wire wrapping tool

I ended up buying a new one. I do have some unwrapping tools bought from sellers on eBay.
The wrap tool is more rare.
Check this out

I can buy it and ship it to you?

The 20 gauge tool works perfectly. It will even wrap smaller diameter wire.
Solid core hook-up wire.

I ended up buying a new one. I do have some unwrapping tools bought from sellers on eBay.
The wrap tool is more rare.
Check this out

I can buy it and ship it to you?

The same tool is cheaper here. https://www.grainger.com/product/OK...m/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2TDG3_AS02?$smthumb$

We used to use several wire wrap tools when I worked in the telephone industry. The most accurate were the electric ones, followed by the manual pistol type wire wrap guns. The hand wrapper that I used were all black. The wire most used was 22 gauge wire.

Anyone who has removed a wire wrap from a pin/terminal knows how brittle it can be.

I don't understand why such a tool is so expensive :dunno:
What's the difference between a generic one an one from ok industries.
All I see is around 60 bucks worth of difference for something that does the same job.

The hand tool does seem on the expensive side but it is a machined tool and has several pieces to it.
A related note:
A retired gentleman gave me this set of tools. He said anyone who knew what they were, deserved them.
He was retired from AT&T.
Found at a community yard sale.

DSC04203.JPG

The one is a punch tool for pinch type connection.
The white are for installing the plastic cord connectors for the phones. Obsolete.

wow this is a real drama! apparently after clicking your link in the "also viewed" row was the real deal i click on the item and it said "does NOT ship to the U.S." went to buy it and it wont ship anywhwere EXCEPT the us. not even a fpo or apo! i guess one will turn up eventually!

not under hw-uw-20.most are 26ga and 30 ga.sort of like the idea of a tool that wraps AND un wraps 20ga wire. of course if they wont sell to me in the philippines its a moot point.

Here is some info you might want to consider:

Unwrapping is only done when you are going to replace the wire. It is highly not recommended to re-wrap a connection that has been unwrapped. A reconnection should be done with a new wire, or at least a freshly exposed section of wire.

Wire wrapping creates a gas-tight electrical connection with a longer lifespan than a flow-soldered connection, Exposed wire becomes brittle and the nicks from a previous wrapping makes the re-wrapped connection not gas-tight and not reliable over time. Properly done, the corners of the wrap pin dig into the wire, and there is where the gas-tight connection is formed. Over time the connection can actually get better. You cannot make a reliable connection unless the wire is specifically made for wrapping. As stated, it is not just a mechanical connection. Simple mechanical connections become unreliable over time, due to corrosion.

Now to wrapping and re-wrapping Pioneer connections. Wrap was a manufacturing expediency, reducing cost on connectors, and allowing for individual wire connections, distributed around boards, rather than gathering at connectors, which generally requires multi-layered boards for signal routing. The wires Pioneer used are generally standard wires with wrappable ends only. If you want to unwrap and re-wrap, you will need new wires, which are unobtainium. If you need to disconnect, leave the wraps in place and un-solder the pins, soldering them back in when ready. If you unwrap, when you re-wrap, apply solder to the wrap.

Again, and finally, I strongly advise against unwrapping connections, then re-wrapping the same wires back. Your results may be deceivingly functional, but only just, and not good for the long run. I know what I'm talking about. I made my living for years, creating prototype products, and building them with thousands of wire-wrap connections.

Here is an example of my work (the processing core for my midi-based stage lighting system):

CPU Board.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
i fully realize that the unwrapped cant be re-wrapped and it is only feasible if enough slack remains. if a wire isnt long enough why cant solid conductor hookup wire be used in its place?

You may have to replace the entire wire.
The transformer wires are the biggest issue because the only workable end is connected to a board. There is never enough service lead to rewrap the connection.
I like to keep the original factory connections for that authentic look. That's why I have the tooling.

I can add that the tension for wrapping wire around a terminal is significantly more using a automatic machine vs a manual machine or tool. I have an old Cooper wire wrap gun from the 80's, that I used to do ckt boards as Rich P. showed above. I do not have the 20 awg tooling however.

I can add that the tension for wrapping wire around a terminal is significantly more using a automatic machine vs a manual machine or tool. I have an old Cooper wire wrap gun from the 80's, that I used to do ckt boards as Rich P. showed above. I do not have the 20 awg tooling however.

...although one of the links above suggests it does not matter (the link from Zebulon1, at the bottom of it.)

Probably it is a "workmanships issue", because myself I could not make the same nice wraps as the electrical tool did (and back then nobody told me how to do it, so instead of persisting learning myself I quickly decided always use the gun)

I still have about ten boards of this type below saved from the scrapyard, one or two even bigger size, which I may use one day, after retirement (which is several years to go....)

Attachments

• divers2003_0308_162927AA.JPG
    divers2003_0308_162927AA.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Reactions: trs
Back
Top Bottom