Wisdom & expertise needed & appreciated

3kitty

Small-ish room - 12 X 10

Listening position - 8 ft. from system/speakers

Simple set-up - Pioneer SA-6800 Integrated / Harman Kardon T60c w Shure V15
III / Yamaha cd / Boston Acoustic A70's rotating with
Pioneer S-710 L/R mirror ....see pic attatchment

Room - carpeted / drywalled

Furniture - other half of room from where you see system / so in front of the system rack - desk on one wall, display hutch & record storage on the opposite wall / listening chair directly in front of rack with large tapestry hanging behind chair

--------------------------------------------------

So you can see from the pic this is a basement "man-cave" with the usual small basement window directly behind the rack. That door in the upper right hand corner is where the breaker box is.

I will "never" have perfect acoustics in this room - I get that!
But from what I have read I am thinking about placing directly behind the system, floor to ceiling and wall to wall heavy black curtains. I am hoping to confirm here that this would be at least somewhat beneficial in the acoustical presentation in this room? Would that be the case or would the positive results be minimal at best and not worth the investment....or just a bad idea with no benefit, plain and simple?

One other thing I was contemplating was along one wall (length of room) doing a feature wall of stained tongue and groove spruce - not for acoustics but simply for the look. But would having a solid wood wall actually be detrimental to good acoustics compared with just leaving it drywall?

Your thoughts very much appreciated!! Any clarifying questions welcome!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=445422&d=1375222442

I wouldn't expect a lot from the heavy drapes/curtains. They may tame some high end, but will do nothing in the mid region where the majority of musical content resides. If you can execute any of the following you'll do much, much better....

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446798

If you go tongue and groove over the drywall there will be no change in acoustics....it'll still be highly reflective which is precisely what you don't want.

I can't see the entire room but from what I can see it appears pretty tidy and uncluttered. You have a great foundation for a proper listening space and if you'll treat it properly (acoustically) you'll have a room to be proud of, show off and enjoy the hell out of spending time in because I can pretty much guarantee it'll sound better than what you're accustomed to.

- Michael

Last edited:
But would having a solid wood wall actually be detrimental to good acoustics compared with just leaving it drywall?
Not much difference compared to drywall. Maybe a little bit worse. Try to avoid doing anything that makes your room less left-right symmetric.

There doesn't seem to be anything too remarkable about your room. All of the standard advice you can find in this thread should apply. Absorbers at first reflection points, and probably on the front wall (behind your speakers). Bass traps in the front or the back corners.

I don't see any reason you can't have excellent acoustics.

Try to avoid doing anything that makes your room less left-right symmetric.

Absorbers at first reflection points...
I don't see any reason you can't have excellent acoustics.

If stereo image/sweet spot is what you are looking for, controlling the reflection points is critical. You can experiment with a heavy blanket on the side wall and behind the listening chair.

For a different way/sound, you could also move the speakers to either side of the listening chair and sit in between, much like headphones.

Thanks for all the info!
Lots here for sure.

I will take a close look at everything and decide where to go from there.

Much appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom