Windows XP Fresh Install ?

As a matter of fact you could probably partition the other machine's drive and clone it there, keeping both operating systems. Or, add another disk and clone it to there.

Or, or, or, maybe if you add the XP disk as the second drive in the other machine you might be able to fire up the program you want through Windows Explorer. Lot's of if's. Disk drive type and if the motherboard supports it, BIOS settings, SATA or ATA, cables, etc. Could be time consuming.

Yeah, I like a challenge. I wonder if I burn the rephase program to a disc if I could load it that way ? I don't know if it will even run on xp either. I have another 2400 here at work that I put a couple of excel programs I made on and use as remote desktop for another guy on his windows 10 machine because the newer excel messes them up.

Why do you want a fresh install of XP? It'll wipe out your CAD and you still won't be able to get on the Internet without an updated compatible browser.

I'm working on a machine at home (Dell 2400), don't really need anything but the rephase program on that one. The CAD program is on this machine at work (Dell GX270).

I just burned it to a disc and unzipped it on the disc. It seems to run on this xp computer.

rephase.jpg

you can try running this xyz program on a newer version of windows. right click on the
exe and select a version of Windows.

the point is more than just running it - you can detect which versions of windows are friendlier.

I've had to experiment this way and found that many older windows versions can be used
to host an older program, and many problems are due to the program requiring some
other dll etc that needs an update. for example, a specific .net version or a database dll
or the 64-bit (or 32-bit version) of something.

research this xyz program to see how far forward it can go. if you have some experience
programming, throw the program into debug and work it along, looking at logs, etc.

I wish I could clone this drive to the other machine. lol
It's a Dell Dimension 2400 at home I need to see what this is.

I tried using wine in linux, but the rephase.exe wouldn't do anything. I'm not a wine expert though.

Macrium Reflect.

Here are some considerations:
  • For internet connectivity, the Windows installation disc contains and installs whatever you may need to connect to the internet. What could be missing, depending upon what machine you are setting up, could be certain hardware-specific drivers (for your LAN card, WIFI interface, etc.) Many drivers for older hardware are included in the installation disc. Such drivers should be available on the machine specific disc, if you still have it.
  • Machines that were common when XP was being installed had older CPUs. Newer software has been designed to incorporate newer CPU code, called SSE2 instructions. XP machines will generally choke on that code. If you install a fresh XP build, you will have to stick to whatever browser is included, unless you can get older builds of your preferred browser.
  • A fresh Windows install will be granted up to 30 days to function, before a lack of validation will kill it.
  • Older browsers and their underlying connectivity code will connect to most web sites, even today. There are many sites that are built to newer standards with no backward compatibility built in for older browser code.
  • If your drivers suit your machine and operating system, and the operation system installation went well, you should be able to connect to the web to validate, that is unless Microsoft no longer has a provision to validate XP.

Good luck,
Rich P

first run cmd to get the command line window open then type ipconfig /all . this should tell you if its connected to the net .

plus do this .
  1. Click the Start button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
  2. Click the Run option in the right-hand column.
  3. Type “cmd” in the text box and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
  4. A black box with a flashing cursor will open; this is the Command Prompt. Type “ping” and then hit the Space bar on your keyboard.

iiattachlink

5. Type in the address you’d like to ping and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard. Wait for the ping results.
ping 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
https://etherealmind.com/what-is-the-best-ip-address-to-ping-to-test-my-internet-connection/

Just use a slipstreamed version of XP with SP3 in it for your install. MS will still validate your install- I did it only a month or so ago on an old machine.

Old apps ( https://www.oldapps.com/ ) will have whatever browser you want. No point trying to use any browsers from the last few years- they are way too resource hungry and turn an otherwise fast machine into a dog.

an old version of firefox might do the job . or a more recent lightweight browser .
opera might still work

Well I got all the device manager problems done, dell still has 2400 drivers online and no more yellow flags there for anything. I get ping in the cmd window. Still no internet with the old explorer.

Put the zip folder on the thing and it won't unzip. Says no files to unzip.

Just use a slipstreamed version of XP with SP3 in it for your install. MS will still validate your install- I did it only a month or so ago on an old machine.

Old apps ( https://www.oldapps.com/ ) will have whatever browser you want. No point trying to use any browsers from the last few years- they are way too resource hungry and turn an otherwise fast machine into a dog.

That sounds very difficult ?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...eam-an-xp-disc-with-sp3-and-all-other-updates

I got the program working (fingers crossed) ! Strange, it's a zippered file, I just clicked on it without extracting it or anything and it opened. Drug the icon over to the desktop and it works ?

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom