Windows 10 (as a service) re-occurring costs?

meggy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Is there any definitive pricing for Windows 10 when Microsoft starts charging for updates and such? I can't find anything solid out there.

Lots of mis/dis-information. My understanding is that Microsoft is targeting businesses that lease hardware. Microsoft will basically manage the computers with updates, etc. Sorta like having a remote IT guy from Microsoft. Don't know the prices, but reports say $100 per year. Home users and perhaps "pro/business" users should be able to continue using Windows 10 as they do now. Or maybe not. Microsoft has not been forthcoming about the details since their subscription-based model was leaked.

I've paused my automatic updates on my Windows computers (I run two Windows units and two Macbooks) based on reports that the October Windows 10 update might erase files. I think this is rare, but it certainly could be catastrophic. You can pause updates in Windows 10 for 35 days, but they will eventually force you to update.

Again - this is for enterprise customers, not home users, so no worries.
Not sure why the big announcement - may be targeting small businesses, though.
Large org's already 'lease' winOS's (usually through RFPs and multi-year contracts), and have dozens of staff to test Win patches/upgrade compatibility with all the other rules and configs they push out to desktops before pulling the switch on the latest Win upgrades (sometimes these are huge complex projects - I've run some that took years).
Might be helpful for small orgs with not much IT support, but upgrades could still run afoul of firewall rules & such.
Any small business IT support contractors/vendors out there to comment?
Home use, doesn't apply, so this is a false alarm - nothing changes for us 'homey's.

If you don't subscribe, you'll miss out on some of the new premium features, such as the retinal scanning that verifies your license and is capable of shooting a laser that will painlessly lobotomize any non-registered users.

** The "threshold three" update package will also enable short distance teleportation. That feature is currently beta as there's still a few bugs in the system ...

8510477_f520.jpg

Oh ... and the only search service that will work on the platform will be Bing ...

(pass it on)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom