Wife hates new speakers......Sigh

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Homer4beer, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

Geez I didn't think he was getting beat up, just a bunch of advice and experience sharing. That's just the way I would want it. Truthful and not sugar coated. With a little ribbing just for fun.

I would be very appreciative of that, personally.

Edit: hell, I'm happy if I get 3 replies on my threads.

Bill Ferris, StimpyWan, boza and 4 others like this.
  2. Apolek

Apolek AK Subscriber Subscriber

If I buy something the wife hates, I'll just go into stealth mode for a while until the storm passes. Put the grills on the speakers, and just let them sit for a while. Don't play them, don't refer to them in any way, don't talk about them... just let them settle in and become part of the landscape. If that fails... think about renting a bigger house until the one you're building is done. Moving twice might be a pain, but there's benefits.

This just reminds me of how lucky I am. My wife would probably be overjoyed if I brought home four Peavey or Cerwin Vega PA speakers and stacked them in the living room. The only speakers she doesn't like aesthetically are what she calls "droid speakers"... anything that looks like it will sprout arms and legs start walking about the room like something out of Star Wars.

3. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

Put them in storage and let her know you did it to keep her happy. Then mope around for weeks acting like the world ended because you miss the speakers so much. If she doesn't break down and ask you to bring them back, then put the new house on fast track.

But really I love big speaker systems, but in small rooms you won't get their potential. A small system with a hidden sub will sound just as good.

4. Apolek

Apolek AK Subscriber Subscriber

:rflmao:

Don't forget "the face"! A must if you're using the "mope around" strategy! I got this one down real good :naughty:

small lip.jpg

Lavane, jwrauch, jeb98 and 4 others like this.
  5. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Feel your small space dilemma. Previous house was shared TV Audio area, for 20 years. Audio was tolerated or "Too Loud".

Killer Fox likes this.
  6. Boozehound

Boozehound STP. Subscriber

Not to pile on, but the room looks way to small for them. Put them in storage until you get that larger space, until then bookshelf's on stands could be the ticket.
    BTW very nice speakers you have there.

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Bill Ferris and Killer Fox like this.
  7. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

This could be your chance to pick up an extra set of smaller speakers. Just tell her that you thought about her concerns and realized she is right, they are too big. Shop some different smaller ones. Put the big ones in storage. Then when you move to the new place, BOOM two sets ready to go! Maybe pickup another amp as well along the way before the move.

The chance to buy audio gear might become more difficult after you are in the new place. There is always "need something else first" it seems with home ownership.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I would start looking at in-wall solutions from DefTech or Martin Logan. With the right setup and proper (stylish) room treatments you'll never miss the big ugly boxes. That plus the silence is worth the trouble and cost.

9. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah if you mope around enough they will sometimes buy what you want with their money. A loving wife always hates to see their husband sad.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  10. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

OP is a renter, so I'm sure the next tenants will enjoy his lease-hold improvements... :)
    He'll never miss the expense and the damage deposit.

Chip

Bill Ferris and Homer4beer like this.
  11. MannyE

Oh.... never mind then. No in-wall speakers for you!

stish and Bill Ferris like this.
  12. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

It could be worse. Remember the movie "A Christmas Story" when the Dad gets the "Leg Lamp" and proudly displays it in the front window of the house for all the neighbors to see? Yea, it could be worse.......

BillWojo

13. MannyE

Oh wow I was just thinking about the leg lamp and I couldn't remember where it came from! Awesome. I want one.

14. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

A old friend asked me about speakers so he could hear the TV better and use a powered sub. Wife made him get rid of the big floor models long ago because of size. Realistic Nova something. I don't recall right now. They were just to big. I gave him a Klipsch Quintet outfit and showed how to connect it all up. The next time asked how they sounded, never used them. Still to big. So I showed her a sound bar and she said ugly! So still TV speakers they have a hard time hearing.

Barney

Bill Ferris likes this.
  15. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

GDM, it's a good thing I'm currently not sharing an office at work, because you literally had me laughing out loud with your response. Well done!

stish, Bill Ferris and gdmoore28 like this.
  16. Hajidub

Hajidub He's a beast! Subscriber

Well, its been a good run but unfortunately you have to get rid of them.

Wife I mean.

Dale A B likes this.
  17. Funky54

Funky54 Well-Known Member

This subject came up here with my local circle of friends..... one husband was complaining that his wife hated his new towers.... For once I felt this tremendous sense of pride and appreciation for my wife I said in a kind way, “ya know I really appreciate that about my wife, she really doesn’t care what Speakers I have” with like no lag in time the third friend said without missing a beat...”Yeah but your not aloud to turn them on”

It was crushing... she does get bent out of shape when I listen to them often.

By the way OP, we can be friends and all but your wife and my wife can never meet.

Bill Ferris, Homer4beer and ben_ like this.
  18. terpodion

terpodion Active Member

This is why I have multiple systems; bedroom, kitchen, parlor and garage / workshop. She is fairly tolerant but I don't push my luck. The garage / workshop setup looks like something that belongs in a bad 1950's sci-fi movie. No wife, and a lot of men would ever let it in their home. However, it's powerful enough to cause sterility and kill small animals.

Have you considered renting a unit in an industrial park? I knew a guy who did that and he made the rent each month by running illicit poker games.

19. Funky54

Funky54 Well-Known Member

My wife never had a problem with any of our audio “stuff”. One of her girlfriends moved into a new house and she witnessed her tell her husband how it’s gonna be!

Like outta nowhere my wife told me she hates our audio gear showing. The set up in the first pic was supposed to be temporary. The thing holding my gear is from an old house where it used to be wall mounted. It sat like this temporary for like four years.

She complained about the audio gear... so I sadly said I understood and i’ll Come up with a way to fix it. Here’s how it did look.

[​IMG]

What I did is repurpose hurricane Irma;s window plywood and build this in the garage... one day she went to work and I did not. This happened. Now I have Atmos 5.1.4.
    Not done yet... but it’s getting there. Now keep in mind.. I did this for her. And I reminded her of that when she discerned there was a whole in the wall lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stish, Bill Ferris, matteos and 4 others like this.
  20. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

You built another one on the left right? To hide, I mean "hold" her knick knacks? :rolleyes::biggrin: seriouly, nice work!

stish and Bill Ferris like this.