Will unplugging tweeters damage a speaker?

tagaiz

I have a couple sets of 3-way speakers that are decent except the tweeters that are pretty bad. Would unplugging them damage the crossovers or the other speakers or anything?

hmmm good question, the resistance would probably change. Maybe there is a dummy load you should connect in place of the tweeters, but I can't say for sure. Someone else will know with more smarts than me

I ran a set of 3 ways with the mid and tweeter disconnected for a while. Not sure if I would recommend it but it worked.

If these tweeters are so bad, why not replace them with others tweeters? Normally you'd have to modify the crossover to fit the new tweeters, but methinks it'll sound better than with no tweeters at all.

I tried it out and it sounds about a million times better at moderate to high volumes but at low it sounds kind of funky but still better. The mids are honestly better tweeters than the actual tweeters. I'm probably just going to sell them though because they're not really worth putting any money into them.

Back
Top Bottom