WiFi router causing interference

@udi0$lave

Hi all, I've got a Netgear router with beam-forming technology that's pretty powerful, behind the entertainment center where my Luxman R-1040 resides. I had the same issue with my Pioneer before it, and several pairs of speakers. When the receiver is on, I get some static and crackle. I turn off the router and it goes away. Unfortunately I can't move either device. Any ideas? Possibly some kind of shielded speaker wire?

Speaker cable is downstream of the problem. RFI noise could be directly radiated, transmitted via AC or both. Perhaps shielded aftermarket AC cord / conditioner (for both devices). If the cause is radiated energy, then you must physically shield/isolate the Luxman.

If your Sympton recongnition is on then what E-Stat said is sound. I just spent the day chasing down basically the same thing in a DDG engine room. Good luck.

:beerchug:

I had to move my wifi router and modem to the laundry room where the service comes in. Not as good of a signal in certain areas, but cut the noise.

Anything you try will be just a reduction of noise. Short of a Faraday cage around the Audio gear the signal, if present, will get through. That dose not mean give up. It means that life, and the cure for this issue is not perfect. All these ideas are good ones. The best however is to find some way to move the router. Not sure why moving it is a non starter for you, but the cords to relocate it are readily available. That solution has the inverse square law working for you. Double the distance and the strength of the interfering signal drops to 1/4. Triple the distance and it is 1/9 and 4 times the distance, 1/16, etc. That is a 6dB drop for each double. It is a powerful tool.

Good Luck

Shelly_D

Anything you try will be just a reduction of noise. Short of a Faraday cage around the Audio gear the signal, if present, will get through. That does not mean give up. It means that life, and the cure for this issue is not perfect. All these ideas are good ones. The best however is to find some way to move the router. Not sure why moving it is a non starter for you, but the cords to relocate it are readily available. That solution has the inverse square law working for you. Double the distance and the strength of the interfering signal drops to 1/4. Triple the distance and it is 1/9 and 4 times the distance, 1/16, etc. That is a 6dB drop for each double. It is a powerful tool.

Good Luck

Shelly_D

The inverse square law is your friend.

Good post.

We understand you don't want to relocate anything.

Hey shelly_d; a Faraday cage around his router would solve it!

The inverse square law is your friend.

Good post.

We understand you don't want to relocate anything.

Hey shelly_d; a Faraday cage around his router would solve it!

IT is a Wi-Fi Router. Kinda defeats the idea of the router, doesn't it.

just like you can hear a cell phone RF signal thru your clock radio even when it is off, the RF signal is getting into the analog circutry and being rectified. You are hearing the modulation baseband! Very difficult to get rid of apart from shielding cabling and your receiver... Another option is to put the antennas further away with extension wires. if your router still has antennas. Are you sure there is no way you can put it further away? Try experimenting how far you may have to put it to reduce the interference to acceptable levels.. or rotating the router to change the beam direction.

Back
Top Bottom