Will the Pioneer SX-1050 match with these speaker well?

jberenyi

I am going to witness and most likely purchase a Pioneer SX-1050 in mint condition tomorrow. Does anyone have experience using this receiver with the JBL L112 speakers?

There was a SX-950 for sale in mint condition as well but for $50 more in price why not get the SX-1050 instead. I used to own the JBL L96 speakers and I know they would pair up well but sold them and the L112's are not in my possession yet. Thus the question of compatibility.

That will be a perfect fit. I use my 1050 with JBL L100 speakers, which are very similar. It will rock with great bass from your speakers.

Other than the logos on the grille, L100 and L112 really aren't that similar.

I didn't know that. I thought they both have 12" woofers and similar midrange drivers and tweeters. What are the differences?

Different tweeters, mids, woofers, crossovers, and very different design goals.
The L100 (4310/11) was built to give a sound similar to an Altec 604. The L112 was designed to accurate and flat responding.

Well I bought the Pioneer SX-1050 in museum quality condition and the gorgeous JBL L112 speakers. Awesome sound and looks. So happy with the local purchase.

I think there's a lot of baloney talked about amp and speaker matching. What I mean is, nine times out of ten it's not an issue. The potential sticking points are twofold, the impedance of the speakers, and their tonal bias. In terms of the first, it's relatively rare to get a speaker whose impedance is so low as to create a problem for a well designed amp. In terms of tonal balance, yes, virtually all speakers differ, but unless you're looking for a full graphic EQ solution (hard to perform accurately), then in general, judicious use of the amp's tone controls will correct speakers that are light or heavy in the lower or upper registers, certainly enough to make for enjoyable listening proving that the speakers have the all important good fidelity otherwise. Of course, as has been the trend for decades - certainly here in the UK - if one chooses to use 'minimalist' amps that don't have tone controls on the basis that they are somehow 'better', then yes, Houston we have a problem, and in that case it may be necessary to match an amp to a speaker. But saying that, who makes amps that don't provide a decent, flat frequency response?! It's a poor amp that does not provide a flat frequency response. To me there's a lot of baloney going on. I am NOT saying that there are no instances when 'matching' is required but in general, for the reasons I mention, and/or unless you are listening at very high volumes, that kind of thing, it's not a real issue. Most amps will work with most speakers perfectly well and you simply adjust the tone controls to achieve your preferred tonal balance.

I think there's a lot of baloney talked about amp and speaker matching. What I mean is, nine times out of ten it's not an issue. The potential sticking points are twofold, the impedance of the speakers, and their tonal bias. In terms of the first, it's relatively rare to get a speaker whose impedance is so low as to create a problem for a well designed amp. In terms of tonal balance, yes, virtually all speakers differ, but unless you're looking for a full graphic EQ solution (hard to perform accurately), then in general, judicious use of the amp's tone controls will correct speakers that are light or heavy in the lower or upper registers, certainly enough to make for enjoyable listening proving that the speakers have the all important good fidelity otherwise. Of course, as has been the trend for decades - certainly here in the UK - if one chooses to use 'minimalist' amps that don't have tone controls on the basis that they are somehow 'better', then yes, Houston we have a problem, and in that case it may be necessary to match an amp to a speaker. But saying that, who makes amps that don't provide a decent, flat frequency response?! It's a poor amp that does not provide a flat frequency response. To me there's a lot of baloney going on. I am NOT saying that there are no instances when 'matching' is required but in general, for the reasons I mention, and/or unless you are listening at very high volumes, that kind of thing, it's not a real issue. Most amps will work with most speakers perfectly well and you simply adjust the tone controls to achieve your preferred tonal balance.

Thanks Steve. A well thought out response. Here is what I purchased. Just beautiful.

Attachments

• Pioneer SX-1050 (Custom).jpg
    Pioneer SX-1050 (Custom).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 16
  • JBL L-112 (Custom).jpg
    JBL L-112 (Custom).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom