Winter 2014 FrankenFest Workshop thread

How about I do my demo at noon?
I'll leave it setup through the day to demo for folks casually.
I can bring my Denon DP-60L with sumiko Pearl cartridge to demo with my system and loan to Adam's demo.
If available I'd like to setup in peters office space - otherwise I'll go for the pink room.

I trust the weather will cooperate!

Tapatalk

I just acquired a pair of Realistic Electrostatic 2a speakers. I understand that before I power them up I should use a variac to do so to protect the power supplies. Anyone have one they would be willing to bring?

I just acquired a pair of Realistic Electrostatic 2a speakers. I understand that before I power them up I should use a variac to do so to protect the power supplies. Anyone have one they would be willing to bring?

I have one you can take home and then return to me in the summer...lot easier than hauling speakers.

Adam, our resident B&O turntablemeister, will be doing a turntable workshop in the main lobby at 1:00. He will describe the different turntable types, what to look for if you're in a position to buy one, and what typically needs to be updated.
There will be half-a-dozen turntables set up, though none will be connected, and each one will be a different type.
There will be (Adam feel free to update):
1. A linear tracker
2. A belt drive table
3. A fully automatic turntable
4. An idler drive turntable
5. A direct drive turntable
6. A semi-automatic turntable (maybe).
7. Other?

I'll likely have more than six turntables with me, just not all on the tables at one time. I'm going to try to bring as many different turntable types as I happen to have permutations of. Some of it is close to splitting hairs (quartz vs. servo direct drive, belt vs. direct drive linear tracker, etc.), but I hope to have things fleshed out by the time Saturday rolls around, and I start hauling turntables in.

Does anyone have a semi-automatic like a Thorens TD-something that they can bring, even if they bring it to sell but allow it to be used in the demo? You know, one with solenoid driven tonearm lift at the end of a record

This is definitely still needed (even if, as above, it's kinda close to splitting hairs). The only semi-automatic turntable I have which is close to operational is a Philips 312, and that's not truly an auto-return type (just lifts the tonearm and stops the platter, IIRC). A simple Pioneer/Kenwood/Technics/etc. deck would do just fine, as long as it returns the tonearm to the rest point once it's done. Anyway, see you there!
-Adam

Interesting.
I thought semi-automatic meant tonearm lift only, like a Thorens, not return to rest and shutoff.
That misconception is just why this will be a valuable presentation.

Last edited:
LP record de-static and gunk removal talk / demo

I would like to give an informal demo / talk on a very effective way to apparently PERMENENTLY eliminate static charges from LPs while at the same time lifting out all of the dust & gunk in your $.25 Goodwill / garage sale Don Ho records.

This is the R.E.G. Williamson Record Mask / de-stat 'Facial' - it takes some up-front work, and it ain't quick to do, but the potential benefits are well worth it.

Recent thread HERE with details, recipe, sources of ingredients, etc.

The original Article from Audio Amateur HERE

Pertinent / Cliffs Notes:
The surface is coated with a special
inert material—material, that is, that has no
effect upon the vinyl from which the record is
made. It is applied after being dissolved in an
equally harmless solvent; the solvent dries out,
leaving a pliable film that has penetrated deep
down into the bottom of the groove. This traps
within the plastic film all the most tenacious
grit and grime. On removal of the film, the
record surface is left in pristine condition; more
often than not, if there is negligible wear, with a
quieter surface than when it left the pressing
plant. You don’t believe me? Well, it is
absolutely true and I have proved it over and
over again in public demonstration. So read on.

And -

He also reports that he has successfully added 0.5%
of de-stat to his Elvanol mixture as it cooled
and that the applied “facial” then
effectively removes the static charge from
the record surface at the same time that it is
cleaned. Probably the cheapest source of
proper alcohol for this project
is a nice bottle of vodka.

Some of you may remember Audio Amateur magazine, sadly defunct now, as is 'Old Colony Sound" - their store - they used to sell a kit of this stuff, all of which is is readily available EXCEPT until recently the vital anti-static liquid.

As mentioned in the thread above, AKer and all-around swell guy Mr. DizRotus / Neil has wrangled a gallon of the stuff and it is now available through his kind efforts - (Be sure to READ the entire thread and the link to the Klipsch Forum)

My Plan is to bring some extra pre-made facial, so you could bring a record that is gunked up or dusty, apply the goo, carefully take it home and after it dries (5-12 hrs) test the effects yourself.

P.s. Especially suited to the anal-retentive record enthusiast, as the glycerine I used came from 'Fleet' laxitive liquid suppositories....

Last edited:
Does anyone have a semi-automatic like a Thorens TD-something that they can bring, even if they bring it to sell but allow it to be used in the demo? w1jim, When would you like to do your demo?

I have a Luxman P100 fully automatic table I could bring if still needed. My first Frankenfest!

Interesting.
I thought semi-automatic meant tonearm lift only, like a Thorens, not return to rest and shutoff.
That misconception is just why this will be a valuable presentation.

Yep, there are many, many different types of turntables out there. It's a good thing that I'm not going to get into the countless variations of record changers, or we'd probably be there all night... :boring:

I have a Luxman P100 fully automatic table I could bring if still needed. My first Frankenfest!

I think I'm all set as far as fully automatic turntables go. Thanks for the offer, though!
-Adam

Ooh, fresh meat - you'll have to learn the secret handshake (it involves taking money out of your wallet and hauling home treasure).

Jim's absolutely right! I do the secret handshake every time I go (much to the dismay of my parents :D). I've been to two fests so far....

Jim's absolutely right! I do the secret handshake every time I go (much to the dismay of my parents :D). I've been to two fests so far....

Let me guess .... The secret password is "Cash we dash.....Credit forget it".

If a Linear Tracker is needed I can bring my big beast of a Technics SL-M3 to to the Fest. It's got a recent Soundsmith Level 2 rebuilt Adcom HP/E II high output moving coil cartridge on it.
Just let me know.

Also, is there any need for a higher end, high output solid state amp?
I could box up my Perreaux Prisma 350P and bring it along.
This mosfet beast will power just about any speaker known to man.
Again, just let me know.

Al. Wise

If a Linear Tracker is needed I can bring my big beast of a Technics SL-M3 to to the Fest. It's got a recent Soundsmith Level 2 rebuilt Adcom HP/E II high output moving coil cartridge on it.
Just let me know.
Al. Wise

Only if you're absolutely OK with bringing it there. I was planning on using one of my Beograms as a model, but I'm sure the others could do with a change... ;)
-Adam

Only if you're absolutely OK with bringing it there. I was planning on using one of my Beograms as a model, but I'm sure the others could do with a change... ;)
-Adam

No problem Adam,

I'll bring the SL-M3 along just in case.
It doesn't hurt to have a second string in the game.

Al. Wise

Great job on the turntable workshop!!!!

Thanks
Glenn

Glad you enjoyed it! I was trying not to make it too boring, and I think I succeeded. Of course, I think the equipment had more 'stage fright' than I did (I'm looking at you, Technics SL-1301... :nono:) Anyway, I'm attaching an outline of what I talked about during the presentation (slightly amended at Don's request), as well as the diagram I passed around pertaining to idler drive turntables. Thanks again to Don for helping get things set up, and to Al for bringing that wonderful SL-M3! I hope I didn't drool on it too much... :D
-Adam

Attachments

• idlerdrive.gif
    idlerdrive.gif
    12 KB · Views: 19
  • ttpresentation.pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I didn't get to attend this Adam, but I did get very positive feedback from many people. Well done!

Frank C.

Glad you enjoyed it! I was trying not to make it too boring, and I think I succeeded. Of course, I think the equipment had more 'stage fright' than I did (I'm looking at you, Technics SL-1301... :nono:) Anyway, I'm attaching an outline of what I talked about during the presentation (slightly amended at Don's request), as well as the diagram I passed around pertaining to idler drive turntables. Thanks again to Don for helping get things set up, and to Al for bringing that wonderful SL-M3! I hope I didn't drool on it too much... :D
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom