Will the engine balance be upset on a internally balanced V8

There are better ways to improve gas mileage....

Iridium spark plugs

MSD sparkplug wires

Fuel injectors that are slightly lower in CFM

K&N air filter

Magnaflow mufflers
improve mpg= prius or a 21 spd mountain bike mpg 100%

There are better ways to improve gas mileage....

Iridium spark plugs

MSD sparkplug wires

Fuel injectors that are slightly lower in CFM

K&N air filter

Magnaflow mufflers

The best way to improve fuel economy is driving habit . Stick a vacuum gauge in your face and try not to let the vacuum drop

The imaginary egg on the accelerator pedal or use of a vacuum gage will net you more MPG than any of the above suggestions.

Not exactly a new concept either ... remember the Cadillac 4-6-8? The later versions used electronics to do the job, but the early tanks had multi-part cranks with clutches to engage cylinders as needed ...

WAY back in the day (around 1900?) there were machines that had a lever on the dash - pull that, and movable plates would cover the intake ports and prop the valves open to deadhead a cylinder or two.

Horrible system that worked for sh*t.
Modern multi cylinder shut downs seem to work well . Enough info and computing power make it work (also port injection and variable valve timing)
There are limits to mechanical work around.
It still comes down to weight, wind resistance, and driving style.
Your '70 Eldorado isn't going to get 30mpg unless it's a very steep downhill or its being towed

Got better mileage than my '99 Aurora ... I can set the brain to look at real time mpg, and suck that down to four mpg if I stomp on the throttle ... <G>

sKiZo my friend had a lebaron that had the gas mileage indicator and yes we could get that bugger down to 6mpg with leadfooted trys,lol. If my truck did that id never drive it .:)

Doesn't help much that it requires premium fuel.

gas_guage.jpg

And believe me - it's not kidding. The beast knows if you try to go cheap and objects strenuosly to anything less than the best.

If you pull rods and pistons from opposing banks so you have say a V6 or V4? Jaguar's V6 is made that way,
but maybe there's more critical work such as rod bearing oiling problems. Valve train for disabled cylinders would also be unhooked.
in a v8, the opposing cylinders are paired on the crank pin, without 1 there, it will try to walk. and ya, the crank itself is cast with throws to balance *2* rods and *2* pistons thru the entire phase angle. move 1 away and you cut that down and frankly, its not worth the machine shop charges to have someone even try to figure it out.

If you want a v6 - just install one

Back
Top Bottom