Will Pioneer RG-1 upgrade music quality

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by cp2buy, Oct 10, 2006.

1. cp2buy

cp2buy Super Member

Finally improved my main system. My Pioneer SA 9800 amp was driving a set of A-50 dynaco and Pioneer CS G9000. I use the set seperately and ocassionally A/B them. With a recent refoam of Infinity 7 kappas they have kicked the CG G9000 to the corner and greatly upgraded my system. They are a pleasure to listen to. Now to my question, I picked up an RG1 Dynamic Processor back in the summer and have not utilized it yet. Considering it is in good shape should the RG1 enhance the musical quality beyond a high end set of speakers? Or what should I expect from adding it to my system?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove Super Member

There are a lot of threads that discuss the pros and cons of dynamic expanders in the Pioneer forum (RG1 and RG-2, et al), as well as the other forums. I like the affect on my tapes and LPs. Others do not.

Doc

3. cp2buy

cp2buy Super Member

Thanks Dr. I did read several posts on the RG1-RG2 but was hoping to ascertain if the RG1 or other sound processor in general compensated for low/mid wattage amps/receivers and mid range speakers. It would be helpful to know if anyone with 100-200 watts systems found them useful.

4. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

The RG-1 is not going to compensate for bad speakers or low wattage amps.

What the RG-1 WILL do with varying levels of success is make the the peak levels in your source signal louder relative to the average and low levels in your signal.

I found the RG-1 can make some sources sound punchier and bring the soundstage forward. On records it tended to amplify the pops and crackles. It worked well on FM. Didn't do much for CD's except boost the overall level a bit.

5. Rybeam

Rybeam Super Member

I owned an RG-1 for about 30 years. i have had it on all kinds of systems. I found it harsh and anoying on low power systems, but like it with an SX-950. As pointed out I use it only on LPs and tapes once and a while on FM.

6. Randy Quad

Randy Quad Quadraphonic Survivor

I am pro rg1. meters are fun and it does have an impact on the sound. In my opinion the change is a positive one, but it is all about your own ears. for me it makes the modern hip-hop beats come through a little funkier and the rock and roll and little deeper.

7. Loz-Pioneer-Nut

Loz-Pioneer-Nut ..........it`s up to you!

ITS ALL ABOUT YOUR OWN EARS AND YOUR OWN TASTE. I think the early sound processors were just an early form of the kind of thing you get from an effect on an AV amp - ie. Concert Mode, Stadium Mode or something of that nature. Whether you think that added dimension improves the sound is down to your preference. To me, I think its an interference - if the artist wanted that effect to come across with his/her music, they would have already added that in the mix. But again, its down to what you want. I think that when processors are part of a full tower, they look nice with all the other components when lit up. :yes: :thmbsp:

8. OldSkool

OldSkool Pioneer Nut

I do use the RG1 on some sources, and to me it does make the sound more appealing when adjusted correctly.

9. madpioneer

madpioneer Super Member

RG-1 & RG-2 always running on my SPEC rig. Makes all the Rock sound better, punchier, deep bass hits. Wouldn't want it any other way. Setup thru a dbx 200 selector and have the option to remove any of three processors anytime. But like the RG-1 on with most everything. FM, tape and LP have the most impact with CD, MD,& DAT the least.

10. alwayslooking

alwayslooking Recorded Live

You got it in the summer and have not tried it? It is a simple hook up and you can always turn it off but leave the lights on.

11. cp2buy

cp2buy Super Member

Thanks! I am getting to the point where I am happy with performance of my three main systems in my home and don't wan't to take to much time away from my listening pleasure. Main systems are Pioneer SA 9800, sansui 517, sansui 2000x. I have yet to give quality time to my pioneeer 1010, yahama 2040, bose 901 II speakers, or pioneer equalizer. While I will continue to look for ways to upgrade my musical listening experience, I was suspecting the RG1 offer more more gimmickry than substantial appreciation of musical reproduction. As a side note I do like my 2000X because of the way that bass/treble on the right or left channel can be adjusted to give more of a live performance effect.

12. scott911sc

scott911sc Active Member

i have been using one of these for years, but i usually hook it up by going directly form the phono preamp to the RG-1 and from the RG-1 to the amplifer

according to this site - have had it hooked up wrong, or possibly, not optimally, any thoughts

http://www.webspawner.com/users/silvertechaudio/pioneerrg1dynam.html

Hookup:

You are supposed to insert the RG-1 in a tape loop (or processor loop if there is one) of your amp or receiver. You then switch that tape loop to the "monitor" (on) position. The unprocessed signal goes out of the amp/receiver via the tape "REC" jacks to the "INPUT" of the RG-1. The processed signal from the RG-1 exits from its "OUTPUT" jacks, back into the amp/receiver's tape "PLAY" jacks. The other (less desirable) way to use the RG-1 with your amp/receiver is to insert it between the pre/power amp sections if you have those connections. If your amp or receiver has jumpered preamp out/main amp in, you can remove the jumpers and insert the RG-1 between the preamp and main amp sections.

13. scott911sc

scott911sc Active Member

even after many years, i am still not sure how i feel about this thing

14. I, for one, like the effect the RG-1 has on the sound through my system.

15. Chris McColm

Chris McColm New Member

I bought the RG-1 NEW back in the '70's .... Its use was intended to bring the dynamics back to LP's -which were incredibily compressed . No signal its -3db -which helps noise on quiet passages .. up to 14 db on expansion .. un-doing the comression .. great on most vynal ...... unlocks the sound .. use on a good amp and speakers . You ajust the expansion to your own ears .. too much and you will get a pumping action on the sound .. enjoy .

16. Pioneerjohn

Pioneerjohn New Member

How do I adjust the internal gain? Could i adjust it using a sine wave, and match peak to peak on my scope?

17. Chris McColm

Chris McColm New Member

It is not a gain device and forget the sine wave ...put a record on , ajust the level knob to the 2 o clock position to start(knob on the right ). Set expansion to 8 Db . Listen and ajust as necessary . 14 db ,max, really gets the expansion going.. nice on flat sounding records and of course what you prefer . .... Ajust the gain (rt knob) so that the meters just peak out on the loudest passages , this includes percussion instruments . Do not turn the gain past this as no effect will be realized . Since records are different loudness levels , you can ajust the gain to get those meters at the right level. Once set , you can just the DB gain as desired with no ajustment on the gain . Once you get used to it it is hard to listen to old vynal any other way .Nothing to ajust inside ..its set from the factory . Phase linear made a device like this -I have both and like this one better . I have had good results on the new vynal . Ajust to your likeing . Enjoy ... its all about the music . c​

18. Pioneerjohn

Pioneerjohn New Member

There is two adjustment pots on inside. The main board.

19. Chris McColm

Chris McColm New Member

I used to have the manual for this . I would not ajust anything inside .. If there is uneven level , clean the tape switch and the other switch and the gain and DB knobs with a good cleaner . I remember reading that there was was a special calibration for this unit . Try cleaning it first . If you feel compelled to ajust these -good luck . Remember there was downward expansion -3db also no signal . Be careful .

20. Chris McColm

Chris McColm New Member

Also , I have never aujusted anything inside mine amd it works perfectly . Just cleaned the controls . and replaced the light bulbs. c