Winter New England FrankenFest Saturday March 10, 2018 Sutton MA

Great event! I liked the space.
Kudos to whoever the generous soul was who bought pizza!
How about a flag for the table and whoever has the flag can play music and talk, then pass the flag to someone else...

Historically the summer events were the most poorly attended - but if you'd like to host one let us all know when and where.

I'm actually looking into getting the American legion hall here in Plaistow for sometime in june/july. I think its only a hundred bux to rent the hall. the hall is very good sized, they have handicap ramps, plenty o parking and a bar downstairs.

I think it would be great if we had some sort of routine for letting everyone who wants to show off a system or two do so without having to compete with everyone else in the room. Doesn't have to the whole day, but maybe an hour or so in the middle of the event would be sufficient. Obviously there would have to be fairly strict time limits on anyone's moment in the sun so a moderator/timer (with a loud voice and firm demeanor) would be needed, and some sort of sign up so timing could be set. I would suspect people would find it helpful for selling equipment (or at least good equipment), and it might be a pleasant respite from the usual random din. It also might focus the event a bit, for better or worse, and might make it seem more normal to also have workshops or classes, since people would be expecting something somewhat organized. This, in turn might help to attract new attendees, especially if we could figure out a way to publicize beyond AK itself.

Big thanks to everyone involved for inaugural Sutton AK Fest! It was awesome to see such a big turnout at a non-Clinton location, the space was great, and the gear was moving fast. I left with less than I came with, which is of course a seldom-reached goal for most AKers. My girlfriend even had a good time seeing audio nerdity is all its glory. That LD copy of Speed's gonna decorate her office at work.

Also, I forgot to remember the name of a gentleman who had an Acurus P10 preamp he was going to be selling. If you see this, drop me a PM.

Today I made the following donations from the proceeds our event - which includes the door charge and shirt sales:
  • $175 to AudioKarma to contribute towards their operating expenses
  • $175 to Compassionate Care ALS in honor of Don aka Audiodon. They did a ton of good things for Don and his family including the loan of a lot of equipment, counsel and advice, advocacy, etc.
    https://ccals.org/
  • Immediately after the event I made a donation of $50 to the American Legion Scholarship fund. I should note that the Legion is highly rated as an organization that contributes all (most of?) their funds to worthy causes. Also, this will keep us in their good graces.
In addition we have fully paid for the hall rental on October 20th for our fall event.

For the next event I'm planning that we charge a $5 door charge which should cover some minor expenses (cups, soda, water, etc) and the hall rental for the 2019 winter event. Hopefully the interest in FrankenFest will continue for years to come.

Thanks for everyone's support and cooperation in making these run smoothly.

That sounds wonderful. Thank you for your efforts and thoughtfulness - I think everyone will agree those are worthy causes, and it's good for us to look beyond ourselves.

Here are some thoughts regarding the next event (October 10th, same location) - as we hone our process.

I like the idea of scheduling "listening periods" and the flag system that Ed suggested.
But - we need someone to step up and and volunteer to be the "Auditioning Coordinator".
Keep in mind that for this last event we basically had three people (myself, Darren on the organizational end and Bill Ashton generously helping me man the door).
There is no big committee - so if you want to see something else done YOU will have to do it.

If people want to have seminars you will have to organize it - we tried to have a seminar at this event but for a variety of reasons it didn't work out - hey, that's life.

In the past people have volunteered and put on seminars on subjects such as adding a subwoofer to your system, setting up turntables, opamp comparisons, comparing original to recapped gear, and so on.
Also, members have made and burned free CD's to give out - a sampling of music that they really like.

Personally I'd like to see another TT setup seminar and a cable comparisons / construction seminar.
But it has to be driven by motivated individuals!

As far as publicizing it beyond the immediate AK family - I have posted it on various FaceBook forums and told people who I've met selling gear to. Also the Boston Audio Society promotes it.

But - we do not want to advertise it on CraigsList and make it into a big uncontrollable monster full of "evil flippers".
The way it is now you can walk away from your table and not worry that someone's going to swipe a record or a phono cartridge.
So, while we love to see new faces (aka "fresh meat") we need to be careful.

Now, I had a great time at this past event and while I did get a chance to walk around (thanks to Bill) I didn't get to participate completely or set up a table of treasures for sale like I normally do. I figured since this was "new" I should focus on getting it to run smoothly and addressing potential issues.
But - at the next event it sure would be nice if we could get a few folks to share the load.

As far as the $10 entry fee absolutely no one had any complaints about that, which was nice - and next time it'll only be $5, so that's a plus.

Thanks all!

Today I made the following donations from the proceeds our event - which includes the door charge and shirt sales:
  • $175 to AudioKarma to contribute towards their operating expenses
  • $175 to Compassionate Care ALS in honor of Don aka Audiodon. They did a ton of good things for Don and his family including the loan of a lot of equipment, counsel and advice, advocacy, etc.
    https://ccals.org/
  • Immediately after the event I made a donation of $50 to the American Legion Scholarship fund. I should note that the Legion is highly rated as an organization that contributes all (most of?) their funds to worthy causes. Also, this will keep us in their good graces.
In addition we have fully paid for the hall rental on October 20th for our fall event.

For the next event I'm planning that we charge a $5 door charge which should cover some minor expenses (cups, soda, water, etc) and the hall rental for the 2019 winter event. Hopefully the interest in FrankenFest will continue for years to come.

Thanks for everyone's support and cooperation in making these run smoothly.

Absolutely fantastic result. Well done boys and girls.

Here are some thoughts regarding the next event (October 10th, same location) - as we hone our process.

I like the idea of scheduling "listening periods" and the flag system that Ed suggested.
But - we need someone to step up and and volunteer to be the "Auditioning Coordinator".
Keep in mind that for this last event we basically had three people (myself, Darren on the organizational end and Bill Ashton generously helping me man the door).
There is no big committee - so if you want to see something else done YOU will have to do it.

If people want to have seminars you will have to organize it - we tried to have a seminar at this event but for a variety of reasons it didn't work out - hey, that's life.

In the past people have volunteered and put on seminars on subjects such as adding a subwoofer to your system, setting up turntables, opamp comparisons, comparing original to recapped gear, and so on.
Also, members have made and burned free CD's to give out - a sampling of music that they really like.

Personally I'd like to see another TT setup seminar and a cable comparisons / construction seminar.
But it has to be driven by motivated individuals!

As far as publicizing it beyond the immediate AK family - I have posted it on various FaceBook forums and told people who I've met selling gear to. Also the Boston Audio Society promotes it.

But - we do not want to advertise it on CraigsList and make it into a big uncontrollable monster full of "evil flippers".
The way it is now you can walk away from your table and not worry that someone's going to swipe a record or a phono cartridge.
So, while we love to see new faces (aka "fresh meat") we need to be careful.

Now, I had a great time at this past event and while I did get a chance to walk around (thanks to Bill) I didn't get to participate completely or set up a table of treasures for sale like I normally do. I figured since this was "new" I should focus on getting it to run smoothly and addressing potential issues.
But - at the next event it sure would be nice if we could get a few folks to share the load.

As far as the $10 entry fee absolutely no one had any complaints about that, which was nice - and next time it'll only be $5, so that's a plus.

Thanks all!
You all did a fantastic job!
Excellent and thoughtful donations as well.
I'm in total agreement with the demo listening schedule, and I would have no problem being the cop!
I think 15-20 minutes each is good, allowing 3-4 different songs to play the showcase your system.
After all demo systems have been heard, we can do another round later in the day if we wish.
Glenn

Thanks officer Glenn, I was thinking of you since you’ve done this at your NY event.

Given the number of people who might want to show something off, I suspect that five minutes each would still take up most of the day. But maybe we are a more bashful bunch than I think we are.

Given the number of people who might want to show something off, I suspect that five minutes each would still take up most of the day. But maybe we are a more bashful bunch than I think we are.
We will figure it out once we're set up and see how many actual demo systems we have.
It may be a good idea to have one demo group be for those selling, and another for those who are not.

Or, with some preplanning, we could have sound offs. I have a Niles speaker switcher with autoformers (if that's the word I want) on all pairs so amp interaction wouldn't be an issue, and I've thought it might be interesting to do comparisons of lesser know 8 inch two ways, or other designs, to gratify my curiosity.

That was a great event - - many thanks to Jim and others who worked hard to pull this off. As always there was plenty of fine gear, and this time I brought along a noob and even got to meet a few AK'ers in person instead of online. Goods were exchanged, tunes were blasted, nobody got hurt, and we should all feel proud of the destinations where Jim chose to donate the excess take at the door. :)

I had to stay away this time because of a budget crunch but in the event, we were snowed in and blacked out anyway. Great to see the new venue worked so well. Food table looks a little light though. Next time I can make it I'll bring a chili or something.

+1 for a Plaistow NH event in the summer

Japanese curry is the food of the gods, but almost no one makes it from scratch in Japan (or America, or anywhere else, for that matter) since the various premade varieties, which come in blocks that look like a giant tan chocolate bar, are so good and easy. House Vermont is my favorite, but S&B is easier to find - the MarketBasket in Keene NH has it, so I stop in whenever I go by.
At any rate, that offer is a a compelling one.

Back
Top Bottom