Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

Which is why - despite ridicule - Bose Lifestyle systems have a purpose in life.
Unless you care what it sounds like ;)
Really, no place in this particular discussion for Amar Bose Lifestyle crap -
if the OP wanted Bose he wouldn't have bought this shiny towers.

Some folks buy complex remotes and program the system so its easy for the spouse to use.
I had a biamped pair of studio monitors rigged with multiple power amps, all tied to 2 Adcom AE-515 power control units
to power everything up and down in safe sequence, and all of that was slaved off a basic AVR with remote control,
to make it simple for my wife. You put effort into a good system design so you get a great return from your family.
And everybody gets to enjoy it!

Last edited:
Equipment aside, does your wife share your passion for music? If she doesn't, that could be an issue in the long run. Although my GF of almost 19 years doesn't necessarily have a passion for the gear, but she does have passion for music. She leaves it to me to put the music system together. Typically, I consult with her on my interest in a piece of gear. I don't need her approval, but I would not make a purchase if she was not in favor of it. It's all about compromise.

Good luck. I hope you can resolve this. (I mean this sincerely.)

-Dave

Equipment aside, does your wife share your passion for music? If she doesn't, that could be an issue in the long run. Although my GF of almost 19 years doesn't necessarily have a passion for the gear, but she does have passion for music. She leaves it to me to put the music system together. Typically, I consult with her on my interest in a piece of gear. I don't need her approval, but I would not make a purchase if she was not in favor of it. It's all about compromise.

Good luck. I hope you can resolve this. (I mean this sincerely.)

-Dave

Thanks Dave. She isn't anywhere as passionate as I am (I buy dozens of albums a year, she MAY buy one) but she does enjoy music.

She isn't one to really listen to it other then in the car though. Rarely at home. We've been together 9 years so it's not like we will part ways over this :)

She's still stewing today but mellowing a little. We are moving the big couch out of the house and back into storage today and replacing it with a smaller black leather one which should fit in better.

Touch wood it will all work out ok. I've set up the new Magnat RV 3 amp now and am chilling out listening to Pearl Jam - Ten (Vinyl) and lapping up all the detail I've not heard before.

If the speakers were white with grills on they wouldn't stick out so much.
If the cabinet was black and the speakers had grills they wouldn't stick out so much.
Right now you have black, white, woodgrain etc. all in one small space which makes it look like a total clusterfuuuuuuuudge.
Notice they looked better in your first pic?
...the windows behind certainly don't help the overall picture either.

Last edited:
A good choice for all relationships is the keyword "compromise". Barter in your case may be useful. Serious barter, not the I'll buy you some shoes kind of barter.

I am lucky in that when we moved to the new house, I installed a stack in the living room with DCM TimeFrames 600 on top of Klipsch Quartets. My wife never said a word. That was 8 years ago and they are still there.

Good luck with your dilemma.

As I sit listening to a new acquisition, a pair of Thiel CS-2's in the dining room. With the wife walking out of the room just now. Not a word about moving them at all. Other then to say NICE!
But then she knows they will be replacing another pair or sold. It has only been a few days this time.
What can I say she likes big speakers.

I know how lucky I am!

Barney

If it was me I'd get rid of that white cabinet and find something that doesn't clash with the speakers and take over the room (probably a modern glass entertainment center with a TV mount). Since you've got windows behind you, you obviously can't wall mount the TV, but if you could do that and add a couple of shelves for the components, it would feel a lot less like an equipment room. Keep the grilles on and the speakers will be a lot less obvious.

After scoring some new speakers at an incredible price at auction I fly approx 600 miles to pick them up as every courier company I ring either wants ridiculous money to transport them ($600) or won't deal with the auction house.

So I hire a campervan (cheapest hire option) and spend the night in a parking lot at the beach then drive an hour to pick the speakers up the next morning.

Two massive boxes just fit in ( each speaker alone weighs 73kg or 160 pounds without packaging which includes solid mdf board) and I proceed to drive home which takes over 12 hours.

I get home, unload them and set them up with the help of my brother. We love them.

The wife gets home, walks through the door. First thing out of her mouth is " I can't believe those. They look absolutely shit. God I just hate living in this house now (referring to hifi gear). She's bloody unimpressed and angry.

What do you do?!

Sigh......

Speakers in question are Magnat Quantum Signature speakers in gloss black.

https://www.magnat.de/en/audiophile/quantum-signature/

magnat-1500x1000.jpg

If your wife isn't as beautiful as those speakers, get rid of her and turn them up to at least 11. If she is more beautiful than those speakers...I envy you.

That tones down the bling for sure, actually for me it's that large flat screen (where it is) that is the biggest visual assault. I understand though that your space is limited and that the media stand was probably primarily acquired for this purpose.

We are renting and have made do with the furniture we already owned before moving. We are "just getting by" at the moment with what we have. We will make our "home" hopefully within the next 12 months :)

You never know she may grow to like them soon. Like the my wife and a system in the bedroom. She now can work it on her own. Can't stand watching TV without a system on.

Barney

Back
Top Bottom