Winter New England Frankenfest - confirmed for Clinton, MA!

A question for Fest veterans, how typical were the demos, both in terms of available space and choice of music? It seemed like just about everybody was putting on classic rock just to be heard above the general din.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun, and of course everybody should play whatever they please. This is not about individual musical choices. But a roomful of audio and music nuts with a median age probably well north of 50, but no Beatles, Beethoven, Brubeck for some 4 hours straight? (See what I did there? And I could have said Mozart, Miles, Motown just as well.) Nobody sets up one of those lovely analog tuners to pull in WICN (jazz) or WCRB (classical)? That did surprise me.

Just the luck of the draw, maybe?

At any rate, maybe for the next edition some nooks throughout the building will be available to set up for some non-competitive listening. I'm already thinking about what to bring!

People play what they like - there is obviously no play list. If there was something specific you wanted to hear on a particular system all you had to do was ask.

This time around we were severely space constrained - usually we have space upstairs available to us.
That being said the spaces we have available to us in even the best of times are hardly acoustically optimal. In the past the Clinton location was more flexible - now the building has a higher occupancy.

While it would be cool to have decent listening spaces the reality is that these events are not the venue for serious listening, although in the past when we had more space there were some good opportunities for critical listening.
Setting up gear is fine - but these are primarily social and swap events as of late.
Also, the Walpole location we've twice used had 2 separate listening rooms - problem is that we had lower turnout - likely because of the increased travel distance for many.

So - if people want to make these events better they need to step up - I don't know if folks realize this but for the past few years I've been the one coordinating all of this - and through the generosity of Frank and Brian I've been able to find venues.
Personally I'd like to see if we could find a better venue. But, I'm not looking to expend more effort finding another location - and the locations we've been using have been free.

Ideally I think a location between Worcester and Hartford would be great - and closer to population centers- it would be a little further for our northern attendees but closer for others.

This brings up the possibility of paying for a location - but that would take some organization and commitment. I figure this last event we had about 80 participants - the winter event is always our biggest. The summer and fall events are usually more like 50 guaranteed.

If we had to pay for a venue I'm guessing we'd have to budget $500 for the day - that means we'd need $10 per person paid in advance. Any surplus we could donate to AK or another worthy charity. But again, this takes planning.

I'm happy to continue coordinating at the current level, but I f someone wants to step up then that would be welcome.

Feel free to make comments or suggestions.

A question for Fest veterans, how typical were the demos, both in terms of available space and choice of music? It seemed like just about everybody was putting on classic rock just to be heard above the general din.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun, and of course everybody should play whatever they please. This is not about individual musical choices. But a roomful of audio and music nuts with a median age probably well north of 50, but no Beatles, Beethoven, Brubeck for some 4 hours straight? (See what I did there? And I could have said Mozart, Miles, Motown just as well.) Nobody sets up one of those lovely analog tuners to pull in WICN (jazz) or WCRB (classical)? That did surprise me.

Just the luck of the draw, maybe?

At any rate, maybe for the next edition some nooks throughout the building will be available to set up for some non-competitive listening. I'm already thinking about what to bring!

This was the most tight fit of the fests weve had over the years at franks. usually there is a big room towards the back that is available as well as the fine gentleman Peter whos space we used to have down the hall on the right as well as a couple rooms and a hallway upstairs. The space available changes by whats not rented out. As far as the music, that changes with every fest as well, it just depends on who's there and what they bring. I have sat and listened to miles davis on franks altecs many times, a treat I didn't get to indulge in this time,boo, but theres always next time!.
I'd like to thank Frank for his gracious hospitality and to Jim for organizing this wonderful event.
It was great to catch up with old friends and to meet some new folks as well. Hope to see you all again at the summerfest.

What Jim said.

I know a number of landlords with space who would probably be willing to allow access to vacant space (usually in "shell" condition), but they would not be free and we may have to meet some insurance requirements.

The key to Clinton is Frank's a tenant and we are his guests so whatever legal implications regarding parking or use of the space or (God forbid) an emergency, would presumably be covered under his lease. Plus, Frank's cool.

The key to Walpole is that I can get access to the space for free as long as the Use Waiver is signed, which most people have complied with, and the space is available.

Neither situation is ideal, but they *usually* meet our needs. To be honest this is the first time in about 5 years of attendance that I've seen Clinton so cramped. Might be temporary, might not.

So, options are
1) stay the course and deal with bumps in the road. Make adjustments as needed

2) seek an alternate and get more "organized". Maybe this means having only one or two events, but having them in more central locations and with more formal accommodations. Maybe this means vendor dues or admission fees.

-- 2a) hotel or conference center
-- 2b) vacant office space
-- 2c) public meeting Hall or school (with limited access to alcohol)

Suggestions welcome.

One more thought, I can get access to a much larger office-type space in Taunton MA through the same Use Waiver as Walpole. And it would be free. And it's definitely vacant.

If that's of interest, I could lock it in for June

First off, it was great to see Frank!
Well that sure was a fun and loud day! Largest turnout I've seen with the least amount of space! And it worked. Great conversation, great gear being demoed, great gear and vinyl for sale, great weather and food! That smoked turkey was fabulous!i also bought some vinyl myself, stuff I had back in the day on 8-track tapes! Now I can hear how they were meant to sound!
Can't wait until the next fest in June!
I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks for chiming in Brian - in my opinion while the space in Taunton would be excellent it is just too far for people to travel.
But I am willing to follow the consensus on location.

BTW - there was in fact some room in Frank's shop space that no one took advantage of - maybe I should have sent some folks into there.

All being said I didn't see anyone who didn't look like they were having a great time!

One more thought, I can get access to a much larger office-type space in Taunton MA through the same Use Waiver as Walpole. And it would be free. And it's definitely vacant.

If that's of interest, I could lock it in for June
Any venue location and requirements are ok with me. Hit the GPS, pay or sign a waiver, it's all good!

Sorry if it sounded like negative criticism, that wasn't at all my intention. It just seemed statistically odd.

Obviously I have nothing to compare this edition to but it was great, and the location could hardly be more convenient for me. I'd be much less likely to trek out of MA, or even to Walpole.

I also think the free, makeshift, potluck format is a big part of the fun. (I think you guys liked my beignets.) I wouldn't want to lose any of that. I suppose there may be restraints on what Frank can do with the space "for profit" i.e. a fixed admission price might not work with his lease or go over well with the other tenants, etc. No idea. But I'd be happy to make a voluntary donation or buy a sticker or what have you. Not as rent but maybe towards the food, supplies, hired clean-up, that sort of thing.

Jim mentioned that Taunton would be "too far for people to travel." For which people? I'm not one to contribute my two cents with any validity, because my book project has kept me away for the last few meetings, but I just did a directions search from New York City, and it's 3h17 to Clinton from NYC, and 3h30 to Taunton. So less than a 15 minute difference. If the Taunton location could provide more space and flexibility, and less hassle for Frank, especially if better listening isolation, wouldn't Taunton be a viable alternative? Driving to Taunton is a half hour longer for me coming from VT (2h45 instead of 2h15) but it's a hike any way I look at it. It would seem to me for anyone coming from Boston it's no diff, and for anyone traveling from CT/NY/NJ/PA it's going to be a long drive and pretty similar times whether it's to Clinton or Taunton. Yes?

Some of you who are also into cameras may be familiar with a comparable event in our region, the PHSNE Photographica show. I've only been to a few of them, and not for a couple of years now. I see they've had to move locations once again, and it's down to one show per year. No doubt due to declining attendance.

Now, this is a much more organized affair, run by an actual club, with dealers paying for space, $5 admission for non-members, and a live auction. The venues I know about have all been American Legion halls, hardly ideal for us.

Would we want to go that route? I imagine as soon as we make sellers and buyers pay, it becomes a whole lot more of a legal headache, and the IRS takes notice.

Just throwing this in for comparison. Personally I would prefer small-ish and free. Yesterday's crowd probably had a lot to do with the weather and other businesses in the building.

I think Walpole or Taunton is going to have to be the next step. As parking space, vendor space, and listening space dwindles in Clinton, something is going to have to change. And, of course, there were more people than ever....so things were even tighter! As much as I love driving out to Clinton, and hanging with my AK family, things are changing with the ol' factory and the ol' factory parking. It might be further for some people, but I bet Taunton and Walpole are closer for more people. Who knows? Anyway, killer meet...I'll post some photos soon.

Yes, this is the most cramped I've ever seen these shows in the ~7 years I've been attending. When Jim announced the sort of space we'd have available, I quickly realized that there probably wouldn't be much room for demo systems, and abandoned my plans to bring my 'new' McIntosh gear for show-and-tell as I'd mentioned earlier in the thread. Hopefully, we can figure out a satisfactory way to bring these meets to the next level. Wherever we end up, I'll do my best to make it there. :thumbsup:
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom