William Inge on Old vs. New

The sad part about them is that folks don't seem to understand the total cost of a vehicle. Instead, they focus on "monthly payment" which easily masks the answer.

I begin by negotiating a cash price and discuss financing afterwards.

Ditto

Old doesn't necessarily mean worthless, and new doesn't necessarily mean worthwhile. Exceptions abound on both sides of the aisle. Another hobby of mine is cutlery. Knives are very old technology. Cutlers take advantage of new technology, new alloys, new tools and such. But the end result is simply a tool for cutting stuff. And no matter how you gussy it up, a knife will always be old-tech in concept. It is what it is because there's no more efficient or cost effective tool for that job. But when you talk about electronics, and the reproduction of sound(a very new technology, in comparison), new CAN be better. Ours is a non-standardized hobby. Unlike, say, official NFL footballs, which are all exactly the same, even if I had the exact same gear as you, it would still sound different in my room than in yours. Too many variables to be able to standardize. And, as we all know, just because a particular component meets or exceeds certain generally agreed-upon specs, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to sound good to you, or to me, or last as long as other similar gear.. Again, too many variables, not the least of which is the subjectivity of an individual's opinions.

I'm in complete agreeance with you Justjed2. I've a few antique pieces of furniture which are lovely, whereas items which are used regularly like beds, couches etc are new. What looks fantastic to me may be hideous to another. My wife hates my Extrema BR14 audio rack for example. To me it shows my gear in its best light and makes it all easily accessible.

The same with audio gear where I've a mix of new and old components in each system. I use whatever sounds best to my ears. Both of my systems are polar opposites with my main system being warm, full bodied and forgiving. My secondary is neutral and extremely transparent. I enjoy each in their own way and both are a blend of old and new componentry :)

Okay, I gotta ask you to elaborate a little on that question. Or is that a rhetorical statement?:)
What's the word?
2014-01-16-bum2.jpg

Like Humans everything we grow, produce, manufacture, has a point in time where the maturing process reaches a peak.
Some of us reach our peak in the teens, other much later on. Motors all seem to have a break in period. Speakers are that way. I know the heads on one of my tube Ampexs needed a couple 100 hours to be at there at their best and then we would modify the EQ stage to center the range of the eq controls. I never had the issue with SS Ampex or Revox. We use to tune up older Crown recorders, too. Every A=77 Revox had motor drive issues. But once updated would work for many years. So all thing have an optimal period of operation. Mcintosh 2100's were modified through the production run to reduce small signal distortion. MC 3500's had power supple regulation issues that needed up dating over time. These units after a short period reach their best performance and then its the big downhill slide. With Hifi equipment its a question of how much of a slide can you tolerate, because like all humans we are eventually going to fail. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the ride.

Old doesn't necessarily mean worthless, and new doesn't necessarily mean worthwhile. Exceptions abound on both sides of the aisle. Another hobby of mine is cutlery. Knives are very old technology. Cutlers take advantage of new technology, new alloys, new tools and such. But the end result is simply a tool for cutting stuff. And no matter how you gussy it up, a knife will always be old-tech in concept. It is what it is because there's no more efficient or cost effective tool for that job. But when you talk about electronics, and the reproduction of sound(a very new technology, in comparison), new CAN be better. Ours is a non-standardized hobby. Unlike, say, official NFL footballs, which are all exactly the same, even if I had the exact same gear as you, it would still sound different in my room than in yours. Too many variables to be able to standardize. And, as we all know, just because a particular component meets or exceeds certain generally agreed-upon specs, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to sound good to you, or to me, or last as long as other similar gear.. Again, too many variables, not the least of which is the subjectivity of an individual's opinions.

Speaking of footballs being all the same...do you think Tom Brady's hi-fi system ever sounds...deflated?

Back
Top Bottom