Will the RSlllb hold up to Spec 2 at high volume?

inkman69

Im going to audition a pair of nice RSlllB's this coming friday. If I deside to buy them. I will be driving them on my spec 2. I like to listen to my music at concert level once in a while. And would be disapointed if they didnt hold up.Ive been unable to find any info on these. Any of you had any experiance with this set up are any simular?
I also noticed a pair of Infinity Kappa 7.ll on ebay last night. There also close by. About 15 min. close. I had a pair of old Kappa 8s and I was unable to drive them at the level I like to listen to my tunes. The pioneer was getting hot :smoke: (SX-1250&Spec 2) so I got rid of the kappa 8s. maby the newer smaller versions would be better. Do the 7.11's use the watkins woofers also?:scratch2:

Any insite? Thanks Tim

I don't believe you will be happy!!! You need to send them on my way. :thumbsdn: :nono: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Actually I have some CVs also. I do not believe that the infinity's will ever compete on a decibel level. The CV's are just to sensitive. But the quality of the infinity's is better by miles for my ears. If you want it loud the CV's are amazing. Its going to kill me to admit this, but some rock seems to be recorded expressly for the Cerwin Vegas. In the rock arena (where clarity and sonic purity are not high priorities) I've got to give them their dues. But I love the infinity's for most everything.

Specs are wonderful, but if (and I'm not sure, but IF) the Spec-2 can't handle 'em, then those speakers are worth an amp "upgrade". Keep the Specs for other speakers they are compatible with, and run two systems, if you have the space for it. Just one opinion/suggestion.

UGERNOT, I was thinking of keeping the CV's for the loud feel good get it out of my system,Blow the windows out kinda moods. And the infinitys for the layed back and enjoy the detailed music kinda moods.
Know just to convince the wife we need two sets of floor speakers.:scratch2: Hmmmmm. She is going on a 4 day trip with the girls too florida. What could she posably say?:thmbsp:

Arkay...you dont think they will be able to drive either set of Infinitys? The Kappa 7.l are the RSlllb's

I'm pretty lucky. The CVs are hers. I just can't convince her to get them out of the living room. (They almost match the entertainment system.) She don't like my 3 pair of infinity's. But she allows me to stick one pair of 5b's in her sewing room. I have another set in my computer/office, and the 4bs in the bedroom. I spend a lot of time in there. But if I ever lay hold of some 3b's I can afford her D9's are out of the living room.:banana: :banana: :banana:
If she don't like that might have to do an upgrade of another sort. :yes: :yes: :yes:

I have an 1400 sqft unfinished upstairs with 11 foot ceilings. Lots of work but still cheaper than doing a wife upgrade.:D

inkman

It saddens me to say but it seems as if the further you move up the infinity line the more difficult a load they can be. I expect the 3b's to be a heavier load than the 4bs. the woofers on the 4b are series and on the 3b they are paralleled. Its just a general rule of thumb, but it seems as if infinity was saying if you want better speakers get a better amp. They have a rep for making some difficult to drive speakers. But the lower infinitys are a relatively easy load. Once again just a real general rule of thumb.

I believe you could just about drive the CVs with an ipod to thunderous levels. OK with a 20 wpc midfi receiver.

See this thread...

My buddy has some modified RSIIIb's, see this thread (page 3) about the power he gives them...they need power.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86357&page=3

His particular pair will play 118db without an ounce of distortion, insane how crisp and transparent these play. If I ever get a chance to pick some up, I'm all over it.

I personaly have the Kappa 7.1II and drive them with a Carver C-1000. They could probably use a little more power. They sound amazing but RSIIIb's are in a league of their own.

Back
Top Bottom