wireless speaker connections

jami w.

just being me thats all
is there a way to send signal to speakers besides cable from the reciever? the way i have my system set up, i cant hide the cables. and i dont like speaker cables run along edge of ceiling/an floors, just tacky and down right ugly looking.
(the same way a guitar can run wireless to the amp/speaker cabinet.)

You need powered speakers, that is, each speaker includes its own power amp. You will still need to plug in the speaker to get power to it, but many of these powered speakers have a wireless input.

I like Klipsch speakers, although I do not have any that are wireless. Check out https://www.klipsch.com/wireless

It adds several layers of processing between you and the source but if this doesn't bother you, then continue.

First off, you'll need some sort of transmitter on the receiver end.

Then, you'll need a receiver of some sort for the speakers.

Then, that receiver will need amplifiers to feed the speaker themselves. Naturally, this will make your receiver's amps useless.

I'm not sure exactly sure how those Klipsch speakers work but you might want to communicate with them and ask them what you would need..

Last edited:
If you think that replacing a length of wire with two radios and two computers is an elegant engineering solution, go for it.

Otherwise, you could treat a negative as a positive, and boast about it. Get some inch-thick wires, preferably named after a species of snake, and give them prominent display, in plain sight, on cable risers, like the Bay Bridge. Then proudly point them out, and make sure you mention their extravagant cost.

:smoke:

They do make cable covers that are printable so they blend in to the wall. I use one to cover all the cables going up to my tv. It's painted the same color as the wall. You don't even notice it. It's about 3 inches wide. You can get them from about a half inch wide on up.

If you don't have a lot of cables you can also hide them under the moulding along the floor. Much easier to do if you have carpeting. It should just tuck under with a little push.

Considering it sounds like you already have an amplifier/receiver and speakers you like, the expense and potential compromise of switching to either wireless speakers or separate wireless amplifiers for your existing speakers are both going to be considerable. Any solution will be expensive, and a solution that sounds as good as what you can achieve with a decent wired system will be very expensive.

Maybe you should look into running the cables through the walls if that's an option in your living situation.

For music or HT? Latency might be an issue for the latter (Wifi or Aptx)
Seems like WISA may have died on the vine?
http://www.wisaassociation.org/
I picked up some wireless surrounds recently, but they are OOS now (closeouts) and haven't tried them yet.
FWIW, I routed out channels in my baseboard molding to run my surround wiring in...
Otherwise, powered wireless speakers (Bluetooth, streaming, etc) seem to be 'where the market is' today?
Good luck!

Get small amps that can do stereo BT wirelessly, glue them to your speaker.
Voila = only only power.

I used one inch wide copper tape spaced a few inches apart to get signal to all my surround channels in the living room. They are minimus 7s mounted up by the ceiling. After soldering 16 gauge wire to the copper I hooked up the speakers and hung them up. I covered the tape with Sheetrock compound and painted to match the walls. You can’t tell the tape is there. Been working for years.

I used one inch wide copper tape spaced a few inches apart to get signal to all my surround channels in the living room. They are minimus 7s mounted up by the ceiling. After soldering 16 gauge wire to the copper I hooked up the speakers and hung them up. I covered the tape with Sheetrock compound and painted to match the walls. You can’t tell the tape is there. Been working for years.

Interesting idea. How thick is the copper? It looks like you'd need 2 mil or thicker to match the resistivity of 16 gauge wire. Did you consider playing with overlapping/spacing the wires to try to impedance match the load? Not sure how you'd think about that with something so different over a wide frequency range as a speaker.

I went as far as to weigh a 12” long piece of tape and compare it with stripped wire of different gauges. IIRC it worked out to 16-18 ga. Good enough for surround speakers.

@jami w. I see a wooden floor in your room. Is there a basement or crawl-space below that would give access to running speaker wire under the floor with a few small holes?

Back
Top Bottom