Will This Fancy Metallic Glue Kill Soldering?

So I took the time to read the article and watch the video. First thing in the article, they talked about electrical engineers soldering. Ha. My college roommate graduated with an EE without ever touching a soldering iron.

Next, there was no mention of removal or repair, because as EEs know, solid state electronics never fail. This goo seems to be targeted directly at folks like Apple to ensure that even attempting repair would be futile.

The industry is so fixated on keeping lead out of the recycling stream, but if they made things repairable/upgradeable, it would stay out on its own. (Of course, they wouldn't get to sell quite so many goodies.)

I'll get off my soapbox now! :)

Chip
Please note that hyperbole is present in the above communique.

Every era in technology has its own hobbyists. Mine involves soldering.

However, things change. If every transistor would still be a single piece to be hand soldered, AK would not exist, yet....

Anyway conductive glue (using silver in the glue) was already there.

Last edited:
They mention their glue and it's one size fits all usability, but they don't mention removal for repair,,,,, and more importantly setup times for the glue. Imagine having to hold every resistor or cap in place for 5 minutes waiting for the glue to set.

I think it would be good to not have to solder wire to other wires, to components, to board pins, etc. If this stuff works well for that then I'd use it.

I think it would be good to not have to solder wire to other wires, to components, to board pins, etc. If this stuff works well for that then I'd use it.
Yeah, but it seems like they would say how to remove it for repairs,,,,,,, all they mention is how permanent the bond is,,,,,,,,, good if everything never fails.

I've worked with piezoelectric devices for well, a long time, and the holy grail has always been some means of electrical connection without heating them up, which can create an inactive area or start mechanical flaws. Silver loaded epoxies can work in many cases, but the conductivity is nowhere near as good as solder. It doesn't work well for low voltage high current multi-layer devices. There are some other techniques with their own peculiarities, but this one actually looks very promising. How one would apply it to conventional PCB based electronics is anybodies guess, and repair doesn't look like an option, but nothing gets repaired anymore anyway.

Back
Top Bottom