Will the Cubs win a World Series this decade?

cubdog

banging through drywall
Apparently, the Cubs are on the verge of hiring Joe Maddon as their new manager.

I've lost most of my interest in MLB and even interest in my once beloved Cubs yet even I know they are loaded with young talent. Really loaded. While young talent often does not translate into victories it seems that the Northsiders are on the right track. Finally, hopefully. The next few years should prove of interest to the most jaded of Cub fans. The table is set. The best china and good silver has been laid out.

So what do you baseball fans think? Will there be a miracle in Chicago or will the curse continue?

cubdog

Winning a World Series is as much a residue of timing and luck as it is of having a good team. That being said the teams that win are the ones who get there a lot (Duh!). In that respect I think they are headed in the right direction. Yes, I think they are going to be in a lot of playoff series in the next decade. The big question for me has become, which players will be there to see it happen. Not every top tier prospect pans out. It'll be interesting to see who Theo and Jed use as bait to get those final pieces, including the ones that will bring that veteran leadership.

My 85 year old mother is a diehard Cubs fan. It would be a great joy if they could do it in her lifetime.

If Maddon goes to the Cubs, they may contend in a couple of years but I still doubt if they'll win the Series. They'd have to get past the Nats in the NLCS.:D

Everything that the Ricketts family has done has been with the goal of having a competitive team for years and years to come. A new management team that understands the new rules of baseball and is actually innovative instead of being behind the times reactionary. Improvements to Wrigley Field that will generate income in the years to come. A new television and radio contract. A desire to sell off part of the team (around 20%) to pay for many of the improvements. And now it seems, a manager who is not an embarrassment to the franchise. This is going to be a very good team for a very long time.

Everything that the Ricketts family has done has been with the goal of having a competitive team for years and years to come. A new management team that understands the new rules of baseball and is actually innovative instead of being behind the times reactionary. Improvements to Wrigley Field that will generate income in the years to come. A new television and radio contract. A desire to sell off part of the team (around 20%) to pay for many of the improvements. And now it seems, a manager who is not an embarrassment to the franchise. This is going to be a very good team for a very long time.

The have a ways to go to catch up with the Cardinals in the NL Central.

The problem with catching up with the Cardinals is that the Birds know how to win with a mid-market payroll, mostly by having an unbelievably good player development system, along with having one hell of a knack for rescuing veterans from other teams' discard bin. They're not only competitive now, but they plan to stay that way for a long, long time.

Ahhh - the Cubs. I've been a fan since Kessinger, Santo, Beckert and Banks made up the infield. In fact, Glenn Beckert lived about two minutes away from our house, just one subdivision over! Unfortunately, Cubs fans are just too damned loyal. They'll fill Wrigley whether the Cubbies are winning or losing, so why should management pony up anything extra to get them over the top? The movie "Back to the Future II" pokes fun at the franchise for not winning a pennant until 2015 - but sadly, I think it may take another 30 years. :no:

Back
Top Bottom