1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Wires, Wires, Wires: How do you keep them tidy?

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by pja786, Jan 16, 2017.

1. pja786

pja786 New Member

Hi All!

Let's face it, I have extreme OCD and I am curious: how does everyone keep their cables organized and tidy? Seeing a nest of cables drives me nuts, so I'd love to hear what methods ya'll use to prevent messy cables from reducing your sound system's beauty.

I know some people cut holes into the walls, but I'm not super experienced and I rent, so my LL probably wouldn't be too happy. But I am curious--do the DIY'ers find in-wall wire set up difficult? I feel as though the major downside with in-wall wires is that it's much more tough to move your speakers, etc.

Are there a lot of people who opt to go wireless? This would reduce the headache of wires, but my experience is the sound quality is diminished and there's less warm tones. Also, there's a visceral enjoyment to plugging in speaker wires--that may be just me.

Feel free to send pics of your setup, looking for ideas. Thanks!

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

I don't ... life's too short ... <G>

[​IMG]

jblnut, Rog50, nj pheonix and 5 others like this.
  3. CrawfishKing

CrawfishKing Active Member

I never keep my speaker grills on, so I use them to blackout the rats nest behind my main system. The speaker cables travel under the area rug to stay discreet.

Matt

matteos and pja786 like this.
  4. KDAC

KDAC Super Member

Plain ole twist ties of the sort you'd find on a loaf of bread or similar product. It's not a fancy solution, but they get the job done. The 16 AWG speaker wires and accompanying subwoofer cable run about ~15 feet from the rear of stereo, under a nearby rug in the center of my living room, and eventually along the baseboard of the opposite wall en route to the appropriate loudspeaker and aforementioned sub. They come in a plethora of colors and are beyond easy to replace.

pja786 likes this.
  5. pja786

pja786 New Member

Makes sense. I've used alligator clips before and rubber bands.

6. CrawfishKing

CrawfishKing Active Member

I've had elastic bands melt if close to a floor vent or tubes. Only once, but it was messy enough that I've never done it again lol

Matt

pja786 likes this.
  7. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Try some of those velcro wire organizers you can get in the electrics section of the hardware store. They come in all sorts of purdy colors and black too.:biggrin:

Old Guy8 and Bob in WI like this.
  8. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

My favorite way is to have as few components as possible to get the job done and keep the wires as short as possible. Why create a mess in the first place to have to tidy up later?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  9. MikE

MikE Color Me Gone

Basically zip ties but if you reconfigure your cables often you might consider something else. You'll find a host of cool options at The Container Store. I use a variety of fasteners.

upload_2017-1-17_6-44-11.png

smurfer77 and pja786 like this.
  10. Onebean

Onebean AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a few sets of RCA's I use while testing equipment and switching stuff around. Once a component finds it's home, I build my own RCA or speaker cables so I get the exact length I want. The only extra cord length I really deal with is the AC cords. For those I use zip ties to control the excess.

Onebean

11. jcamero

jcamero You Can't Close the Door When the Wall's Caved IN! Subscriber

No pic, but I have my components on top of a closed back bookshelf, (holds my albums), thus hiding the wires. Still a mess behind it!

12. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

:thumbsup:

13. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 Lunatic Member

Answer: I don't :(

-- but, if I did, I'd use split-loom tubing.

Actually, I even have used it in the past.
    Here is one arbitrarily chosen example for illustration:

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/split-loom-tubing/2197

[​IMG]
    I have a whole bunch of the stuff in grey that I bought from IKEA years ago; there are, I am sure, higher-quality variants available.

chef free likes this.
  14. Lesterbest

Lesterbest Super Member

You can use cable ties. Don't over tighten. Run all signal cables together & all ACs together. Have ACs & signal cables cross @ right angles. You can run digital & analog signal cables together, provided all are shielded. No, cable ties do not require burn in.

saggy and Uncle Paul like this.
  15. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 Lunatic Member

Come to think of it, the electricians who wired our house used a bunch of these (although I am not exactly sure for what -- I just found a bunch of 'em, loose, scattered around in the basement).

This link offered for information only; I've never purchased these myself, but they could be useful for easily reversible wire bundling.
    http://www.newark.com/pro-power/tt-15/cable-tie-twist-on-13-16mm-pk100/dp/24M8692

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chef free likes this.
  16. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

I use cable ties and segregate the power from signal cables.

I also use the adhesive backed cable tie mounts to hold the bundles in place.

17. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

PVC drain pipes. Painted Magenta. Satin finish.

18. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

That is my favorite method, too.

19. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind Subscriber

I use Velcro ties which are good, but they're always sticking together in a big wad. I also use Ty-Raps and the stick-on bases for more permanent installations. Lately for portable cables that are constantly coiled and un-coiled I've been using this MacGyver'd cable tie I put together form junk in my drawer at work - heavy duty pony tail holders and key rings. They work great and don't get balled-up like Velco ties.
    IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

faber12, JoeESP9 and PastTechFan like this.
  20. classic carl

classic carl Got Vinyl? Subscriber

Cable management is over rated.