• Home - Other, Work - Win 10

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Home - Other, Work - Other

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters

loopstick

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Intro: Some of us hate Windows 10 for its schoolgirl nosiness about our computer activities. So we disable services like updates - kill Cortana - etc. The risk of doing this is that we will miss a security patch and get hacked and ???

Meanwhile at work where people are getting paid $$$ for IT, security, etc., there may be something other than Windows 10 installed as the primary office OS. So what's your situation? Four options:

1) Home - Windows 10, Work - Windows 10
2) Home - Windows 10, Work - Other
3) Home - Other, Work - Windows 10
4) Home - Other, Work - Other

I'm not a fanboy (of either Apple or Microsoft), but I've been using Windows 10 since they started the free upgrade, and it's my favorite desktop OS at the moment (and I also have a Macbook Pro), and I've used every desktop version of Windows (and several versions of MacOS/OS X) since 1987. A large part of this may be familiarity with the Windows platform; until 2014 I hadn't used a Mac regularly for over 20 years previous.

I'm the odd man out who prefers Windows 8.1 and its Start screen. I thought (and still think) it was a fresh approach to an old, stale way of using Windows that has been around since 1995 - the Start menu.

That said, I use Win 10 at work and have a couple laptops at home which I upgraded from 7 to 10. In the past year I've also discovered that I really like Linux Mint - I use it in a VM on my main desktop computer at home.

Yeah where is the "I don't use it" or "Windows 10 looks exceptionally stylish when seen in a garbage can" options?
I prefer Windows 8 which I use with a Classic Shell start menu replacement. Now Windows 8 is technically out of support, but the update from Server 2012 are codebase identical. So I have "unofficial" update support with the "Get Windows 10" nags.

Senior IT engineer, been in IT over 20 years, and Windows 10 is THE best desktop OS Microsoft have ever made. I am less enamoured by some of their other products (currently engulfed in Office 2106 / Surface Pro 4 / 365 hell) but Win 10 is awesome.

Senior IT engineer, been in IT over 20 years, and Windows 10 is THE best desktop OS Microsoft have ever made.

Respectfully disagree.

I also work in IT, not as long as you, no (I made a midlife career change), but...

If you like updates being forced on you that breaks other software, and if you like your OS spying on you and sending your personal info to Redmond, then...yes, I suppose Win 10 is a pretty good OS.

Win 10 at home, but am retired so there wasn't an option for that in the poll.. Have had lots of start menu trouble at first. It is now working since the last major update. so other than that PIA it works fine. I personally don't get why some people love a particular operating system and others hate the same one. Vista was one where it seemed everyone hated it, but I ran the thing for something like 8 years without problems. Win 8 was another hated OS but with just a few tweaks and the addition of freeware like Classic Shell it seem to get the job done. I don't know if I care one way or the other about updates being "forced" on me, but nothing in my life is "mission critical" so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.

The one thing that I don't like and would never buy into is an operating system that is tied (welded) to proprietary hardware that starts to seem like it owns you instead of the other way around. This includes mobile OS's as well. With Microsoft at least I can shop around with different hardware companies and buy what I want, often for less money. Competition, I like that.

Senior IT engineer, been in IT over 20 years, and Windows 10 is THE best desktop OS Microsoft have ever made. I am less enamoured by some of their other products (currently engulfed in Office 2106 / Surface Pro 4 / 365 hell) but Win 10 is awesome.

I'll see your 20 years and raise you to 43 years (I'm 63 and will retire in 21 months :D) and yes I agree Windows 10 is the best OS I have ever used. Fast (my home gaming rig boots in 20 secs) Stable (never had a BSOD), and easy to install and deploy.

I'll see your 20 years and raise you to 43 years (I'm 63 and will retire in 21 months :D) and yes I agree Windows 10 is the best OS I have ever used. Fast (my home gaming rig boots in 20 secs) Stable (never had a BSOD), and easy to install and deploy.

Exactly why I like it. And I'm probably more like 30 years all up with a couple of breaks but who's counting :)

Just at home. Did free upgrade before offer ran out. I was a little pissed they took my solitaire and minesweeper, but I got it back. I did have an issue the other day. I did a restart and it came to a screen with my email address and asked for my Microsoft password. I had it password protected in 7 so I entered that password. No go. No idea what my MS PW was. Called support . Got kicked out of menu a few times. Then offered a pay for service option. Finally into a hold with a loop of annoying jazz poorly recorded 2 hours. No pick up. Through forums on my phone is was able to reset my MS password and finally get in. So I had a couple of thoughts. Why would MS change how I get into my pc without asking. Also it would seem my computer must be online constantly, otherwise how would it know my changed PW without being opened and into a browser. That was the only glitch but I was more than a little irked!

Jody Thornton said:
Yeah where is the "I don't use it" or "Windows 10 looks exceptionally stylish when seen in a garbage can" options?

Exactly Judy..... I cant vote!!

Ah man!!

I've been fooling around with computers since 1982. Going by all I've read, both good and bad, I plan on avoiding Windows 10 for as long as humanly possible. I dislike the keylogging, the privacy invasion, the forced updates, the advertising, the lack of Classic GUI (which I still use with 7), the lack of good hardware drivers... the list goes on and on. No, thanks. Newer doesn't always mean better. 10 is an answer to a question no one asked.

Windows 10 on two personal laptops. It's coming soon to my work environment. I don't mind it.

Back
Top Bottom