be so in the dog house if I was to do the same. Man u are lucky to have her allow those! What a wife you have!"

Hehe......but she is a keeper that's for sure. Gets a little cranky but accepts it in the end. :angel:

Got to love her for that! :hug:

This thread still amuses me as my wife was all gung-ho on me getting the Klipsch Belle clones I built in the house that I spent 3+ months building....on weekends. ;) They aren't all the way done yet...just need the clear finish put on them. She even helped me carry the 100+ lb bass bins inside. Not to mention she's a red head.

Back
Top Bottom