Winners in speaker testing – Yamaha NS-1000M, JBL L80T, Akai SW-130

ymarko

Lately I find some time and did some A/B/C speaker testing using Sansui 9090DB (all settings are flat) and digital lossless format (FLAC) music. So far I tested about 10 pairs of classic vintage speakers. So far I got 3 winners that go head-by-head and it’s hard to distinguish between them.

I think list of winners looks interesting, I mean one of winners is unexpected.

* Yamaha NS-1000M. No surprise; they are highly collectible and very expensive speakers.

* JBL L80T. No surprise either; they are respectable and medium expensive speakers.

* Akai SW-130. Surprise! They are non-collectible and very inexpensive speakers. In fact, the cheapest among all 10 pairs I tested.
Some specs: 2-way, 8-ohm, woofer 12”, tweeter 3.5”. Very efficient, I found in web “Output sound pressure level 100dB/W” and “they were extra speakers options for reel to reel decks”.
They have big sound, a lot of volume and details, great bass.

My testing continues. I expect more interesting results.

Your results might gain some credibility if you told us what others you compared before narrowing the winners down to just three! Not that I'd disagree with your L80T opinion. I have two pair with T3 modifications done. Great sleeper speakers.

I'd also be interested in the rest of the speakers.

I've recently done a rough comparison of the Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur and the NS-1000Ms, although the Yammies got the short end of the stick with mediocre equipment and placing. In any case, I thought the Ref Cons won hands-down. If I keep the NS-1000Ms, I'm pretty excited about doing a true A/B test with those two, though.

Good stuff!

Greg

I'd also be interested in the rest of the speakers.

I've recently done a rough comparison of the Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur and the NS-1000Ms, although the Yammies got the short end of the stick with mediocre equipment and placing. In any case, I thought the Ref Cons won hands-down. If I keep the NS-1000Ms, I'm pretty excited about doing a true A/B test with those two, though.

Good stuff!

Greg
Are you trying to compare speakers in different rooms on different systems? I think those two are potentially a good comparison. My pre-conception would favor the Yamahas, but I'd have a very tough time trying to draw any conclusion from comparing speakers the way I suspect you are.

Last edited:
Yes, you're exactly right - different equipment and rooms, with the Yamaha getting the worse end of the deal on the equipment/room treatment at least. Like I said, it's certainly not ideal. Due to a recent move my Ref Cons are in storage at the moment, so a direct comparison isn't possible (and since I've temporarily moved into a condo, room treatment is a little iffy). If I keep the NS-1000Ms long enough, I might be able to do an A/B at some point in the future.

Having said that, I've now heard three different NS-1000 Monitors including my own, in four different setups (one was subsequently moved to a new room/equipment). I haven't heard anything that would beat the 22 Ref Cons at this point. Both have fantastic highs, while the Yamaha has a slightly better midrange I think (it is a three-way) - but the Ref Cons have a fantastic low end that really adds depth to music and far outshines the NS-1000Ms, and as a bonus are not as bright and...analytical, maybe, I'd call the Yamahas? (Not to mention that the Ref Cons are one of the nicest-looking speakers I've seen, while the Yamahas are, well...blah.)

Why would you take the 22 Ref Cons?

Greg

Amp / speaker synergy is just as important. What you might have done is find the speakers that sound good with that amp.

To be clear: I am not affiliated with the OP in any way, hahaha. It sounds like he did conduct direct A/B/C tests of the speakers in question.

Amp / speaker synergy is just as important. What you might have done is find the speakers that sound good with that amp.

Could be. On the other hand, the assessment of the Yamaha NS-1000's sounds a lot like other assessments I have heard about this speaker. People either love it, or believe it is too cold and analytical. So maybe it is not a great speaker, or it is great at some things, but has weaknesses in other areas.

Not that I would know since I have never heard them, but the reports, and there are many, seem to be consistent. Strong evidence.

I am very curious about the AKAI speakers. I have an AKAI receiver and it sounds fantastic. It is amongst the best in my collection. The highs are particularly clear. AKAI also had a stellar reputation for their tape decks. But I understand they had poor distribution in the US.

It is hard to find a high efficiency speaker for small watt tube amps. This could be a find for someone.

Last edited:
Dragging my L80T's downstairs for a test on the tube/main rig is on my short list for the remainder of this vacation.
I just keep reading so much good stuff about them!!

Cold is underrated.

Could be. On the other hand, the assessment of the Yamaha NS-1000's sounds a lot like other assessments I have heard about this speaker. People either love it, or believe it is too cold and analytical. So maybe it is not a great speaker, or it is great at some things, but has weaknesses in other areas.

Not that I would know since I have never heard them, but the reports, and there are many, seem to be consistent. Strong evidence.

I am very curious about the AKAI speakers. I have an AKAI receiver and it sounds fantastic. It is amongst the best in my collection. The highs are particularly clear. AKAI also had a stellar reputation for their tape decks. But I understand they had poor distribution in the US.

It is hard to find a high efficiency speaker for small watt tube amps. This could be a find for someone.

Cold and analytical is like oxygen. Its highly underrated, but try going up to say 15,000 feet - like teh top of pikes peak or something and see what you think.
I am curious about akai's too. maybe I've seen em at GW and walked away ... The JBL' 80's I know I dont care much for. Too warm and all bassy ...
I think the old JBL's I would like, cos I like the t350 and the other 16 inch wide horn loaded EV's.
Cool.
Srinath.

The more revealing the speaker the more unforgiving it is going to be of every single thing upstream of it. And by all accounts, it is a very revealing speaker. I think most of the speakers that people run kindly cover up a lot of problems they would find in their amps and sources were the speakers to be more revealing. I have no experience with them but have played with other very revealing speakers and they made some decently regarded gear not sound so decent...yet on some very nice Cary amplification, they sounded fantastic. Was that the fault of the speaker, or the fault of the signal you are feeding it? Synergy is nothing mysterious, it is simply having gear who's strengths compliment each other and who's weaknesses aren't magnified. And a beryllium tweeter/midrange is going to magnify anything not up to the task.

The people that enjoy these speakers seem to be running them on quality tube gear or really nice, above the run of the mill, solid state.

The more revealing the speaker the more unforgiving it is going to be of every single thing upstream of it.

I'm not sure about that. I have heard speakers that are revealing, but brutally balanced. On the other hand, I have a pair of Proacs that are very nice to listen to, and deeply revealing, especially in the midrange, but also in the high frequencies. My Sonus Fabers had the strange ability to be warm and to tear you head off with the highs. And they were revealing too.

I'm not sure about that. I have heard speakers that are revealing, but brutally balanced. On the other hand, I have a pair of Proacs that are very nice to listen to, and deeply revealing, especially in the midrange, but also in the high frequencies. My Sonus Fabers had the strange ability to be warm and to tear you head off with the highs. And they were revealing too.

I'm not saying a speaker is great because it is revealing, just that the less it covers up, the more you're going to hear any flaw. There is no way around that. If you play a less than ideal signal into your speakers, and it sounds ideal...they are coloring the sound. I personally chose speakers that aren't 100% transparent in the top end because I didn't want half of my music collection to become unlistenable. They're still very detailed and I would say they're also transparent sounding...but they don't reveal everything in the way a Beryllium tweeter/midrange is going to. They can't, and I'm very happy that they don't because I like to switch in some gear every now and then that would sound pretty bad if they did.

Did we ever get any response on this one? It started well enough, but there wasn't much of a follow-up by the OP. :scratch2:

As a comment on the NS-1000 commentary, I think there's no question that they're very revealing and keep sounding better and better as you upgrade equipment. By all accounts a quality tube system is ideal, and I've considered going that route, but I just can't justify it given my listening habits. The speakers are definitely great, though.

Greg

The 1000's always seemed detailed in the high frequency end but a little lacking in the bass response to me. But considering their size and intention for smaller rooms they sound great. The NS-2000 took this a step further and has the high frequency resolution of the NS-1000 and went a bit further on the bass with the carbon fiber woofer; A definite improvement. Then there is the FX-1 with all the great Beryllium highs and midranges of the 1000 and 2000(and probably better) with earth shaking bass. Of all the Yamahas I've HEARD it is definitely at the top of the food chain. Of course I assume I will never get to hear the GF-1 or NS-10000

Back
Top Bottom