wild edible plants thread

Giant Puffballs are delicious. Really depends on how you cook/season them, but most just fry with butter or deep fry with light batter. I've only found edible one once in my region - I don't think it's all that common in the PNW area.

Most wild mushrooms scare the hell out of me as an edible. Morels & shelf types not so much but the story I read on an experienced forager needing a liver transplant 24 hours after misidentification gives me cold sweats. So I'll likely starve after the alien invasion apocalypse when my canned beans run out & supply chains are gone...

rakka_still.jpg

Most wild mushrooms scare the hell out of me as an edible. Morels & shelf types not so much but the story I read on an experienced forager needing a liver transplant 24 hours after misidentification gives me cold sweats. So I'll likely starve after the alien invasion apocalypse when my canned beans run out & supply chains are gone...

No doubt - it's scary to think about making such mistakes. A lot of times, it's the "experienced" that get in trouble. If you stay with only a few kinds of mushrooms that you're comfortable with and carefully follow the identifying guidelines, there isn't really much risk. When I grew up in the overseas, kids living near the mountains went mushroom picking all the time. Same thing I saw in Europe - as young as 5-6 year old kids picking mushrooms with their siblings and parents. Its risk is similar to handling guns. Gun can do horrible damages to people if not treated with respect and care, but when trained well, you have so much fun with it.

I grew up eating polk salad but in the south we pronounce it "poke sallet". You only eat the leaves but they're considered poisonous unless well cooked. Served with sliced boiled eggs they taste similar to spinach but better. I recall my mother sending me out into the woods to pick a "mess" ( southern for a bunch of greens ).

When I hear the Elvis song, "Polk Salad Annie" it reminds me of picking poke sallet as a kid.

pokeweed.jpg

Last edited:
I recall the childhood excitement of school letting out for the summer and knowing that wild blackberries would be ripe a few weeks later. We lived on a farm at the foot of a small mountain where rows of wild blackberries bushes grew. My mother majored in home economics at UGa and was a fine cook. She always told us boys that if we picked a boiler full of blackberries she'd make a cobbler. If you had tasted one of her deep dish cobblers with dumplings you'd know that was a great incentive. Picking blackberries was not easy as you had to deal with the briars and ticks but worst of all were the chiggers ( redbugs ) that burrowed under the skin and itched like crazy. Mother instructed us to always pick a few unripe red blackberries as they added some nice tartness. Small wild blackberries are far better than the commercially grown versions found in grocery stores many of which lack those wonderful seeds. I'd give a hundred dollar bill right now for one of mom's blackberry cobblers. My brothers and I have tried to duplicate her recipe but haven't come close. If your mom is still living now is the time to learn how she makes your favorite dish otherwise one day you'll wish you had.

71934799-red-and-black-wild-blackberries-bushes-and-branches-on-green-leaves-background-in-the-garden-during-.jpg

Last edited:
Pokeweed. A native here told me it was good when I first came here, and I had one sprout up in one of my flower beds. Huge thing. Started picking leaves till I had a whole bagful. Had a visit from a plant biologist friend and showed them to her. She freaked out and said the leaves of the adult plant would give you horrible intestinal upset, and you should only cut the sprouts as they come out of the ground, like asparagus. I never did eat any pokeweed.

Those blackberries look tasty!

We have a plant around here called beauty berry. There were a lot of them on my property and I had every intention of picking them. Unfortunately, due to back issues, I missed the very short season. Oh well, next year.

1799.Jpg

Pohole (fiddleheads). Not my photo. They grow year round in Hawaii. But I've been cheating and just buying them at the farmers market. Tastes like asparagus and okra.

img_0905.jpg

Limu (Hawaiian), ogo (Japanese) seaweed. Not my photo. A life time favorite. It tastes like the sea and it's crunchy. Often this or another version is found in the classic Hawaiian Poke dish. It can be sun dried and later reconstituted in water. Good stuff!

What's really weird is, there is a version found in Washington state that is nearly identical.

ogo_seaweed_raw.jpg

Last edited:
We have a plant around here called beauty berry. There were a lot of them on my property and I had every intention of picking them. Unfortunately, due to back issues, I missed the very short season. Oh well, next year.

1799.Jpg

I know where there are a couple of these in a landscaped area. Didn't know what they were or that they were edible. I will have to verify they are the same thing but those little purple berries are distinctive. What do they taste like? Do you just eat them, make jelly, ?

This year was going to be my first try; so I cannot answer the questions. A google search responded with an edible report and a couple of cautions. My damaged back interferes with my life a lot and this was just another time.

Pokeweed. A native here told me it was good when I first came here, and I had one sprout up in one of my flower beds. Huge thing. Started picking leaves till I had a whole bagful. Had a visit from a plant biologist friend and showed them to her. She freaked out and said the leaves of the adult plant would give you horrible intestinal upset, and you should only cut the sprouts as they come out of the ground, like asparagus. I never did eat any pokeweed.

Those blackberries look tasty!

A yearly event in Harlan County, Ky is the "Poke Sallet Festival".

1799.Jpg

These look like black elderberries.

Elderberries (at least the ones I know) are much darker - literally almost black although I've never heard them called 'black' - each berry is larger than these, and they grow on an umbrella-shaped crown called an umble.

The also get ripe around Aug. 1 here in the Midwest, whereas the lighter purple ones are in the fall.

Interesting. We have mostly red elderberries around here, so I don't see the black ones very often. Supposedly can make jelly from the red but have never tried, only the black (which is SUPER GOOD, btw).

Below: Red Elderberry, Sambucus racemosa

Sambucus-racemosa-624x469.png

Black Elderberry juice itself is quite bland but when mixed with sugar in a jelly, the taste is much more complex and delicious.

I've also made red wine with them by blending with red grapes. I used to have a Concord vine and a blend of the two, made dry (can't stand the sweet stuff) was really good. I also used a rather expensive Missouri grape called Norton once. Norton grapes make an excellent dry red that ages very well. Alas, the Norton Elderberry batch went bad (some kind of bacteria) but it still had alcohol so I turned it into brandy. :thumbsup:

Black Elderberry juice itself is quite bland but when mixed with sugar in a jelly, the taste is much more complex and delicious.

I've also made red wine with them by blending with red grapes. I used to have a Concord vine and a blend of the two, made dry (can't stand the sweet stuff) was really good. I also used a rather expensive Missouri grape called Norton once. Norton grapes make an excellent dry red that ages very well. Alas, the Norton Elderberry batch went bad (some kind of bacteria) but it still had alcohol so I turned it into brandy. :thumbsup:
I've done Elderberry tincture of some sort by adding Elderberries in vodka and sugar mixture.

Today, for the first time in a few years, I saw some good mushrooms popping up. One on the left is the biggest Chanterelle I've ever seen. about 8 inches across the top. Some Matsutakes. I had to hike 4 hours each way though. 36 degrees at the top of the mountain, and I saw some snow from last night.

Also a picture of early Birch Bolete I found a few weeks ago. Finally a root harvest from a roughly 20 years old false solomon's seal.

2018 mushrooms.jpg
ABolete.jpg
Solom.jpg

This time of year reminds me of the locust beer we used to make. Locust trees produce these long pods which taste pretty good on their own after they ripen and turn black. But when crushed with sugar and water added and left to ferment can produce some good tasting cider. We had a large crock that was once a butter churn and dad would cover it and let the concoction stand for a few weeks and the results was a nice sparking beverage. Some folks make it with honey and I've even heard of cornbread being added to the mixture. :eek:

hobeylocustpod.JPG

This time of year reminds me of the locust beer we used to make. Locust trees produce these long pods which taste pretty good on their own after they ripen and turn black. But when crushed with sugar and water added and left to ferment can produce some good tasting cider. We had a large crock that was once a butter churn and dad would cover it and let the concoction stand for a few weeks and the results was a nice sparking beverage. Some folks make it with honey and I've even heard of cornbread being added to the mixture. :eek:
Never heard that before. That's fascinating. I remember eating the flowers of either black locust or Acacia trees when I was young. Also my parents made vodka infused with the flowers.

Back
Top Bottom