wire recorder

hifijohn

Always wanted one, have seen it many times in old magazines but never in person until a few years ago when I spotted this wards wire recorder at a local resale shop, unfortunately, it doesn t work but its still an interesting piece.
https://imgur.com/a/epYL0

Could be a fun restore project. Yours looks like the same color as a Webster, but I don't think it is. They're not real hard to work on. I recently rebuilt a Webster Model 80-1... scroll down about 1/3 of the page.

http://gymusic.blogspot.com/

When I was a kid, my dad was a Ham Radio guy who collected all kinds of old electronic gear. He had a working wire recorder that looked a whole lot like yours. I remember us local kids spending many hours recording our voices and playing them back. That was the first time we learned our voices sound different to others than they do to ourselves. That old piece of gear is long gone. Too bad. It would be fun to play back some of those old wire recordings as a 68 year-old.

Got a nice one from another AKer a few years back, mine's a Webster, came with extra spools. I had not thought of recording the history of it on a wire! But have not worked on it and got it running yet. I'll have to make a note of that. :thumbsup:

I seen only example in my travels. I have also seen a tubular record recorder which was really interesting.

Had one when I was a kid (hand me down from my uncle), other than being an interesting conversation piece, I doubt it would get much use, if any.

Picked up a pristine working Webcor example at an antique shop about 20 years ago. Still has the warranty card in it. Maybe I should send it in...

image.jpg Had one just like this WebsterChicago , even worked , but never found any reels for it , that was many moons ago , long gone now

8Sf_IArnODM

To my understanding, Hank Williams did a lot of his non-session work on a wire recorder for the purpose of recording a demo or live performance.

We had one when i was a kid, a Webcor I believe. Damn near sliced a finger off using it with out my dad's permission, it was not a great afternoon. :^(
Regards,
Jim

I would think that lubrication\cleaning of the mechanical parts and testing the tubes and checking circuit faults (like any amplifier) should do the trick.

Mark T. :music:

I refurbished one a few years ago for someone. Figure the caps will be shot and the usual control cleanings will be needed. The mechanical action has to be just right so the wire lays right and doesn't mess up. I was actually amazed at how good the sound quality was.

Back
Top Bottom