windows xp to record vinyl ???

krimney

I need advice, help, suggestions. I hooked my turntable up to my soundcard and I can get it to play through the PC speakers. Can I record using media player? I can record onto my hard drive from my CD drive , and then burn back to the CD-R. I'd like to transfer a bucnh of songs from vinyl onto CD. Can I do this without a bunch of extra software. I'm not looking for ultra high quality just a way to make some best of CDs.

A couple of things I did when this happened to me -

* Check to see TT is plugged into proper input on the computer
* Input is turned on and level is appropriate in the Volume Control
* Need for a phono stage (shameless plug coming) - I used a ASL, bought from Venus HiFi
* I used MusicMatch for my recording, getting the volume levels can be tricky at first. Do one track at a time to check.

g

I use this program. You can use the freeware part of the program
to record to your HD. I did buy it as I like using it. You record to a .wav file . No spyware etc. snuck into it:
http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/
You can then use this freeware to convert from any audio format
to .cda (CDformat):
http://www.sonicspot.com/streamboxripper/streamboxripper.html
Then this freeware to burn your disk:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/322774.html

These programs have worked great with no adware, lockups for me. This also allows you to put to disk without any compression.
What I use anyway. I have Windows ME and it only records 8 bit audio (garbage). I don't know about XP.

Carl

I use Musicmatch also...It works great...but...setting volume levels is a 'bit tricky..and getting each track seperately is a pain....hhmmmm....now that I think about it...it is a pain. Maybe the software makers should redisign that part of the software to make it a little easier to record from vinyl...:thumbsdn:

I put a bunch of my LPs' in my computer..and had to do each track seperately or the whole LP side comes up as 1 track. Way too time consuming

I guess if anybody has another software to do this ..I would be interested also! :dunno:

Gary, Look at the Wave Repair link. It has a track splitter.
Polderbits works good too. A trial version is at cnet.
Costs you nothing to check them out. Both worth paying for.
I have Music Match "bundle" and I don't like it one bit. ;)
Wave Repair was done especially for doing LP's.

Carl

The best I've ever seen and/or used is Sound Rescue that came with my Terratec phono to pc usb interface. The software is a version of Algorithmix's Sound Laundry. I went to Algorithmix's site and found out they have serious software for recording, but it's not cheap ($150-$200+). If you want to try it PM me.

I use Data Becker Music CD recorder. Easy to use, but it crashes often for some reason. Also when I batch record it records it in a format I can't convert. But if I record one song at at time, then it puts it in wav format on my hard drive. Then I copy it to disk.
Databecker.com

I have 2 music editors at present

DART32 and Steinburg WaveLab which allow me to make just about any kind of audio file that I could ever desire. A little expensive, but you get what you pay for in some cases and then again, I am finding the learning curve on my Steinburg is a little on the steep side <grin>

To capture music off vinyl, I use the tape out [play] on the receiver and go from rca to quarter inch to mini plug (i didn't have a straighht adaptor from rca to mini). But anyways, far and away the best program I have used *so far* is called CDex. It has a
"capture from analog" option where you can set the time of capture. Thus, if you know track lengths you dont' have to sit there and attend to it - i usually don't know the length so I have to sit there anyways :) ... You can capture directly to MP3 or to wav with the program. It may have more sophisticated volume controls as well, but I don't know because it hasn't been a problem because I use the tape out as I said. Good luck!

CDex link: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

I have CDex also, and one thing I like about it is you can leave yourself enough noise between the tracks to do an analyze so that you can remove it much better than having only a second or so to work with. Cdex does some very good things. It is well worth using.

Originally posted by CarlV

What I use anyway. I have Windows ME and it only records 8 bit audio (garbage). I don't know about XP.

Carl

Umm... I'd have to double check a winME system.....

Windows Recorder at least in win98 first and se, allowed the end user to record 16bit pcm. I would not call the menu user friendly... as in you must select save as... select 16bit 44.1, file new, and then hit record.

The default is pretty lame... but you can select CD quality easily enough.

You CAN use this to record wave files, which are just a 1:1 conversion to CD, most CD recorder software I know of.

I just set up my vinyl recording set-up tonight. I have the Marantz 6370Q ran into the Kenwood KA-3500 which has a bad output, but doesn't use it when using rec out. Seems to work great with a simple recording program I got from somewhere, can't remember where. Something from Realtek. I am also using WavPad, which is pretty good and I can record up to 96K bit rate.

My question is, does anybody know where I can find a freeware and non-trial length snap,crackle,pop remover? Wavpad has something like one, but I need a simple one.

Rob....As for Cilk and pop removal...which one ...in 'your' opinion....does a better job...I have a clik remover in the NERO also...and I think it does an OK job...but it seems like something is missing.....

Back
Top Bottom